ravi varma

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Use Pen Drive A Ram

As u known all that many member a need help for boosting their PC so
i thought that i can make some efforts to help the members of planet cricket

T U T O R I A L

Yes with some modified settings you can use your pen drive as a RAM

1) Connect your pen drive to your PC [pen drive should be at least 1 GB or if you having 4 GB then its better]

2) Allow PC what he is supposed to do,let system to detect pen drive.

3) After your PC finished with its detection work,you have to do some little

4) Right click on the My Computer and select the properties

5) Go to advanced and then performance setting then advanced then

6) Select pen drive and click on custom size " Check the value of space available "

7) Enter the same in the Initial and the Max columns

" You just used the memory of the Pen Drive as a Virtual Memory "

8) Now restart your pc and enjoy your fast and super system

:siren By Ravi verma

For more Tip & Trick Tweak go to :techarena.in

:onpc :onpc
:onpc :onpc

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Like the ReadyBoost feature in Windows Vista, this is only effective if your USB storage device is quite fast or if you actual system is terribly slow. In a lot of cases, especially with newer systems, the best option is get more proper RAM.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
RAM over USB wouldn't be very useful RAM, imo, unless you are trying to copy massive files or something (not sure if DMA would take over then, though).

Now, I'd be interested if you could use an eSATA drive as RAM. That would essentially be equivalent to virtual memory pages, huh?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Yeah, this is just instructions for creating virtual memory as well. Like I said, it varies with the components used. In theory, solid state memory can be very advantageous, which is why we've seen internal SSD drives coming into the consumer market. Hard disks take time to spin up and to seek, much the same as an optical drive, whereas solid state memory can simply make random accesses in quick time.

However, an SSD is a very expensive piece of technology, while the average USB is not. Even then, SSDs are much slower than HDDs at writing, though that doesn't stop them from being useful at caching frequently used files.

I mentioned Readyboost above and in that example, even if you just want to test it out on a fast system, a drive that is too slow to be of use will be rejected outright by ReadyBoost. If you want to know what's a fast USB stick, consider something like the Corsair Voyager GT, which has read speeds around 30 MB/s, but they cost anywhere between $50 and $500.

Virtual memory over eSATA on the other hand, could be very practical. You don't need to search far and wide for a reasonable SATA HDD. It's a good idea to put your virtual memory on your fastest hard drive and with SATA being plenty fast whether it's the inside version or the outside one, a newly purchased external drive could well be the fastest available. You'd need to remember what horrors could happen if you unplug the drive, though that's the same deal as for a flash drive.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
The latest SATA standard doubles transfer speeds to 6 Gb/s as well! Just gotta factor in latency but I'd say that's probably a lot faster than most hard disks a couple years back.

Users who are viewing this thread