The world's most Overrated and Underrated INTL cricketers

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Nation wise world's most overrated batsmen and bowlers :

Australia - David Warner, Shaun Tait
England - Steve Finn, Graeme Swann
India - Ravindra Jadeja (by selectors), Rohit Sharma, Harbhajan Singh the bowler
New Zealand - Brendan McCullum
Pakistan - Kamran Akmal, Umar Akmal, Shahid Afridi the batsman
Sri Lanka - Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Samaraweera
South Africa - JP Duminy(?)
West Indies - Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Bravo

Nation wise world's most underrated batsmen and bowlers :

Australia - Simon Katich, Ricky Ponting nowadays (people seem to have forgotten that he's one of the greats of his generation)
England -
India - Praveen Kumar maybe
New Zealand - Scott Styris, Chris Martin FTW!
Pakistan - Saeed Ajmal
Sri Lanka - Angelo Mathews
South Africa - Jacques Kallis
West Indies - Brendan Nash

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah steven finn is pretty much being hyped by some of the aussies themselves like gilly and ian chappel . As for swann , i just cant believe 2 of our boys overrate him as a cricketer. Seriously need to view his individual records in all forms over the past 12 months. Yeah,he did bowl bad at gabba but so did doherty . This was shane warne's comment on swann :

"He is the world's most improved cricketer , best spinner in the world , has bowled more short balls at the gabba than what he bowled over the past 12 months . For england to win the ashes, they need swann to take 30+ wickets."

And here is a factfile of swann for you guys who overrate him :

he has 21 dismissals in 25 test matches in his very 1st over of a spell. Now thats a partnership breaker and strike bowler for you . Enough said

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
aah this gareth hopkins is seriously overrated by the selectors. Wtf is he when it comes to batting ?? And also what is so good in him to be auckland captain ?? Some sort of conspiracy or what ?? What a waste of slot in the NZL team due to this guy
I would rather play de boorder of Otago

honestly speaking there isn't a better keeper batsman in nz (except for McCullum), and if you look at his domestic record... its pretty good. He was made Auckland's captain because he's one of the most experienced players in terms of domestic cricket.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
And I always thought David Warner was underrated.

:eek: No way mate, he is arguably over rated . people just saw his debut knock at the MCG against RSA (88 in a t20) and started branding him the next maddy hayden . Dont you call this over-rating ??

Underrated, Australia: Colin Miller, Damien Fleming, Paul Reiffel, Tim May

Lol please give your views on the present day world of cricket :p

honestly speaking there isn't a better keeper batsman in nz (except for McCullum), and if you look at his domestic record... its pretty good. He was made Auckland's captain because he's one of the most experienced players in terms of domestic cricket.

Just referred cricinfo and seriously there aint much of a difference in the averages of hopkins and de boorder . Both hold a FC avg of 35 and hopkins has a slight edge over de boorder in ODD . He avgs 24 while de boorder 21 . At the intl level, hopkins avgs less than tuffey in all 3 formats . why not give de boorder a chance ??

Symptom_Control

School Cricketer
:eek: No way mate, he is arguably over rated . people just saw his debut knock at the MCG against RSA (88 in a t20) and started branding him the next maddy hayden . Dont you call this over-rating ??

Lol please give your views on the present day world of cricket :p

Just referred cricinfo and seriously there aint much of a difference in the averages of hopkins and de boorder . Both hold a FC avg of 35 and hopkins has a slight edge over de boorder in ODD . He avgs 24 while de boorder 21 . At the intl level, hopkins avgs less than tuffey in all 3 formats . why not give de boorder a chance ??

lol, liverpool :lol

Wizard

School Cricketer
As for swann , i just cant believe 2 of our boys overrate him as a cricketer. Seriously need to view his individual records in all forms over the past 12 months. Yeah,he did bowl bad at gabba but so did doherty . This was shane warne's comment on swann :

"He is the world's most improved cricketer , best spinner in the world , has bowled more short balls at the gabba than what he bowled over the past 12 months . For england to win the ashes, they need swann to take 30+ wickets."

And here is a factfile of swann for you guys who overrate him :

he has 21 dismissals in 25 test matches in his very 1st over of a spell. Now thats a partnership breaker and strike bowler for you . Enough said
Yeah Swann is not overrated.Probably the best spinner going around.Got this great ability to spin the ball a lot at times even at speeds close to 90 Mph.

P

pcfan123

Yeah Swann is not overrated.Probably the best spinner going around.Got this great ability to spin the ball a lot at times even at speeds close to 90 Mph.

So Finn is overrated, Swan is not and bowls 90 mph.......

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Look, my argument isn't so much against Swann. I completely agree that he's a quality spinner and arguably the best in the world at the moment. But who is his competition at the moment? What OTHER great spinner is eating batters for lunch? Arguably the only real competition that Swann has in the spin department in the world today is Shakib Al Hasan. Swann might well be the best of a mediocre bunch, but he's generally treated as the second coming of god, and that I have a problem with. That's why I said overrated.

I feel we jump the gun with Swann a bit. Mitchell Johnson had a career year two years ago and look where he is now. Mohammad Yousuf had a career year and broke all sorts of scoring records, and look where he is now. Let Swann keep up the intensity, the quality, and the numbers for another three-four years and then let's go branding him as the saviour of English Cricket or whatever else people want to brand him. I don't deny Swann's class, that would be stupid. I just wanna play the waiting game for a bit.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
@ Riz : Look at the NZL side with the removal of Hopkins from the playing 11, what a reply that was (317/7) . Could they have ever dreamt of making such a mammoth total with hopkins there in the side ?? :rolleyes

BlueString

School Cricketer
Seeing this topic, from an Indian perspective, I have to say for sure that S Badrinath is the most underrated batsmen, up there with Dravid. He should be in the Test side for sure. He has temperment and techinique. I could understand if he misses out on ODIs, but he should be there in Tests for sure.

Also very underrated is Simon Katich in my opinion.

Btw, my first post on this forum xD. Found it today and I'm liking the discussions, so I thought I'd join in.

Users who are viewing this thread