Trouble with router - Need help

nightprowler10

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
As some of you may already know, I have just subscribed to high speed cable internet. I was asleep when the guy came over to install it on my computer. Before I had this installed, I had DSL and had it hooked up through a router going to my computer. I don't have any other computers hooked up to my router but needed it for the wireless card in my laptop.

Ever since the guy installed the new stuff on my 'puter, I haven't been able to get internet access through my router. My desktop and laptop both detect a connection but I am not able to go online while hooked up through my router. Any advice would be appreciated...

And before people tell me to go call customer support, apparently they charge per call for technical support unless you pay a monthly fee. :mad: So I figured I'd try to get help at other places first.

Thank you all in advance. :)

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
its a wireless router right?

and you can see the internet connected? and yet can't access the net? Is that right. What is the model # or what ever?

I might help you out a bit, but just confirm that for me.

Divdude

School Cricketer
you could pop in the installation cd and re program it to make it work, or/and if this option is available you could put your ip address in the url adress and click enter and it will direct you to your settings for your router and put it too allow all connections (which you can edit later if some one is connecting to your router and you dont want them too).
it worked for my linksys and i am pretty sure it will work for you too

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
yea, you'll have an IP address for the router. Once you log-in, it'll give you all options and you can also see the settings.

Sometimes it just helps to un-plug your modem (if you have one) and the router and plug them back in a min. or two.

Ritwik

co-founder
Do this: Click on start and then 'Run'. In the dialog box, put 'ping' followed by the IP address of your gateway (this would've been probably provided by the company or can be accessed via My Network Places) and then hit enter. If connection is succesful, you are in fact connected to the internet, you just need to change your browser settings. For this, right click on the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop, choose properties, then click the 'connections' tab and then "lan settings". check the box labelled "automatically detect settings". If your Ping attempt fails, you are not connected to the network.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Normally you can configure your router via internet explorer.

By default the IP address of the router will be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (usually one of these for netgear) You'll need the username and password of your router (normally USER and PASS) you should then be able to check your account settings and connection status. If you have changed subscribers you will need to update the settings to that of your new provider.

nightprowler10

Executive member
Thank you all for your advice. I will try these methods when my work week is over and let you guys know the result. Again, thank you. :)

nightprowler10

Executive member
Just an update.

I tried the things you guys suggested, but with no luck. So I ended up registering my product and calling customer support. Ended up having to make a new wireless network, and it worked like magic. Also, the router wasn't reading my IP address somehow. So anyway, its all fixed up now, and if I call them up again I have to pay :(

Thank you all for your help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread