Darren Sammy named West Indies captain

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
That's quite shocking. In my opinion Chanderpaul should have been given a chance. Chanderpaul is much experienced then Sammy. Still seeing Sammy's performance in the recent tours, he has been impressive. I am not sure how he will do as a captain though.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Chanderpaul should have captained the side imo. But Sammy, let's see how it will work :)

Also, the test series will be interesting enough :)

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Yea I reckon Chanderpaul to be captain as well, but I think it may be that he doesnt want it? Sammy is an intriguing choice, and he is one who is definetly loyal to the country IMO. He was one of the players who still played that series against the Windies right?

Windies just dont seem to have enough fire power to beat the Lankans. I would still prefer an out-of-sorts Sarwan in the team, because he does have the necessary experience.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Do you really think this is a good move?:spy
I don't think so!:(

Yea its a great move and one they should have done way earlier. Ramdin wasn't a better keeper, Baugh has done well for Jamaica over the years with the gloves and they don't even compare with the bat. Baugh has a much more superior batting record in domestic cricket.

Why the sudden change?

Well Gayle didnt sign that contract and he had an awful time as captain in the past year. He wasn't active enough IMO, he would just keep the same field and he wasn't that innovative.

tbh Chanderpaul should've been captain.
Chanderpaul doesn't want to be captain. He was the captain for a couple of years or so and he didn't have the respect of the players and it affected his batting allot. He stepped down on his own and he doesn't really want the job back.
I don't think that option even crossed their mind.

A bit on the subject, Sammy just led the Windward Islands to a 8 wicket win against Trinidad & Tobago in the domestic one day competition.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
I really think Benn should be it. I meant it as a joke 1st, but now that I think about it, he could be good. I mean he plays in all 3 format. He definitely shows more emotions on the field than any other WI players. Sometimes it's unnecessary, but at least he shows he wants to win. Gayle just went robot in last couple of years. Whole WI team used to be pretty animated. idk what happened to them.

But I can also see why it's Sammy. All the minnow teams are trying this - young ALR players. 1st Shakib, then Zims followed it up with Chigumbura, now Sammy. I feel WI would prefer Bravo as a captain, if they are trying that ALR trick. But Bravo screwed them over.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
But I can also see why it's Sammy. All the minnow teams are trying this - young ALR players. 1st Shakib, then Zims followed it up with Chigumbura, now Sammy. I feel WI would prefer Bravo as a captain, if they are trying that ALR trick. But Bravo screwed them over.

I highly doubt they picked Sammy as captain because he's an all rounder more likely because they see him as someone who commands the respect of the side or is liked.

All rounders tend to be shite captains. *cough*Flintoff*cough*

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
All all rounders? May be not the real all rounders.

Mark Waugh

Ranatunga, Kapil Dev, Imran Khan. Players that changed their team and took em to the top.

Shakib will be in that list some day :D

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
If he even contract the sign, won't he captain?

What does that even mean?

Ollie_H added 9 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

He was the captain for a couple of years or so and he didn't have the respect of the players and it affected his batting allot. He stepped down on his own and he doesn't really want the job back.

Time to do an Owzat on you:

Tests
Chanderpaul As Captain: 14 Matches (25 Innings), 1038 runs @ 47.18, 3 100's & 3 50's
Chanderpaul not as Captain: 112 matches (190 innings), 7931 runs @ 49.56, 19 100's & 51 50's.

One Day Internationals
Chanderpaul as Captain: 16 Matches (16 innings), 446 runs @ 29.73, 0 100's & 2 50's
Chanderpaul not as Captain: 245 Matches (229 innings), 8202 runs @ 42.71, 11 100's & 57 50's.

Obviously from a purely statistical point of view you can only see the point to a certain extent, also need to take in such things as who they played during his stints, were, the results and the surrounding selections.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Haha. Devon Smith quickly turning into the next Stuart Williams. Keeps going back to domestic cricket & smoking runs after continoulsy being picked & looking woefully short of international quality.

The whole Gayle being axed basically is because he didn't accept that board contract. That was a terirble message he was sending as WI captain.

I expect within the next couple months after Sammy who i expect will fall short of test quality. Will be axed & either Gayle will be reinstated as skipper or DW Bravo will become skipper. Since presuming the likes of Sarwan, Taylor, Edwards come back fit during the WI home season, along with Marlon Samuels regaining his batting form before he was banned. No way can Sammy fit into to the best Windies test XI.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
^Yeah Exactly. I was going to cough the same thing out :D

I don't think Sammy fits into the scheme of things for WI. He might be all right for T20 and ODIs. His batting and bowling fall way short of Test Quality. Pakistan played Abdul Razzaq and Azhar Mahmood at test level. They both showed potential but test cricket exposed their weaknesses over the long run. And I can vouch that both of these players bowled a lot quicker than Sammy and also had test hundreds to their credit.

Last edited:

angryangy

ICC Chairman
What does that even mean?

Ollie_H added 9 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Tests
Chanderpaul As Captain: 14 Matches (25 Innings), 1038 runs @ 47.18, 3 100's & 3 50's
Chanderpaul not as Captain: 112 matches (190 innings), 7931 runs @ 49.56, 19 100's & 51 50's.

One Day Internationals
Chanderpaul as Captain: 16 Matches (16 innings), 446 runs @ 29.73, 0 100's & 2 50's
Chanderpaul not as Captain: 245 Matches (229 innings), 8202 runs @ 42.71, 11 100's & 57 50's.

Obviously from a purely statistical point of view you can only see the point to a certain extent, also need to take in such things as who they played during his stints, were, the results and the surrounding selections.
He started in good form against South Africa, but did slump quite badly in the 05/06 season. You could say it was the opposition, but he was equally as formless against NZ as against Australia. He couldn't break 40 in six Tests and couldn't get a hundred in any first class game that season. With the captaincy off his back, you could say he found some decent scores in the subcontinent, but the hundreds still evaded him until England in 2007.

It's always hard to say whether captaincy has direct effects. Did it distract Chanderpaul and leave him with issues that took a long time to correct? Or was it just coincidence? Suffice to say, if it was the captaincy, it was a delayed effect.

You also need to be mindful when weighing a player like Chanderpaul on career record, because it has clear ups and downs. For the first 51 Tests of his career, he averaged 38.6. Some time after kicking a chronic foot injury, he went from two centuries in eight years, to making nine in the next two. His form since 2007 has been even better. It all means that blip in the middle is a long way down from either side.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors

Tests

One Day Internationals

Well all I know is that he struggled as captain, not just batting but with his captaincy and he isn't a natural leader. He took over when the contract dispute started and took a weak team (something like the recent WI players strike) and they obviously got owned. Then when the contract dispute ended and the regular players came back he didn't get any respect from them because he didn't stay on their side but decided to keep playing regardless of the contract issues.

I expect within the next couple months after Sammy who i expect will fall short of test quality. Will be axed & either Gayle will be reinstated as skipper or DW Bravo will become skipper. Since presuming the likes of Sarwan, Taylor, Edwards come back fit during the WI home season, along with Marlon Samuels regaining his batting form before he was banned. No way can Sammy fit into to the best Windies test XI.

Samuels is done dude, give up on that already. He just played one match for Jamaica and scored 23 of 48 balls and then got dropped. There is no way there is a spot for him in the test team or the ODI team.

Users who are viewing this thread