Top 10 of the last 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I was wondering who you guys would have as the top 10 cricketers of the last 10 years, from 2001 to present.
Here is mine:
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Muttiah Muralitharan
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Shane Warne
5. Ricky Ponting
6. Glen McGrath
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Brian Lara
9. Inzamam Ul-Haq
10. Kumar Sangakkara

Mohammed Yousuf just misses out

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
couldnt agree with that. sehwag is a much better performer in Tests than ODIs wheer as Inzy was a miles better all round batsman plus its not only the stats. The fact that I would much rather watch Inzy smash fast bowling around on all kinds of tracks compared to Sehwag who can sometimes be a flat track bully.

Robelinda

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
In the last 10 years? Inzi aint done much in the last 10 years. The mid 90's Inzi maybe, but that aint the Inzi of the 2001 onwards. Pretty harsh on Sehwag considering his feats in the same time period he played with Inzi.

cricketlover172

Club Cricketer
couldnt agree with that. sehwag is a much better performer in Tests than ODIs wheer as Inzy was a miles better all round batsman plus its not only the stats. The fact that I would much rather watch Inzy smash fast bowling around on all kinds of tracks compared to Sehwag who can sometimes be a flat track bully.

Then why does INZI average 30s against OZ and SA so much for being better player. :lol

Here is their performance against best spinners.
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
Inzamam average 44

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...=6;template=results;type=batting;view=innings
Sehwag average 75.

And regarding ODI , Inzamam averages 23 in WC. Comparing Inzamam to Sehwag is like comparing mouse to a lion. :lol:lol And Sehwag being ftb. Inzamam averaged 3 in 2003 WC in SA.

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
1) Dale Steyn
2) Glenn McGrath
3) Muttiah Muraliathran
4) Jacques Kallis
5) Shane Warne
6) Sachin Tendulkar
7) Brian Lara
8) Mohammad Asif (loved watching him howl)
9) Shane Bond (again, loved watching bowl)
10) Mike Hussey/Ricky Ponting

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
so if anyone plays well in WCs they are the best? dont be so naive. the whole career counts. second inzy had a great run of form in the middle half of the last decade. plus like i said before, its not only the stats, its also how aesthetically pleasing a player is. and lets face it, the flat track bully sehwag is not aesthetically pleasing.

----------

1) Dale Steyn
2) Glenn McGrath
3) Muttiah Muraliathran
4) Jacques Kallis
5) Shane Warne
6) Sachin Tendulkar
7) Brian Lara
8) Mohammad Asif (loved watching him howl)
9) Shane Bond (again, loved watching bowl)
10) Mike Hussey/Ricky Ponting

i like the list apart from steyn at the top. he just hasnt done enough, especially in ODI cricket. and i wouldnt have bond because he never played enough cricket. and asif, oh how i would love to include him in my list but with what has happened ..... i just cant.

cricketlover172

Club Cricketer
so if anyone plays well in WCs they are the best? dont be so naive. the whole career counts. second inzy had a great run of form in the middle half of the last decade. plus like i said before, its not only the stats, its also how aesthetically pleasing a player is. and lets face it, the flat track bully sehwag is not aesthetically pleasing.

----------

Yes the minnow basher Inzamam who failed against every great bowler of his generation was aesthetically pleasing. :lol

Inzamam in the middle of decade averaged 0.5 vs Mcgrath and Warne. So much for entire career. How can you be a great odi player with rubbish WC stats ?
Entire career is not equal to sharjah.

Robelinda

International Coach
Hilarious stuff. And now the discussion has changed to WHOLE career, i thought this thread was last 10 years? And Inzi has been nothing more than a pimple on Sehwag's backside in the last decade. Inzi's monumental failures in the last DECADE against the best teams doesnt warrant him a spot in the top 30 of the decade, let alone top 10 in place of someone who has demolished the best teams. Inzi could only dream of scoring a test ton in SA.

MDStar

School Cricketer
My [Top 10] in the past decade

*In the order of position
--
Openers- Mathew Hayden & Marcus Trescothick

Why?
Mathew Hayden was a gifted batsman(with a-lot of muscle) and was one of the fiercest openers throughout the 2000s. He was remarkably consistent and entered the record books after becoming the first player to score more than 1000 test runs in a year- five times(2001 to 2005).

Marcus Trescothick was an aggressive and masterful batsman who enjoyed his success with bat for England from early 2000s till his illness in 2006. He was noted for his achievements and was honored with being named one of the five Wisden cricketers of the year 2005.
--
Middle order- Ricky Ponting(c), Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara
--
Lower order- Steve Waugh, Adam Gilchrist(wk)
--
Spinner- Shane Warne
--
Fast bowlers- Glen McGrath, Shaun Pollock, Wasim Akram
_______

@Openers: I reasoned my selection because they might be the only players doubted on my list.

Players who missed out..

#Muttiah Muralitharan(Warne gets over him for several reasons that needn't be mentioned. My eleven would consist of only [1] spinner and so that rules him out of being amongst them, but certainly is one who performed brilliantly this decade)
#Allan Donald(Only played till 2002, since we're covering the whole decade and his lateral years weren't too successful he misses out)

Shoaib87

School Cricketer
Hilarious stuff. And now the discussion has changed to WHOLE career, i thought this thread was last 10 years? And Inzi has been nothing more than a pimple on Sehwag's backside in the last decade. Inzi's monumental failures in the last DECADE against the best teams doesnt warrant him a spot in the top 30 of the decade, let alone top 10 in place of someone who has demolished the best teams. Inzi could only dream of scoring a test ton in SA.
Cool down son.

India have won 39% of the tests in which Tendulkar & 31% in which Sehwag has scored tons.

Pakistan have won 68% of the tests in which Inzamam has scored tons.

Remember Pakistan never have had as good a batting lineup which India & Australia had during Inzamam's career.That is the reason he's rated so highly by both former cricketers & fans.His runs almost always benefitted the team & would always play for the team,not for personal achievments.

So,try to understand & respect other's opinions.Inzamam doesn't even make my alltime top 20 batsmen whereas Tendulkar does but I understand that those praise Inzamam & rate him highly have solid reasons to do so.

MDStar

School Cricketer
Why argue?

It's a matter of ones' own preference. I don't see the point in beating it out against each other.

playkid12

Club Captain
In order of how well they've done. Past 10 years:

1. Jacques Kallis - he's the world's most valuable overall player and has been for quite some time. His bowling, fielding, and batting have all been top notch.

2. Sachin Tendulkar - he's the world's best batsman, and has continued to dazzle even in the later half of his career.

3. Ricky Ponting - Amazing captain, amazing batsman, amazing fielder. Sadly, his form has dipped of late.

4. Muttiah Muralitharan - He's arguably the best spinner in history, and his stats back it up.

5. Shane Warne - He's the reason Muralitharan is "arguably" the best spinner in history.

6. Brian Lara - West Indies lonesome hero, definitely one of the most naturally talented batsmen in the history of the game.

7. Glenn McGrath - He doesn't have a contender. He's been the best pacer for a while. Sorry, Steyn fans, Steyn hasn't done enough yet.

8. Adam Gilchrist - He changed the definition of a wicketkeeper completely.

9. Inzamam Ul Haq - Pakistan's match-winner. They've completely lost their batting since he's left.

10. MS Dhoni - the most controversial choice on this list, but that's why he's #10. He's not on here only because of his amazing unorthodox batting or wicketkeeping ability - those are just additions to his amazing captaincy record. He's won most of the big tournaments he's been a part of, and his leadership alone deserves him a spot on this list.

Honorable mentions:
Hayden, Pollock, Sehwag, Dravid, Jayasuriya, Lee, Steyn, and Sangakkara

Last edited:

cricketlover172

Club Cricketer
Cool down son.

India have won 39% of the tests in which Tendulkar & 31% in which Sehwag has scored tons.

Pakistan have won 68% of the tests in which Inzamam has scored tons.

Remember Pakistan never have had as good a batting lineup which India & Australia had during Inzamam's career.That is the reason he's rated so highly by both former cricketers & fans.His runs almost always benefitted the team & would always play for the team,not for personal achievments.

So,try to understand & respect other's opinions.Inzamam doesn't even make my alltime top 20 batsmen whereas Tendulkar does but I understand that those praise Inzamam & rate him highly have solid reasons to do so.

Wow what a logic you have. India has won 87% of ODI match in which Sehwag has scored ton . So going by your logic Sehwag is a better ODI batsman than Sachin.:lol

And you don't rate Younis and Yousuf do you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread