The Toon- Geordie Style (It's back!)

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Monday 21st January

The African Cup of Nations started on the 19th and by today every team had played their opening game. As usual with the African Cup of Nations there has been a few upsets already. Lots of Premiership stars featured in the first round and many will keep on featuring. 4 Newcastle players have gone on international duty to appear in the Competition. These players include 2 regulars and 1 player that was breaking into the team. Habib Beye, Abdoulaye Faye, Obafemi Martins and Celestine Babayaro all are with their respective countries and all players represented Newcastle in the First Round of the African Cup of Nations.

Group A

Cameroon 1 - 2 Angola
Ivory Coast 2 - 0 Nigeria

Only Martins and Babayaro appeared in this group, both playing for Nigeria in the first match of Group A. Most notable players from the Premiership included Drogba, who scored, and Kalou.

Group B

Tunisia 0 - 3 Togo
Senegal 2 - 1 South Africa

Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye both started for Senegal in their 2-1 win against South Africa. Papa Diop, Henri Camara and Emmanuel Adebayor are just a few Premiership players that were involved in Group B.

Group C

Mozambique 2 - 2 Zambia
Morroco 2 - 1 Egypt

No representatives for us in this group. Middlesbrough striker Mido and midfielder Skawky both represented Egypt alongside Tottenham player Hossam Ghaly.

Group D

Republic of Congo 1 - 3 Mali
Gabon 0 - 2 Ghana

Again, no-one from Newcastle played. Sissoko and Traore were the only players from England to be involved for Mali. Whilst players like Muntari, Boateng and Essien represented Ghana.

An unusal start to the African Cup of Nations 2008, as Group C seems to be in a bit of a pickle as Mozambique or Zambia could cause an upset. Group A and Group B are wide open, with Cameroon surprisingly losing against Angola in their first match. Group B is the group of death with Tunisia, Togo, South Africa and Senegal all realisticly in with a chance. So far Adebayor is the top goalscorer and pre favourites Ghana and Ivory Coast both won. Stay tuned to find out more on the African Cup of Nations.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Those 1-2 results have been so close.. Especially a surprise display there against Angola. I would like to see Ghana and Togo clashing with each other in some time later though ;)

Very Neat, Jazzy! :)

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Wednesday 23rd January

After our previous thrashing of local rivals Middlesbrough in our last game, we have made few signings, although vital ones. First of all 20 year old Belgian defender Anthony Vanden Borre came to us from Fiorentina for £6,500,000. He has the potential to be a leading Premiership right back in the future, and I just hope he can fufill his potential. Michael Woods, a 17 year old from Chelsea was the next to move to St.James Park for a massive £5,000,000! Another player for the future as our team is starting to have lots of backup in the youth team. These are the only two people to have moved to/from Newcastle since our last game, but there has been alot of speculation saying that we are close to buying the likes of Akinfeev, Piatti and Buonanatte. We'll see about that.

Time for the Carling Cup Semi Final second leg today, versus West Ham at Upton Park. After wining the first leg 3-0 at St.James Park, we were the favourites to win the whole competition. Owen and Martins scored in the last game but they both can't play today, as Owen has been sold and Martins is at the African Cup of Nations. We are still without Habib Beye, Celestine Babayaro, Abdoulaye Faye and Obafemi Martins so it could be a tad hard. Vanden Borre comes in for his debut, whilst Bacinovic(3rd game) and Cacapa(2nd game) also start. Stancu, Torje, Enrique and Bale make our explosive bench, in which all 4 players could easily start. This game is sure to be a cracker, if not a little difficult.

It wasn't the best of starts for us as it took us a while to wake up and get into the game. West Ham had their first chance of the Afternoon after 6 minutes, as Ashton crossed to Bellamy who then brought it down and waited for some support, before giving it back to Ashton who's shot was comfortably saved by Shay Given. Bacinovic's header nearly puts us ahead in the game but his header gets turned over the bar by the inspired keeper Robert Green. As West Ham dominate we have a chance on the break as it becomes a 2v2 and Barton puts Smith in but before he can shoot, Green is up close to him and collects the ball effortlessly. Disaste... oh what it has been disallowed. West Ham thought they took the lead when Mirel Radoi went to turn in his own box but was tripped by Ashton, who then took the ball and finished. The flag was up late, but it was definitely a free kick. Disaster strikes 1 minute later as this time West Ham take the lead! A Mota free kick on the right hand side went to the back post where Luka Modric was waiting for it, brought it down and hit it across goal to give West Ham the advantage. 1-0 West Ham after 25 minutes. Vanden Borre's brilliant cross gets headed away before we string together a few passes and end up with Emre in the box but his shot is parried away for a corner. Better football but to be honest, West Ham are still on top. GOAL! What a finish! Emre took a free kick which hit the wall but fell to Vanden Borre who took it out wide and on the edge of the box towards the bottom hit an extraordinary shot to the back post where it flew into the back of the net. Goal of the year, if only it was in the Premiership. Still, that will be a vital goal just before half time and that could see us go into the break with more confidence. Martin Atkinson blows the whistle to bring the half to an end. What an exciting first half!

One fo the most exciting first halfs this season, and no doubt in the cup. Vanden Borre is playing out of his skin in his debut which is utterly fantastic and even Smith is playing well. So far Cacapa and Bacinovic have won all their tackles and even Bacinovic has won 13 out of 15 headers, in just the first half! Nicky Butt came off towards the end of the first half, just before the goal and on came Torje who played a little part keeping possession towards the end of that half. We have been resilient at the back and were unfortunate to concede the goal, after bad marking, but going foraward and staying back has been very balanced so far. Nice to see my new tactic working, but we have to give it time. Same again in the second half, although it would be great to win. Come on lads!

Smith looks hurt out there. "Bogdan! Get warmed up mate, you'll be on soon." Smith will be the man to come off. What? Smith has scored! That's a great goal and considering he picked up a knock too. The man to get the assist and to get the ball into the box was no other than Anthony Vanden Borre. A brilliant run down the wing, he then whipped a delightful ball into the box for Alan Smith to head home. Great goal, and that gives us the lead! Straight away West Ham are on the attack and nearly equalize with Mark Noble coming close but having his shot saved. Right, subsitution time. Alan Smith played really well today but he wasn't jogging properly and I thought with our massive aggregate lead there was no point risking him, so on came Bogdan Stancu. Our midfield and Defence soon take charge with our amount of possession increasing and our actually passing getting better. Armin Bacinovic won nearly every header(15 out of 17) but his fitness wasn't the best going into the game and it hadn't got much better so off he had to come. Gareth Bale was the man to come on to finally make his debut, as a subsitute. 15 minutes to go, West Ham need to score 5 goals to go through so it is safe to say we are likely to be the victors. They sure did come close to scoring a last goal though, as with 3 minutes to go Bobby Zamora passed to Ljungberg who in loads of space hit a shot to the far post, but it cannoned of the post. The whistle goes and that marks another emphatic victory for us as we look to dominate English Football this season, and so on. Well played!

The lads did me well with the new tactic, with only one playing not really feeling comfortable with it, and that was surprisingly Charles N'Zogbia who couldn't get into the game at all. Shay Given had a great game as he had to deal with around five shots, with only one going in and that he hadn't nothing to do with. The back 3 all played well and had average games, although when Faye and Beye come back I doubt that Cacapa and Bacinovic will make the back 3. Our wing backs, N'Zogbia and Vanden Borre were different, as N'Zogbia didn't enjoy the tactic which was the opposite for debutee Anthony. Margaritescu had a solid game as Defensive Midfielder. Emre and Butt didn't really control the midfield and will probably be changed in the next game with maybe Torje and N'Zogbia coming in leaving Gareth Bale at wing back. Barton had a cracking game as an Attacking Midfielder, supplying Alan Smith all he could. Alan Smith had another awesome game as he seems to be back in form. Torje and Bale both had great games after coming on, although Stancu struggled to get with the tempo off the game. Altogether, I am very pleased. Man of the Match was obviously the very decorative debutante Anthony Vanden Borre.

In the other Semi Final, Middlesbrough drew 3-3 at home to Sheffield United, which means it will be a Middlesbrough - Newcastle Carling Cup Final! The atmosphere will be amazing and I hope we can win it and please our board and fans. They are only 16th in the league and we have beaten them twice in the Premiership this year so we should hopefully win the game. We have made offers for Jimmy Briand(ST) and Diego Buonanotte(AMC) and if they can both come it should help us in our title chase. Lulinha is the only other player definetly coming and he will be arriving on the 1st of July due to Brazilian rules. What a player he will be! Only two more games this month, with only a week left in January so we will have to snap up players fast. Away at Blacpool in the F.A Cup next before ending the month with another game away at Upton Park against West Ham. Can we continue our form? "A sketch is better than a long speech" - Napoleon Bonaparte

West Ham 1 -2 Newcastle
Vanden Borre 43
Smith 54

GK Given - 8
CB Cacapa - 7
CB Radoi(c) - 7
CB Bacinovic - 7(Sub 72)
WBR Vanden Borre - 8
WBL N'Zogbia - 7
DMC Margaritescu- 7
MC Butt - 6(Sub 40)
MC Emre - 7
AMC Barton - 8
FC Smith - 8(Sub 60)

Harper - Unused Sub
Enrique - Unused Sub
Torje - 7(On 40)
Stancu - 6(On 60)
Bale - 7(On 72)

Round The Grounds
Sheffield United 3 - 3 Middlesbrough
West Ham 1 - 2 Newcastle

covlad-99

International Cricketer
Vanden Borre. Classy player, I used to get him all the time on my old manager games, will be a big player for you Jaz. Zipping up and down that right wing from the right back position and has already bagged you a goal! As for Woods, I have seen him play for Chelsea a couple of times, and of what I have seen, he certainly isn't worth £5mil, but we'll see. Maybe the next Scott Parker after Newcastle lost him to the team you beat today :) A bit closer than I expected but still, its another 3 points!

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Vanden Borre. Classy player, I used to get him all the time on my old manager games, will be a big player for you Jaz. Zipping up and down that right wing from the right back position and has already bagged you a goal! As for Woods, I have seen him play for Chelsea a couple of times, and of what I have seen, he certainly isn't worth £5mil, but we'll see. Maybe the next Scott Parker after Newcastle lost him to the team you beat today :) A bit closer than I expected but still, its another 3 points!

It was the Carling Cup Semi Final second leg... ;)

As for Vanden Borre, he will be and is a brilliant player which is obviously why I bought him. I remember buying him on games like LMA 2005. Michael Woods will be an exceptional player, and most likely the next Barton. £5,000,000 was a bit steep but I did all I could to get his services.

Thanks for the post Craig. :cheers

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Saturday 26th January

After a few shocks in the first game of the African Cup of Nations, it was time that they all played their second game of the tournament. In group A in the last game there was a massive shock as pre-tournament favourites Cameroon lost against Angola 2-1, with Ivory Coast coasting to victory against Nigeria. Into Group B and Togo comfortably beat Tunisia as expected and Senegal luckily in the end defeated South Africa. Into Group C now and Mozambique pulled off a little wonder of their own drawing 2-2 against Zambia, whilst Morocco somehow went and beat holders Egypt. Lastly Group D, in which Mali and Ghana both comfortably won their games against Republic of Congo and Gabon, respectively. Would we have anymore shocks?

Group A

Angola 2 - 2 Ivory Coast
Nigeria 1 - 1 Cameroon

Only Martins and Babayaro appeared in this group, both playing for Nigeria in the second match of Group A. Martins got a goal and was the best player for Nigeria whilst Babayaro didn't come on. Most notable players from the Premiership included Drogba, who scored and then got sent off, and Kalou.

Group B

Togo 0 - 3 Senegal
South Africa 2 - 1 Tunisia

Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye both started for Senegal in their fantastic 3-0 win against Togo. Neither scored but defended brilliantly for Senegal. Papa Diop, Henri Camara(scored) and Emmanuel Adebayor are just a few Premiership players that were involved in Group B.

Group C

Eqypt 4 - 0 Mozambique
Zambia 1 - 1 Morocco

No representatives for us in this group. Middlesbrough striker Mido, who scored a volley, and midfielder Skawky both represented Egypt alongside Tottenham player Hossam Ghaly. Mohamed Zidan of Egypt is the first person to score a hat-trick in this competition.

Group D

Mali 1 - 2 Gabon
Ghana 4 - 0 Republic of Congo

Again, no-one from Newcastle played. Sissoko and Traore were the only players from England to be involved for Mali. Whilst the likes of Muntari, Boateng and Essien represented Ghana. Daniel Cousin of Rangers netting twice for Gabon.

A fantastic round of football with loads of the big teams losing. In Group A both games ended in draws as Angola show up Ivory Coast, whilst Nigeria and Cameroon can neither get an extra goal in their game. Moving onto Group B now and Senegal now top the group as they went on and beat Togo comprehensively 3-0. South Africa on the other hand caused an upset against Tunisia and overcame them 2-1. Group C saw the first hat-trick of the tournament as Mohamed Zidan of Egypt nets three times to give Egypt an easy 4-0 win over Mozambique. Morocco are overpowered somehow by Zambia as a late goal secures a draw for the Zambians, who could be the underdogs of the group now, unlikely. Lastly Group D, where Asamoah Gyan netted twice for Ghana in an emphatic 4-0 win against the Republic of Congo. As a matter of fact we are scouting him at the moment. Gabon pulled off an unlikely victory against Big favourites Mali thanks to two early goals from Rangers star Daniel Cousin. Lots of big teams have been losing and could go out in the group stage which could inevitably leave a managerial post for me. You never know.

zammipspman

School Cricketer
You've been at work alot with this team:onpc.Good signings and some good wins there:cool: Well done!

Mr. Kurns

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Good to see you got over WHam, Just but still keep upz the good work dudette!

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Sunday 27th January

4 days since our last game on Wednesday and we haven't signed or sold a soul. Diego Buonanotte has agreed to sign for us though and should arrive in Newcastle on Monday morning. He's only 19 and turning 20 in April yet he still has the potential to be indispensable in our title run. We've been doing our upmost to sign Jimmy Briand but I can't see that happening now as the price is just going too high. May have to buy another striker instead. 4 points clear at the top of the table after 22 games(1 game in hand) and still in every cup, amazing. However we could have a difficult tie, it shouldn't be, but away at Blackpool and anything can happen. No Martins, Faye, Beye or Radoi in the match so it could turn out to be a decent match, hopefully the right Newcastle team will turn up.

FA Cup 4th round tie away at Blackpool, who are struggling in the Coca Championship and find themselves 21st. They are very injury hit and they should cause us no problems what so ever but you never can be so sure in this competition. Bloomfield Road is the venue and to be fair, I think I can rest a few players. Radoi is suspended and we have 3 starters away at the African Cup of Nations, whilst Bale, Stancu and Margaritescu all need to rest. This means that the likes of Mardare, Viduka, Smith and Cacapa can all start and get a good performance under their belts. We have a very hectic schedule from now until the middle of February so we need everyone to be fit and ready to play the games when required. Let's just hope we haven't been too casual going into the game.

Well as expected, we started strong. Two chances in the opening first 5 minutes goes begging as Alan Smith has a one on one opportunity but he steers his shot to hit the inside of the post before it is hacked off the line by a defender. So close to the opener! The second happens to fall to Belozoglu Emre on the edge of the box. Unfortunately for him, his effort his saved miraculously by Chris Smith in between the sticks for Blackpool. Then we get the bit of luck we deserve and take the lead through an attacking break. An Alan Smith shot is parried away where there are 3 defenders and the one attacker, Mark Viduka. It just so happens to fall to Mark who has an easy tap in from only 5 yards. A goal is a goal I guess. Viduka gets another chance to double his tally for the day from a N'Zogbia corner but he heads the chance over. So close! 21 minutes gone and Smith nearly opens his bank account for the day as a shot from 20 yards out and towards the bottom of the pitch hits the upright at the far post, brilliant effort. 25 minutes exactly, and we get the second goal. Mark Viduka the man again with the final touch as from a N'Zogbia cross he meets the ball with his head and puts it straight in the bottom corner away from the keeper. Now that could be deemed unlucky for Blackpool as in the 48th minute, 3 added minutes, we get a third. Guess who got it? Mark Viduka of course, to complete a first half hat-trick. A quick free kick taken by Joey Barton was headed into the net from around 8 yards and it completes the half for us. Alan Wiley has kept on top of everything so far, good refereeing.

Well a good first half so far for us and that has been reflected in the score. 3-0 and we have been completely dominant. 11 shots in the first half alone compared to Blackpools 0 is obviously going to seem superior but we really were that good. The defence and Given have had nothing to do at the back and have all played average so far, not really playing a part. Torje and N'Zogbia have been very good on the wings and have given the forwards enough support so far. Barton has been good in the middle was Emre seems to fade in and out of the game a bit too much in my opinion, he better have a better second half. The forwards have both been excellent, with Mark Viduka obviously standing out with his hat-trick. Smith is bound to score in the second half though.

Way! A stupid thing to do by an enraged captain and Michael Flynn has been shown a straight red when the team need him most. After kicking Joey Barton when the ball wasn't even in play there was only one option for the Ref to make. They will probably do better without him now. Mardare has had a good game today but the reserves have got a game tomorrow and he needs to be ready for that so off he comes for Gareth Bale. Despite having the one man advantage we can't seem to get through and get another goal and that can be seen as our first real chance comes 20 minutes into the second half. An Emre shot on the edge of the box parried out for a corner. !0 men Blackpool are giving us a good fight so far. How unlucky?! The corner is taken by N'Zogbia to the edge of the box where Emre is waiting and he hits it first time and the pile driver hits the defender on the line and knocks him over but still the ball does not go into the net! Time for more substitutions I think. After having a good game Gabriel Torje comes off for... wait for it... Shola Ameobi! Margaritescu also comes on for the tired Emre as we go to a 4-2-4 formation. A Gareth Bale cross meets Ameobi's head and that is only denied by a brilliant save by Smith in goal. Finally! We may have had to wait for 40 minutes in the second half to see a goal but it came! An N'Zogbia through ball is latched onto by Alan Smith who buries his shot past the out coming Chris Smith. About time he scored in this match!

Brilliant performance capped off by the goals we deserved, although we could of snatched a few more once they went down to ten men. In fact we could of got 8 or 9, but we didn't. We had 18 shots and created all the chances we needed to win the match, and we defended well at the other end as they only managed... no wait they DIDN'T manage a shot at all allafternoon. The defence were brilliant today, Vanden Borre mainly leading by example and at such a young age. The wingers were great, especially N'Zogbia as he went and ended up picking up 2 great assists and played a great part in the match. Emre and Barton picked themselves up in the second half and played well as a unit, defending more and making sure they couldn't get a shot on goal. Alan Smith was great up front and fully deserved his goal but today's man of the match was just outstanding. Mark Viduka fully deserved his hat-trick and worked in the build up of Smith's goal too. That certainly boosts his record this season to 2(6) appearances and 4 goals. Overall a great team performance and they adjusted fantastic to the new tactics. Bravo.

Fifth round here we come! Not many big teams are out yet but Chelsea lost at home to Man City. Numerous big teams have drawn though like Liverpool at home to West Ham and Middlesbrough at home to Watford. Now onto transfers and with Buonanotte coming tomorrow, that nearly wraps up our transfer window for the month although I would love to have another striker in the team. Jimy Briand would fit in so well so I hope we get him, but we will have to see won't we? One more game until the end of January and then a hectic start to February. West Ham away in the Premiership, could be a difficult game.

Blackpool 0 - 4 Newcastle
Viduka 10,25,45+3
Smith 85

GK Given - 7
DL Enrique - 8
DR Vanden Borre - 8
DC Mardare - 7(Sub 57)
DC Cacapa - 8
ML N'Zogbia - 8
MR Torje - 7(Sub 78)
MC Barton - 8
MC Emre - 8(Sub 69)
FC Smith - 8
FC Viduka - 9

Harper - Unused Sub
Stancu - Unused Sub
Margaritescu - 6(On 69)
Bale - 7(On 57)
Ameobi - 7(On 78)

Last edited:

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Great win for you Jaz KUTGW.

Last edited:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
As you mentioned, defense and forwards should have been fantastic to fetch that victory :) Very very neatly presented story, Jaz. The layout of presentation is nice. Keep up the fantastic efforts :hpraise

Users who are viewing this thread