Tweaks for better gameplay

J

jeetu

Tweaks for better gameplay.
This is essentially made for people with mid-end systems but it could help gamers with low or high end Computers.

1. Many gamers have found slight headache after few hours of gameplay and strain on eyes. One of the biggest factor regarding this is ironically the least thought about - "REFRESH RATE". Refresh rate are found under Adapter setting of Adavance /Display property. These must be set to atleast 85, although 100 is the best. All 15" Monitor supports 85 Refresh rate at 800* 600 resolution.
But there are common bugs found in nearly all games. Nearly all games switch to 60 Refresh rate when a game is started. Thus increasing flickering and causing strain on eyes. There are many programs and utilities which tries to fix this problem but all of them are clumsy to use and most don't work. The best solution is through REGEDIT.

Open regedit and find this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\system\\CurentControlSet\\Control\\Class]. Expand the "class key"; you will see a bunch of keys similar to

{1113E534-EAF87542.....}

If you select one of them you'll see some values. There should be a string called "Default" or "Class" or both of them, identifying the kind of device it is, like "Modem", "Keyboards", etc. Find the key that has the string value "Class"="Monitor".

Expand that key and there should be at least one key, typically "0000". There might be more; in that case, you'll have to see which one is currently in use. Just modify them one by one.

Start by expanding the "0000" key; there should be a key "MODES", expand it, now you should see a key with your monitor's max resolution. Now, suppose that you want a 85 Hz vertical refresh rate in resolution 800x600. Add a key in "MODES" called "800,600". In the "800,600" key, add the String value
"Mode1"="85-100,85-100".

Now if you open "Display properties" (right-click on your desktop) click the "Advanced" button and go to the "Monitor" tab, you will be able to select only two refresh rate, namely 85 and 100Hz. Provided, of course, that the "0000" key was the key currently in use and that the "Hide all unsupported modes" checkbox was ticked. Repeat the procedure for all refresh-rate/resolution combinations you wish to use.

Go to "Display properties -> Advanced -> Monitor" and select the refresh rate, here 85 Hz.

Basically what this fix does is setting the lowest refresh rate supported by your monitor to the one you wish to use. Now all games should run on the specified refresh rate regardless of whether they use Direct3D or OpenGL. This fix should work in Windows XP too. anf should be used for 640* 480 resolution.

NOTE- Don't keep refrest rate to 100 Mhz on 15" Monitor.
Final Note- This tweak has a little drawback - It might cause problem with some Televisions for people using Tv out in Graphic Cards.

2. Try to keep screen Resolution in proportion to Monitor Size. Try 640* 480 for 15", 800*600 for 17" and 1024*768 for 19" monitor. Incresing/Decreasing reslution makes maximum impact on performance.

3. Try to close all background application running on your comp , including Firewalls and Antivirus etc. Most can be closed directly by right clicking on Tray icons and use quit/Exit. All other running applications can be checked using Crtl-Alt-Del.

4. For Nvidia Graphic card users try to keep default drivers for best performance. In some cases it becomes neccasary to upgrade to new versions. Ex- "I was forced to upgrade my drivers for Cricket 2002 because of glitches." But it locked out my Tv-Out function as a drawback. Keep DirectX to 9.0b

5. There is no anti-aliasing setting in Cricket 2004 , it was there in cricket 2002. This feature must be enabled through people with powerfull graphic cards. This feature reduces graphic performance quiet a bit. On some computers with Gf4Mx cards there is smooth gameplay at 2X Anti Aliasing setting. On most budget cards it should be turned off.

6. Try to keep filtering to Bilinear and turn off Vedeo Screen, ForceLOD and Shadows and turn on Pitch Details. This settings are good for low-mid end computers.

7. Try to use a modified video files to remove opening sequence (found on this site) and a "no-cd" patch. A No-cd patch is legal provided you own a ligitimate copy of the game. This loads game faster and increases the life of the GameCD.

Presently I am using P-1.5Ghz, 256 sd ram, gf4mx ddr. my setting are 800*600 -32 bit colour, Video Screen- Off , Bilinear filtering, No shadows, No Force Lod, Pich details On with 2X AntiAliasing. I turn off Antialiasing setting if Some backfriound application is running.

R

ricky123

B) good tip .

also be carefull when modifying the reg key :

Users who are viewing this thread