Vettori to play for Warwickshire

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
NEW Zealand left-arm spin bowler Daniel Vettori is set to join Warwickshire next season.

The 26-year-old on Friday concluded contract negotiations for the 2006 season with the only obstacle the formality of written approval of the player's release from the New Zealand Cricket Union.

He is due to be available from May 10 until the end of the season.

Vettori was the youngest ever debutant for his country at the age of 18 years and 10 days when he played against England in February 1997.

He has since gone on to become a mainstay of the side with 65 Test matches and 160 one-day internationals under his belt.

Warwickshire director of coaching Mark Greatbatch said: "We are delighted that Daniel will be joining us next season.

"He gives our spin bowling department greater strength and thus our overall bowling unit the variation that is needed to compete and win matches in all forms of the game.

"Another exciting aspect of his signing is that Daniel has offered to help our younger spinners develop their own skills while he is with us."

Vettori said: "It looks to be a pretty strong set up at Warwickshire and I'm really looking forward to playing my part in what will hopefully be another successful season.

"Some of the guys here have played quite a bit of county cricket and a full season is something I've wanted to do for a while.
"I have been flattered by the interest in me over the past couple of months, but the prospect of working with Mark was ultimately the biggest pull."

Agence France-Presse

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17146066-23212,00.html

Vettori will make a good addition to Warwickshire.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's domestic cricket, so I think he will be succesful with both and ball.

irottev

School Cricketer
Definatly going to be a key all-rounder. He opens the batting here for Domestic Cricket in NZ and co-captains his side. He may not open or captain Warwickshire but it does show how valuable he is.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
irottev said:
Definatly going to be a key all-rounder. He opens the batting here for Domestic Cricket in NZ and co-captains his side. He may not open or captain Warwickshire but it does show how valuable he is.

That's something new for me. Didn't know he opens the innings in New Zealand.

Users who are viewing this thread