Your Cricket Weights exercises for batsman

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Because out here I've got a weights set, a eye in, a crazy catch, and lots of space. Eye in is good, but I have nothing to do, and I spend waaay to much time on the computer. There is nothing wrong with doing weights, and it will only make me stronger thus be able to play bigger shots when need be, and throw the ball further, etc.

I'm only asking if I have any pointless exercises and ones that I have missed that are particularly good. Thank you.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
For a batsmen core training helps a lot. Kane Williamson came and talked at our sports awards last year (His sister was a teacher at our school) and he pretty much went over his typical day. He was getting up at 5-6 in the morning and doing yoga/pilates for a good hour. A batsmen needs good flexibility, especially when you get to a level when you're facing 130K+ bowlers.

Of course by alll means do weights, but at your age keep it to a minimum. Both gyms I've gone too over my lifetime don't allow kid's under 16 to sign up, hmmmmmm I wonder why. Maybe they don't like money.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
14 is a good age to start though, I reckon. I started at 14.

But if you are just starting, ease into it. WHATEVER YOU DO, don't use the free weights (Bench Press, Deadlift etc) at your age. That'll be bad man. Especially if you don't have a spotter. Stick to the machines.

But good batsman don't really need to do the whole weight thing really. Do you really think that guys like Virender Sehwag or Arjuna Ranatunga hit the gym alot? But they have good mental strength and flexibility, along with a good grip on the basics of cricket, and look where they are.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
14 is a good age to start though, I reckon. I started at 14.

But if you are just starting, ease into it. WHATEVER YOU DO, don't use the free weights (Bench Press, Deadlift etc) at your age. That'll be bad man. Especially if you don't have a spotter. Stick to the machines.

But good batsman don't really need to do the whole weight thing really. Do you really think that guys like Virender Sehwag or Arjuna Ranatunga hit the gym alot? But they have good mental strength and flexibility, along with a good grip on the basics of cricket, and look where they are.

Machines are ████, I don't have them anyway.

All I've got is free weights, because they are better, plus easier and everything.

Of course, yesterday, "DON'T DO WEIGHTS YOU'LL fearsome tweak YOURSELF UP MAN!!!!" Then today I turn 14 "Yes yo can start now you are 12 hours older you wont wreck your body good work start now man!"

blake

School Cricketer
Jake, you seem alright, but now you are just turning into an idiot.

If you are so deadset on doing weights, why not just limit it to half an hour a day or something. If you are so serious about getting your body stronger, as Howsie said, yoga and pilates is really good for your core and it really can help your cricket. So, why don't you try some of that? Are you embarrassed you will look funny?

P

pcfan123

Ask your doctor or team physio whether you should be lifting at your age. Your school must have some medical professional for the athletes. I would trust their word over someone on the internet.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
No.

Where can kids do yoga or pilates? Anyway, it's not about a half an hour a day. It's about Wednesday upper body, Thursday lower body. It takes as long as it takes, but I can get it finished in 30-60 minutes.

Jakester1288 added 0 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

Ask your doctor or team physio whether you should be lifting at your age. Your school must have some medical professional for the athletes. I would trust their word over someone on the internet.

Over Joe? I don't think so.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Just by the way, if you actually want to be lifting anything substantial, you need to make sure you know what the flip you're doing and at least have a spotter. If you're going to be lifting minor weights you might as well stick to the machines since they give you a good feel and a good basis before you move on to the actual weights.

A spotter is a must. A good spotter is really good. This summer I added almost 60 pounds to my bench press just by having a good spotter. Its more psychological than anything. Right now I have a shitty spotter and I'm not confident benching weights that I'd go for with a trained physical trainer.

Seriously though, you gotta make sure you don't stunt your growth. I started working out pretty late (I hit the gym my last year of college). You probably want to maintain your cardio through high school and do light weights during that time (unless you wanna be a linebacker or something). Unless you are one of the few who is blessed with natural body composition, you're gonna have to work your way up the hard way.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Pfft, strength training. I barely do any :p. And from all I've asked/heard, the best and most natural are push ups and pull ups.

I have a friend who did tons of weight stuff from the age of around 16, but he was aiming to lose weight and turn it into muscle. He worked out insanely hard and kept and incredibly strict diet for two whole years. Showed great results in the end. But took 2 years of bloody-minded determination.

So um...yea. If you're gonna do weights, be dedicated to it and work hard if you want serious results. Otherwise, I'd just recommend pushups and pullups.

deanhanson

School Cricketer
Thanks for giving exercise tips to us. It is vry useful to make me fit. I am also a sports man. Anyway thanks

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
why you guys stopping him?? let the kid do w/e he wants to do. when he fcuks himself up he will suffer, he will regret. why you guys even care? let him be. kid just trying to grow up and be a MAN.

this is natural, just like any other kids. 1st they starts shaving those imaginary beard, pretending to be the a police officer, fireman and all that crap. or trying to get a dance from a lady. may be he is bored of shaving and all that. now he wants to do something new. encouragement people!!!

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
why you guys stopping him?? let the kid do w/e he wants to do. when he fcuks himself up he will suffer, he will regret. why you guys even care? let him be. kid just trying to grow up and be a MAN.

this is natural, just like any other kids. 1st they starts shaving those imaginary beard, pretending to be the a police officer, fireman and all that crap. or trying to get a dance from a lady. may be he is bored of shaving and all that. now he wants to do something new. encouragement people!!!

Bahahahah, WTF?

Who are you? Piss off you insignificant stupid Twenty20 lover.

P

pcfan123

I remember watching a documentary a long time ago featuring this kid. His father forced him to work out and he never grew any taller.

young-bodybuilder.jpg

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Bahahahah, WTF?

Who are you? Piss off you insignificant stupid Twenty20 lover.

dont know why you so pissed off, i was just supporting you. so you dont like comments that are FOR you nor the 1s that are AGAINST you.

nice come back btw...

Users who are viewing this thread