Weight Training

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
My question is should cricketers do weight training. Weight training has proved that you will be less injury prone and improves your endurance.

South Africa do weight training and they are probably are the best team in the world. They have some built guys in there batting and very athletic fielders.

I?m not saying they should become body builders but incorporating weight training in their program would be beneficial and maybe guys like Flintoff or Oram won?t be soo much injury prone in their careers.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
My question is should cricketers do weight training. Weight training has proved that you will be less injury prone and improves your endurance.

South Africa do weight training and they are probably are the best team in the world. They have some built guys in there batting and very athletic fielders.

I?m not saying they should become body builders but incorporating weight training in their program would be beneficial and maybe guys like Flintoff or Oram won?t be soo much injury prone in their careers.

I'm pretty sure all pro cricketers would do some form of weight training. But yes it helps a lot.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Well I mean something regularly like South Africa do

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Weight training is a part of their fitness programmes. Every team does it.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
I know every team does it, but they don't do as much as they should be doing

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I know every team does it, but they don't do as much as they should be doing

Guy's like Watson seem to think weight training has caused their injuries. I remember reading something a few months back. I tired do a lot of weight work for cricket a few years back, I gained weight but I started to pick up a lot of injuries. I still do weight training, but make sure I keep to a certain weight.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Yeah you will always gain weight but its good weight, muscle and no fat

Well I guess it depends which type of exercises you are doing but Brett Lee has mentioned before its vital for him to do it otherwise he loses a lot of weight

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah you will always gain weight but its good weight, muscle and no fat

Well I guess it depends which type of exercises you are doing but Brett Lee has mentioned before its vital for him to do it otherwise he loses a lot of weight

Even gaining weight from muscle can cause injuries. Your body just can't take the weight sometimes.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Well maybe thats true but on the whole I think it would be beneficial

P

pcfan123

I prefer swimming to weight training. Lee has the body of a swimmer more than a body builder.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
all the other sportsmen does it. cricket is the last one on that list. but it started on cricket too, for last 10 years or so. before players used to be fat. "gentleman" sports". it was all about batting, bowling..

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I find myself cutting back for cricket, I think a little is definitely beneficial but the main work should be on their core areas, at least for quicks. I used to be hurting every time I bowled in the abs area and my lower back before I started getting in really good shape and building strength there. For batsmen I'd agree it's good but too much is bad for bowlers imo. I can't imagine it's majorly beneficial on the injury front?

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I find myself cutting back for cricket, I think a little is definitely beneficial but the main work should be on their core areas, at least for quicks. I used to be hurting every time I bowled in the abs area and my lower back before I started getting in really good shape and building strength there. For batsmen I'd agree it's good but too much is bad for bowlers imo. I can't imagine it's majorly beneficial on the injury front?

Not usually. I mean look at Ishant Sharma, if he was to bulk up and add another 5-10kg to his frame I'm sure he would pick up injuries more often then not.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's not as simple as simply hitting the weights and getting big biceps. Each player's training needs to reflect their ideal body shape and what they're trying to do with it. If we're talking about a skinny chap like Ishant Sharma, then no, you'd ruin him by covering him in Graeme Smith's muscles. However, if you compare Sharma to similar 6'4" pacemen, he is still a bit wiry, but the shape is good. If you were to add to his upper body, maybe fill out his arms a bit, you'd want to be certain that his lower body could handle the extra force in the delivery stride. The front foot is a fast bowler's... er... Achilles heel.

Shane Watson had a different problem, where he had upper and lower body strength, but weakness in the core was putting extra work onto his hamstring. His solution included a lighter weight program and incorporating yoga postures.

Users who are viewing this thread