West Indies Cricket.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Before i Go on I must say, i am a Big supporter of Sammy, but his recently Captaincy against India for me a is a Letdown. He prove really good When Pak and India tour West Indies, not including Bangladesh.
Sammy as a Player he is Not goo with the Bat, but Average with the Bat, great fielder, drop a few, but all great player do drop catches.

Daren Sammy (Captaincy)
TEST
P:13 /W:2 /D:7 /L:4

Test Performance Since Captaincy
Played 13. 335 Runs @ an average of 15.95.
and toke 32 Wicket at an Average of 32.

ODI
P:24 / W:8 / D:1 /L:15
Played 23 Matches. made 145 run at an average of 9.66
and toke 18 wicket at an ave of 46.33

T20
P:5 / W:2 / D:0 /L:3
dint do much batting but scored 19 run at an avge of 3
and got 6 wicket at an avg of 16.83

Yes as an Individual Performance in all format except in T20 as a bowler, Sammy is avg to Poor.

So we all know Sammy in this Team is unbalancing it, but the Question is
Is Sammy Team one of the worst of all West Indies Team?
Is Sammy Captaincy a downfall in West Indies progress?
Was West Indies a World Beater before Sammy?

So we head back to the year 2000, where West Indies were trying to rebuilds Team, look at this stats of West Indies Overall performance.
Team records | Combined Test, ODI and T20I records | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

West Indies Out standing performance, (NOTE with team above them only, not Bang, Zim,etc)
Matching Sammy's Team best performance in a season.
Against India and Pakistan
ESPN Cricinfo Statsguru - West Indies - Combined Test, ODI and T20I records - Team analysis

Only person came close to Sammy performance was B Lara in 2006-2007
winning 8 Games with Team Rank above them
ESPN Cricinfo Statsguru - West Indies - Combined Test, ODI and T20I records - Team analysis

And the Best performance in Win and Loss Rate was in 2007 where they played 11 game winning 5 and losing 5.. Under Gayle, where he beat England 2-1 and then beating Scotland, Netherlands and Ireland.
But after than it was a Downhill till there Worst performance Ever in 2009, under Gayle,Bravo and Reifer.

So Basically As a Team point of view West Indies Team is heading up, only thing right now stopping them is one Bowler or Batsman short in Sammy.

We have on the other Hand Gayle, who is Bigger and better Player then Sammy, But doesn't he care about West Indies Cricket, only care for his own performance. Unlike Lara Who was actually Sammy's Loyality and Gayle's Talent put together, he had his problem with the West Indies board, the issues was Money. Beside one time, which never happen again, Lara never put it out on the field, he played for his Country and would do anything to see West Indies succeed.

As for Gayle.
Have alot of issues showing he is not Dedicated towards West Indies Cricket, which is making West Indies Cricket pay for his Attitude, where he could of put it into West Indies Cricketing leading it better and maybe with these new talent, have West Indies in a better position, bring him back now would ruin a good progress In the TEST team, but for the OD West Indies still have a long way to get a good ODI team.
Lets look at some of the Article regrading Gayle.

Chris Gayle has said that he doesn't want to captain West Indies for much longer because of the pressure the job entailed, and has hinted he may give up playing Test cricket to concentrate on a career in the Twenty20 format.
Gayle ponders Test future | Cricket News | England v West Indies 2009 | ESPN Cricinfo

Gayle as a Captain Rejected The WI contact, which cost him his Captaincy, Which Also Cost all of this Issue we have today, just because of this Move by Gayle as Captain.
West Indies news: Chris Gayle turns down central contract | West Indies Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

It had one more article, I cant Find, Where after the Sri Lanka series, Gayle said he is taking a break from Test Cricket for the season against Pak and India this year. He got his wish, but made a really big issue for not been selected.

Every cricketer have dispute with the board some time or the other, but they never put them self Bigger than this game we all Love Cricket, But Gayle put himself bigger than the game. Gayle have ruin himself, If this was any other board around the world, Gayle couldn't make it back, but this is the West Indies Cricket Board where Gayle, Sarwan and these rest will get back in no doubt. But the Question is, when, will everyone on in the West Indies realize that the they are not bigger than the game, Everyone is at Fault, WICB, WIPA, Gayle and Co.
Cricket is not about one Individual person, it's about a Team, a Unit. Success don't comes over night it takes a While to come.
West Indies got these young talented players,but they career are Ruin, with all the dispute between the Old Player and the Cricket Board. NOTE the Board have Change many time, the coach also have change, yet The West Indies Cricket remain in one position,
The Player attitude towards the game and the Old legends of the game, need to change. If you don't realize, a lot of the legend are now helping these younger player progress, when the older player were there, they didn't even wanted to hear the legends.

Lets face it the world want to see a Good West Indies Team.
Right now this new West Indies wasn't a push over.
Look at a while back England in India
England had there Best Team.

ODI 1
India 300/7 Beats England 174 all out.

ODI 2
India 238/2 Beats England 237 All out.

ODI 3
India 300/5 Beats England 298/4

ODI 4
India 223/4 Beats England 220 allout

ODI 5
India 271/8 Beats England 176 allout

West Indies
ODI 1
India 213/9 Beats WI 211/9

ODI 2
India 270/5 Beats W.I 269/9

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I think Darren Sammy needs to be removed.Chris Gayle should be brought back.The WICB are making it worse for West Indies Cricket by not letting him play for them again.If hopefully Gayle makes a comeback then my ideal line-up for the ODIs would be
1 Barath/Simmons(I'd prefer Barath)
2 Kirk Edwards/Gayle(If Gayle's issue is solved)
3 Darren Bravo
4 Chanderpaul
5 Samuels
6 Pollard
7 Ramdin/Baugh(I'd prefer Baugh)
8 Andre Russell
9 Rampaul
10 Bishoo/Martin(I'd prefer Bishoo)
11 Kemar Roach/Fidel Edwards
I wouldn't keep Sammy in the line-up as he is an inconsistent player.Not too sure who'd be captain if there is no Sammy in the line-up.If Gayle's dispute with WICB is solved then he should be.Its also about time that Kirk Edwards should be given some chances to prove himself in ODIs.He's played brilliantly and aggressively in the Tests.Carlton Baugh should play instead of Ramdin.In the last 19 ODIs since 2010,Ramdin has just scored 179 runs @ 14.91 while in 12 ODIs in 2011,Baugh has scored 195 runs @32.50 and kept better.They should also take Bishoo as he's a more aggressive bowler than Anthony Martin.
For the Tests,this'd be my line-up
1 Brathwaite/Gayle(if issue solved)
2 Barath
3 Kirk Edwards
4 Darren Bravo
5 Chanderpaul
6 Samuels
7 Dwayne Bravo
8 Baugh
9 Rampaul/Roach
10 Fidel Edwards
11 Bishoo
West Indies should also be more aggresive and put pressure on the opposition and have a positive mind as well.They just surrender so easily to the opposition so they've got to change their mindset and strangle the opposition.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
WI cricket needs Gayle and a good fast bowler who can bowl with the old ball

War

Chairman of Selectors
Let us be uncompromisingly frank here. Under no circumstances should Darren Sammy be leading the West Indies team. He cannot command a place in the test squad on merit.

When you analyze what would constitute the best West Indies bowling attack for most conditions, it would be formulated under the 3 :1 ratio (3 fast bowlers and 1 spinner). The emergence of Davendra Bishoo means for now the West Indies have a solid test spinner (along with Narine), which leaves space for three (3) fast bowlers. Once fit all of Kemar Roach, Fidel Edwards, Ravi Rampaul, Jerome Taylor and Andre Russell unequivocally would be ahead of Sammy in the pecking order, since it?s as clear as crystal that the aforementioned five, are better pure-pace or seam bowlers than Sammy.

I would even argue that the likes of Nellon Pascal and Shanon Gabriel should be considered for a test match bowling spot before Sammy.

In the limited-overs and Twenty20 set-ups, Sammy also shouldn?t?t be a fixture, but rather be fighting hard to make the team, since he is nothing more than a ?bits and pieces? all-rounder.

People need to accept these hard-core facts and stop trying to be politically correct by regurgitating the lame rationales put out by the WICB which in a demonstration of folly continues to act as if the selection of Sammy does not affect the balance of the West Indies team across all-formats.

Sammy is an honest player who has been unfairly thrown into the helm of captaincy of the Windies team due to the ongoing fiasco with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), West Indies Players Association and Chris Gayle.

Since taking over the captaincy in November 2010, the St. Lucian's record shows that in the 13 tests as captain he has taken 32 wickets at an average of 32.00 with a singular five-wicket haul and has scored 335 runs at an average of 15.95. Although he is supposedly an all-rounder his bowling is what has stood out and Sammy has not embarrassed himself. But if a bowler of Sammy?s limited ability can hold his own so well, the more potent options should be playing and pretty much every knowledgeable West Indian fan acknowledges this.

If Sammy himself is au fait with recent test cricket history, he may have heard the story of former England Captain Mike Dennnes, who during the famous 1974/75 Ashes series, dropped himself for a test after relentless media pressure over his tenure in charge, as his team struggled to cope with legendary Australian fast-Bowlers Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thompson at their peaks

In the benefit of West Indies Cricket; Sammy should take it one step further and resign from the captaincy from altogether, he is really affecting the balance and performance of the team - the team will certainly be better off for it.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
@ Varun978 You mention K Edward in The ODI team, i dont think he should play ODI, last time he played odi he did poor. Also i would never pick Dywane Bravo in my Side ever again reason he dont carea ???? about West Indies, he got an offer to Play for the West Indies A as Captain of that side, Got injured, after the Series end, said he is Fit to play for Big Bash.
Here is a Chance Bravo got to get back into West Indies, Hopeful he would of Take over Sammy Captaincy, unfortunately. I agree everyone do get hurt nad things happen, but Bravo this incident and also rejecting a contact which would of also made him Captain of the West Indies main team, these type of attitude toward West Indies is bad.
HERE we are a Moment where, we had 2 Player who was a Captain and Vice Captain Refuse to sign the Contact, because they want to Play IPL, and the IPL was taking place when Pakistan tour the country, they were the one who started this Sammy saga. and all the Blame is put on Sammy.

@war i would love sammy to do that. I really really wish he would of Step down and stop taking this responsibility, because he already use up everything he had to offer.

Really wish he could step down now. The West Indies tried something it Work, Not for the captain Sammy, but we found Alot of young talented players, This is something Mainly I am happy to see. If Chris and Co wouldn't be drop, We would of never found these talent, plus extra note, if these player would of played with Gayle and the rest if doubt they would performance, since they would have in there back of there mind, that they will be drop if they dont perform, which they wouldn't perform good. Plus like all other player who came in let the Old member make all the runs. which they got kick out later on from the team.
I use to Like Sammy attitude towards the game and his courage, but here we have a YOUNG west Indies Team, Who the future looks bright for the Team without Gayle, Sarwan, Senior Bravo, J Taylor. a Team who could be beat anyone, but Silly mistake by the Captain in field Placement, and Bowler Changes cost the game. West Indies don't need Gayle and co, But the Board need to realize that how much mistake Sammy is making.

We just need a Captain who can carry forward this Team.
Sammy have Done a good Job according to His Talent, which is Very limited. This is the reason i said he did a good job. If you look at it at the Cricket point of view, he only perform 2 great performance where the team won, taking 5 wicket against Pakistan which won the game and then making a great partnership between him and Russel against India, Only and Only if he could of been More consistent With the Ball or the Bat No one will have a problem with him. He started something good, just need Some one to carry this team forward. I always like Sarwan as my Captain, Only if he was 100 % fit. he is dedicated to West Indies like Sammy, Even Chanderpaul is Dedicated but isn't Captaincy material, next in line for me After Sarwan would be Ramdin. I would never Go to senior bravo same thing like Gayle, we cant relay on them to Carry this young West Indies team forward, with there Attitude torward West Indies Cricket and T20 competation World wide.

I am i big fan of Gayle, but his attitude toward the cricket is poor, he think he is bigger than this game, attitude is very bad for the younger players.
So much move he did as a captain, show no role model for younger players.

He is a greats Player No doubt, but if he comes back he shouldn't be captain. How can we relay on him when he wants to play Big Bash, IPL, before Playing for his Nation, not only that treating Test Match like it's nothing important.
I don't only blame him, but the whole wicb, wipa, because they should of think about WI before, they should of implants rules. Also the selector panel need changing.
Because how can u give a player permission to play ipl, when the country state is poor.
Not only this, before the Clash between Gayle and the board you let your Captain come into a Test Match after playing IPL, 48 hours before the Test Match begin, and didnt say nothing against it. It's both Gayle and WICB fault.
Our Cricket is at the Edge, yet less interesting is Shown to it, from Both said.

Right west indies got a good test team, which only Sammy is poor in it.
I think Ramdin should captain it, hopefully his batting can improve. Just my view on that. He did improve recently in Domestic Competition.
For these Youngerster If we want to Build on the Future of West Indies, its these youngster they have already Show a GREAT performance.
i would give them a longer run, since they didn't do bad n don't want to ruin, there hope. They r capable of improving.

For odi wi dont have a good team, don't.
Gayle n co, still didnt give us a great run, nor right now sammy.
The selector need to pick a proper team not a team where player can hit sixes n get out.
they need to start working together the player, the board n everyone and forget de past.
its been to long, we west indian have waiting for a turn around we got young n old talent we need to use it . N dont drop everyone think before doing it, give the young one longer run n dont drop them because of few bad performance

So Basically all i have to Say, West Indies Future looks bright, while people feel this Team is Going down it's not it's going up, we just need the right Captain to led from the Front, because these youngster are showing Great signs.
Imaging a few years ago, West Indies Tail end couldn't even past 10 Runs, now these one are showing some fight in them.
People be angry with Gayle not in the Side or Senior Bravo, but with them we hardly won a Series, even been kick out of the world cup within the first round. Yet we dont want to make a change, because they know West Indies Board will always Fall dont matter how long it take that there Position in the Team is fix and they will get back in it dont matter what this type of Attitude they have, so what they do is Perform one match great and then play crapp later, just secure there spot in the side, they are great talent but they don't use it to Help West Indies. Imaging This Team Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Samuels, K Pollard, Senior Bravo, Ramin, Benn,, J Taylor, F Edwards. Yet we cant Dominate World Cricket. This Team have played together already, yet all we got was whitewashes, and just lose series after series, Since they got Drop, It open a new page of New talent in the making, which was the best sign for West Indies, Imaging a None of the above, except Chanderpaul and we draw a series against Pakistan, and winning 2 out of the 5 against Pakistan, beating Pakistan in the T20, Drawing two games against India, and winning 2 out of the 5 ODI, forget about Bangladesh. Beating India in India in 1 ODI which hardly any other Team could of do, even the Mighty England. Drawing 1 Test Match against a Powerful India Team.
The prediction was a 5-0 White wash again India in India n in the West Indies, along 3-0 in the test in WI and in India.

But we could of Had India 3-1 right now in the ODI if it wasn't for Sammy silly mistakes, and maybe win a Test Match all in India.
With this Same Team, even if Ramdin would of Captain the side and we had one more Bowler in the side. without Gayle, Sarwan, etc.

My Main point with all this, is people keep asking back for the Old player, i agree no doubt, but cant people really see how this Team progress, even with the Poor captaincy of Sammy, they did pretty good job without the big player. With T20 been Gayle, Bravo may focus, this can shorten there career because of Fitness and so on, so how can we depend on them? They want to play Big or IPL no doubt and been Free Agent prove it.

For the WICB. i am against them Also, yes for me they did one good thing is showing us West Indies do have talented youngster.
But they did alot of Wrong things to.
1. Why would we surrender our wesdin Trophy as we won it.
2. They were too soft hearted towards the player and when the player get out of hand, due to there own doing ,they just start been a ..... .
3. They destroy young talent career, by dropping them if they don't perform the first two match. But player who perform great first and then just lost there way, they still keep them
4. Most important one for me, How can you expect your International Player, to Have to play the Domestic Cricket, they need rest after the Fill up Fixture they have. The Board, should look for More talented Player, to try to improve the Current international Team.

The Selector of the West Indies, should Watch the player perform on Domestic level and don't pick them according to stats, if not we will get more Ryan Hinds, etc in the Team who can Fail miserable. I mention Ryan Hinds because he have one of the best stats in Domestic Level, but in international Level he is crap.

I am going to Go through The Whole West Indies Team which tour India From the Test.

D Sammy
1st Test Match: 5 & 42 | 3-35 & 2-56
2nd Test Match: 18 & 32 | 2- 132
3rd Test Match 3 & 10 | 2-90 & DNB
1st ODI 0 | 1 /40
2nd ODI 2 | 0/30
3rd ODI 41*/ 0-7
4th ODI 2/ 0-30

Like we all Know Sammy isn't Consistent at all. Making good here and there. Bowling impress one time and disappoint other time. he is just up and down.

KC Brathwaite
1st Test Match: 63 & 2 | 0/7
2nd Test Match: 17 & 9 | 1/43 &
3rd Test Match : 68 & 35 |

People who don't know much about him, don't really know what he is capable of doing. at a young age, He score Centuries after centuries. He didn't made a Big impression on his Debut, Failing two time, but in India he prove different, yet to score a century, made 2 half Century already. his Only two biggest problem is 1, Take a long time to settle down and if the bowler gets the better of him in the first 30mins then he wouldn't be successful. he still need to build a lot of confidence playing the highest Level. He is Capable of playing Test Match and he can get big score, he just need to Work hard, and try different types of shot, to at least get early singles to keep the pressure off him. I hope he gets more chance.

K Powell
1st Test Match: 14 & 0
2nd Test Match: DNP
3rd Test Match : 81 & 11
4th ODI 7

Batting line up problem, for him, he is differently not an Opener. He did perform well in the 3rd Test when he came in the Middle Order, making a great 81, he is too Aggressive, needs to work on his Shot selection.

K Edwards

1st Test Match: 15 & 33
2nd Test Match: 16 & 60
3rd Test Match 86 & 17.

He had a Great start to his Career in the Caribbean hitting 100 on Debut.
HE got the Talent, nothing really wrong with him, Just some time plays at the wrong delivery, he show get another Chance.

D Bravo
1st Test Match: 12 & 12
2nd Test Match: 30 & 136
3rd Test Match: 166 & 48
1st ODI : 60
2nd ODI : 13
3rd ODI : 26*

Was going through a Big Patch before he came to India, we wasn't scoring much runs, he begin his career scoring 50 and getting out, but the 2nd Test Change it for him as he scored two back to back 100, did well for the rest of the series until he was injured. He is differently here to Stay, just need to work on hsi fitness, Which i repeat fro mthe above, WICB need to give these boy a break Dont forced them to Play Domestic Cricket.

S Chandepaul
1st Test Match: 118 & 47
2nd Test Match: 4 & 47
3rd Test Match: DNP. Was injured.

One Word CLASS.

M Samuel
1st Test Match: 15 & 0 | 1/13 & 1-57
2nd Test Match: 25 & 84 | 0-104 & -
3rd Test Match 61 & 0 | 3-74 & 2-93
1st ODI 10 |0-37
2nd ODI 4 | 1-40
3rd ODI 58 | 1-50
4th ODI 33 | 0-59

HAd been up and down, he need to be more consistent in his performance.

C Baugh
1st Test Match: 27 & 7
2nd Test Match: 13 & 3
3rd Test Match: 4 & 1

Baugh have lost touch yet again, His Keeping is ok. I perfer to see Ramdin as my Keeper, he is one of the greatest Keeper in the West Indies, and his batting have been improve.

R Rampal
1st Test Match: 12 & 18 | 2-44 & 0-34
2nd Test Match: DNP wasnt feeling well
3rd Test Match: 10 & 0 | 1- 116 & 3-56
1st ODI DNP
2nd ODI 86* | 2-62
3rd ODI 4-57
4th ODI 10|0-66
Working his way to be a Bowling all rounder.Since his return to the West Indies he have impress. He have to play all the Games for West Indies.

D Bishoo
1st Test Match: 0*/ 9* | 2-55 & 1-56
2nd Test Match: 8* & 0| 1-154 &
3rd Test Match 12 & 0 | 1-106 & 2-65

One of West Indies recently leading wicket taker,Bishoo didn't had a Great India Season but still toke some wickets.

A Barath
2nd Test Match: 1 & 62
3rd Test Match : 62 & 3
1st ODI : 17
2nd ODI : 0

Barath have a lot of injury around him, i hope he keep up his fitness. he just came back into the International Match, he got alot of talent, hope he gets to play. and be Fit.

K Roach
2nd Test Match: 2 &| 2-106
1st ODI 12* | 3-46
2nd ODI 24* | 2-40
3rd ODI 1-54
4th ODI 7 | 1-88

Have been Poor with the ball recently but bounce back in the ODI, he still need alot of improvement in his Line and length.

L Simmon
1st ODI 19
2nd ODI 78 | 0-12
3rd ODI 1 | 0-10
4th ODI 36

HE came back into West Indies with a Bang. didnt play in the Test, where i though he should be given a chance, dont mine his stats. he perform ok in the ODI, but really to start making more runs.

D Hyatt
1st ODI : 31
2nd ODI : 0
3rd ODI : 20
4th ODI : 11

Why Hyatt?? West Indies are looking for Young Talented Player, why Hyatt??

K Pollard
1st ODI : 13 | 1-23
2nd ODI : 35 | 0-22
3rd ODI : 29 | 0-4
4th ODI : 3 | 1-65

For me Pollard is one of the Most Over rated Player in West Indies Cricket, my view. All those Run he is making in the IPL, he just isnt making any Runs for the West Indies, and we really need some one like him in the middle order to pump it up. This tour in India was a Perfect place for Pollard to shine, unfortunately he didn't. Even if i call him Over rated I would Love to him play a Test match, to see what he can do in the 5 day game.

D Ramdin
1st ODI : 14
2nd ODI : 2
3rd ODI : 38
4th ODI : 96

For me Ramdin should be the Captain, dont mind his Himulated defeat as Captain against Zimbabwe, he did his Captaincy job restricting them to 105, but the batsmen bat poorly. but he Beat England in a T20 and Winning against Bangladesh. with just 1 T20 Lost to Sri Lanka. His had been working on his Batting and Hopefully we will remain in this side for a long time, and Hoping he become Captain.

A Russel
1st ODI 22 | 2-29
2nd ODI 11 | 0-60
3rd ODI 40 | 0-25
4th ODI 29 | 1-63

Another Bowling Allrounder after Rampal. But his batting seem to be doing more talking than his bowling, he needs to improve more on his bowling, would still give him another chance in this team.

A MArtin
1st ODI 3 | 1-35

I really havent seen much of him yet.

S Narine
3rd ODI 2-34
4th ODI 27 | 0-46

another good find for West Indies, still to early to say anything about him

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
West Indies have a lots of good youngsters. They just have not yet got enough exposure and experience to earn a spot in the team.

Users who are viewing this thread