Your Cricket Weights exercises for batsman

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Seeing as now I've stopped bowling, what are the best weights exercises to do for batting to improve strength specific to batting? Like, the power through the shots, running between the wickets, etc.

I had this when I was bowling:

Upper:
Push ups
Bench press
Deadlifts
Shoulder Press
Chest flies
Ball crunches

Lower:
BW squats
Squats
BW lunges
Lunges
Leg lifts
Ball crunches
Sprints

Should I keep the same, or is there useless exercises there for batting, and really good ones missing?

P

pcfan123

Not sure if you should be bench pressing and dead lifting at your age, might stunt your growth.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Nerdster1288, what in the world are you thinking?

Your too young for weights! How many people have told you this? Your going to stunt your growth and its generally not good for you. Wait till your more developed and gone through puberty (well most of the way through if you can't wait).

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Woah, woah, woah. Aren't you like 12? Stick to pushups, situps, and running. Don't hit the gym yet.

Lunges are great too.

Eon

Club Cricketer
yea dont do weights... just push ups, sit ups, chin ups, and running... dont worry about anything else for atleast 2 years... more like 3 though lol

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bruce-Lee.jpg

You don't need to do weights to get into form, just natural exercise.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
None of yous know nothing. I'm 14, there is nothing wrong with doing weights, even at my age, plus none of you have answered the thread.

Idiots.

blake

School Cricketer
Jake, it's highly unlikely that you've finished puberty, so why don't you just lay off them a little bit?

I would be focusing on technique more than muscles at that age. Go with a few exercises if you really want, but not weights. Why don't you instead use that time to do something more productive? Even hitting a cricket ball against a wall can help your technique.

It's great that you are so enthusiastic about cricket, but if you keep that workload up for a year you will get burnt out very very fast.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Jake, it's highly unlikely that you've finished puberty, so why don't you just lay off them a little bit?

He's probably barely started puberty!
None of yous know nothing. I'm 14, there is nothing wrong with doing weights, even at my age, plus none of you have answered the thread.

Idiots.

Why the hell are you so dead set on doing weights?

P

pcfan123

He's probably barely started puberty!

Why the hell are you so dead set on doing weights?

a) If he is 14 then hopefully he is not just starting

b) Jake just wants the big muscles to impress the dudes errr.. i mean ladies.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Seeing as now I've stopped bowling, what are the best weights exercises to do for batting to improve strength specific to batting? Like, the power through the shots, running between the wickets, etc.

I had this when I was bowling:

Upper:
Push ups
Bench press
Deadlifts
Shoulder Press
Chest flies
Ball crunches

Lower:
BW squats
Squats
BW lunges
Lunges
Leg lifts
Ball crunches
Sprints

Should I keep the same, or is there useless exercises there for batting, and really good ones missing?

Yoga and pilates brother.

shubhrayu

International Coach
As Howsie said concentration is the main a batsman needs!Yoga does help and I've experienced it!And yeah you're just 13 no need for all these heavy weight and tiring exercises....First get your natural build

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Myth #2: Strength training will stunt the growth of children.

It still amazes me that parents won’t hesitate to get their young children (6-7 years old) involved in sports such as football, gymnastics, basketball and soccer, yet they feel that participating in a strength-training program is damaging to their children’s bone health and will stunt their growth. Nothing can be further from the truth.

The fact of the matter is that running, jumping and tackling can create loading on a child’s body which is up to ten times greater than most strength training exercises. In other words, the physical demands on a child’s body are far greater on the athletic field compared to the weightroom. Parents who don’t let their children participate in resistance training are actually increasing their children’s risk for injury on the athletic field.

There have even been position stands by such organizations as the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine and the American Academy of Pediatrics suggesting that children can benefit from participation in a properly designed and supervised resistance training program. Position stands recommend that prepubescent children shouldn't lift maximal weights; they should lift weights that can be lifted for at least six repetitions with proper form.

Strength training in this manner can be the most potent exercise stimulus for bone growth and development. In fact, research has shown that young weightlifters have greater bone densities than individuals who don't lift. Thus, the positive benefits of resistance training for bone health, injury prevention and improved athletic performance are far greater than the risks.

Ten Training Myths Exposed!

Doing weights is perfectly healthy and wont stunt my growth, it will only improve me as a cricketer. So, can anyone please stop being dickheads and answer my question? What exercises can make me stronger specific to batting?

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
why are you so dead set on doing weights to help you out, why don't you actually work on stuff that counts. If you don't like the responses your getting, go elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread