Understanding BCCI's reluctance to DRS

PokerAce

Banned
This is a very interesting thread. I think we can all agree without a doubt, that DRS is 'FAR' from perfection. And some features like Hot Spot and Ball tracking are simply useless under certain conditions - faint edges, long strides, etc. Great gimmicks !

I essentially agree with PokerAce that the mistakes made by DRS are actually worse than mistakes made by Umpires. Or at least they seem to be. This is mainly because, with a Human umpire you can eventually reason it out with the age old saying 'To err is human'. You blame the umpire. The poor guy is allowed to have a moment of brain-fart (We all do). He gets a poor post-match review. Someone is held accountable at the end of the day.

With DRS though it is a matter of putting 'blind faith' into an imperfect system. If it works then its wonderful. But in its moments of failure, the mistake will be glorified and seem much worse than it is. Moreover, who do you hold responsible for it ? Definitely Not the umpires. Not the Boards or ICC. And you cannot blame the technology or their developers, because we did accept something 'imperfect'.

So in the end, there is no accountability.

I agree with most of what you say, apart from the point you make about fixing blame. I don't think that fixing blame should be the reason to do away with DRS, that with Umpires at least we know who to blame. That at least we will know where to point fingers should never be the basis of any decision.

However I do agree with the rest of what you said. The way that some quarters react to DRS being question would make one think, that DRS was some 'holy' or 'religious' thing, and to question it was sacrilege. There is more than enough evidence to prove once and for all that MUCH work on DRS is required, and not only does the technology need to be looked at, but, even if the technology is found to be correct, the manner in which that technology is implemented needs work too.

Like why this obsession with only removing 2 howlers per innings, what about the 3rd howler that happens. That Broad nonsense would not have happened had DRS been implemented properly. This thread is filled with issues against DRS, and above all is the stupidity of the system that the two on field Umpires cannot suo moto consult it before making a decision.

DRS is meant to make decision making easier, but the Umpire who will make the decision cannot, if he wants, first consult the technology and then make his decision.

In a close call like Bat Pad catch, where there may or may not have been an edge, and he is not sure, the umpire if given the choice would obviously first consult replays and use technology, and then arrive at an informed correct decision. That would be the rational thing to do, but the DRS System is the sworn enemy and nemesis of rationality and so it is no surprise that an Umpire cannot do that. Instead, in a really close call, he must first 'guess' whether it was out or not, and then when the aggrieved side challenges the call, then the Umpire gets to see whether his 'guess' was right or wrong.

The technology meant for making decision making easier is for who - the Umpires, who have to make the decisions, or for everyone else? It seems under the present DRS system, the last person who can use the technology is the Umpire. To everyone else, its available at the blink of an eye. The aggrieved side can immediately challenge it, the viewer at home is immediately fed replays from all angles, but the poor Umpire, he will be last one to be able to use technology to help make a decision. The DRS as it stands will let the sun burn out before an Umpire can voluntarily seek the help of technology, no no, instead he must first 'guess' and then when it is challenged, he gets to see if he was right.

DRS in its present form, is one of the stupidest things mankind has ever come up with and needs to go. Not letting Umpires voluntarily consult technology EVER, is the equivalent of inventing a tooth paste to help lessen tooth sensitivity and then let everyone use it, expect those who suffer from tooth sensitivity.

grkrama

National Board President
^A nice sensible take on DRS and its flaws by Crowe.Finally someone is giving out how unbalanced it makes the game instead of crunching statistics saying error rate reduced etc

Parmesh killer

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
The problem isn't the DRS. The problem is how it's used. They're letting papers and formalities decide rather than logic. That first decision with the gap between bat and ball should never be given.

It should simply not be used for LBW prediction. You can use it's technology to find an edge or something.

@playkid12 is very true. Since UDRS has arrived number of right decisions have greatly increased. Almost everything on this earth has its dark side. BCCI is very foolish to protest it. They are just protesting because it is too expensive method. They don't wanna spend money on these stuffs because it will decrease their profit margin. I hate BCCI! I'm very disappointed that BCCI is controlling Indian cricket.

----------

The problem isn't the DRS. The problem is how it's used. They're letting papers and formalities decide rather than logic. That first decision with the gap between bat and ball should never be given.

It should simply not be used for LBW prediction. You can use it's technology to find an edge or something.

@playkid12 is very true. Since UDRS has arrived number of right decisions have greatly increased. Almost everything on this earth has its dark side. BCCI is very foolish to protest it. They are just protesting because it is too expensive method. They don't wanna spend money on these stuffs because it will decrease their profit margin. I hate BCCI! I'm very disappointed that BCCI is controlling Indian cricket.

----------

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
^A nice sensible take on DRS and its flaws by Crowe.Finally someone is giving out how unbalanced it makes the game instead of crunching statistics saying error rate reduced etc

Yea its a interesting article by Crowe, never knew he was a DRS & such a major one. I wanted to respond to poster poker, but seeing Crowe's comment, I'm having a slight second thought. Could the BCCI have been correct despite the bullying all these years?. Maybe, but I have look back a things a bit more closely.

Users who are viewing this thread