Tips For DBC 17 Batting

grkrama

National Board President
So how do you drive a spinner without being miraculously caught by a reflex catch in the slips or nicking to the keeper? I don't see why the game should only allow you to play a leg glance as your only scoring shot. Any tips? Should I only be driving yellow deliveries?

you can play any shot other than late cut to spinners due to the reflex keeper.

The key to judging spinners is, see were the ball is coming and play late, say if the marker is showing just outside offstump but the delivery is much wider you can be sure its goign to turn in so playing a cover drive would get you edged. especially if the footwork is leaning into it.

One of the simpler methods would be cover drive till 4-5th stump and square drive for anything wider to start with, this will reduce most edges against spinners. once you are able to identify deliveries more, you can cover drive anything.

disco123

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Now patch 4 is out is there any advice , my experience so far is pretty much every innings I'm caught driving an orange delivery, only century I have made was by not playing anything on offside , just leg side and stolen singles of defensive blocks. Similar to pre patch 4 , Any help would be greatly appreciated... :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46200

Now patch 4 is out is there any advice , my experience so far is pretty much every innings I'm caught driving an orange delivery, only century I have made was by not playing anything on offside , just leg side and stolen singles of defensive blocks. Similar to precpatch 4 , Any help would be greatly appreciated... :)
Get in the nets and practice timing there is also a thread somewhere.

MARK99ZA

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Am finding if a position the batsman in front of the stumps, its easy to pick most deliveries to leg side, thus scoring heavily. Tried to hard as SA vs ENG. got to 164/0 at lunch! Interested to hear how you make batting more difficult in test matches? Will try hardest and see

Pramod Kumar Cherukat

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Here's a case to back up my post above:

Selected for 7 match 1 day series against Pakistan, batting at #2.

Match 1: Flat pitch, chasing 197 target. Scored 50 in 42 balls, started slogging, 122 not out (century on ODI debut!). Won by 9 wickets.

Matches 2-6: Frustrated. Scores include a 2nd ball duck, and nothing over 15 runs. 2 innings caught by a man on the edge of the circle, the other three edged to keeper or slips. Gave up and turned the game off.

Thinking about this later in the evening: matches 2-6 I never even looked at the pitch report or weather. The first game seemed easy so I assumed I could just muscle everything wherever I want. When I wasn't hitting the first ball or two for four (regardless of what they bowled) I just mashed the attack button or pre-selected an area to hit, then wondered why I was out cheap.

Game 7: Batting first on a green deck, overcast day. Took my time, defended good balls, kept an eye on the field but hit the ball on its merits. Lost 2 partners quickly, so tightened up and rebuilt the innings. When I mis-timed or played and missed, watched the replay and found flaws. Hit 64 in 88 balls before being caught top edging a pull. We defended 220, it was not a batting pitch.

The lesson: I believe for my play style and skill, my theory is right. It's not an arcade game, it's a cricket sim. If you play smart and concentrate, the game rewards you. If you think the game is about hitting big scores every innings, go buy Shane Warne Cricket '97 (or whatever it was called).

I hope you learn from my fail!

Excellent info. This will be really helpful!

obrienblake2025

School Cricketer
Firstly I am playing on the very easiest level that you can. But this is my experience so far.
1. Try to play within the V through mid on and mid-off early in your innings. Even in T20 the defensive shot is your friend as you can score faster when you do get your eye in later.
2. Leave the short pitched bowling alone as you will get caught out behind if you even slightly miss time the shot and often only goes straight to the fielder.
3. The straight drive and cover drives are your friends and you will score heavily due to the stupidity of the AI Captain and it's field placings.
4. Be selfish when you bat. As a opening batsman I try to bat through the innings. My main concern is to not be out at the end of the innings, despite or in-spite of the overall score.
5. Only run on a certain run, no suicide singles. The fielders are of the "Super human" type and you CAN"T run on the throw, even from the boundary. Ever notice how often they hit the stumps from the boundary?
6. Its within the rules and is good tactics to leave balls outside the off stump, especially early in your innings.
7. Its not mandatory to loft the ball to score heavily. Bradman was once asked what he thought his best score was and after consideration replied 209(?) because he said "the only ball I hit off the ground in my whole innings was the ball that dismissed me".

As I say the above is my opinion based on my observations and experiences so far in the game.
i have played this game following this methodology you have posted here and it means bugger all. the game has no logic to how it works at all. i will block straight balls. only hit balls that are wide or swiing away from the stumps. sometimes i will hit one ball for a four or a single fine along the ground. the same ball could then get me out as well. same line same lengh same pace yet i will nick it and get out. the fielders on this game pull off wonder catcch's like it is th easiest thing in the world. the AI hits the ball for fours and boundarys for fun yet me i time it perfect and aim it into gaps yet rather than finding the 20 foot o so gap either side of the fielder. i will find the fielder every single time, even with perfect timing, perfect shot choice and perfect footwork. the game is a n apsolute discrace and is about as realistic to real life as stickcricket was on the pc years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread