Darren Sammy named West Indies captain

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well this has come as a bit of a shock since Sammy wasn't even a regular in the test team. He was a permanent fixture in the one day teams but couldn't claim a spot in the test team. Even more surprising is the appointment of Brendan Nash as vice captain.

West Indies tour of Sri Lanka: Darren Sammy named West Indies captain | Cricket News | Sri Lanka v West Indies | Cricinfo.com

In a decision marking the beginning of a new phase in West Indies cricket, the West Indies Cricket Board has appointed allrounder Darren Sammy as captain. His first assignment will be in Sri Lanka in the three-Test series starting November.
West Indies squad: Darren Sammy (capt), Brendan Nash (vice-captain), Chris Gayle, Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh (wk), Sulieman Benn, Darren Bravo, Dwayne Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Nelon Pascal, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Shane Shillingford, Devon Smith, Devon Thomas (wk)

I am actually happy with the appointment of Sammy. He seems to be a lead from the front kind of guy and has been a consistent performer for the WI over the past year or so. He has been captaining the Windward Islands which does give him some sort of idea about leading a team.

Going into the squad it is nice to see Ramdin dropped and Baugh named to the squad. A bit of a surprise with Andre Russel being named to the team but he has done well for the A team. With no Sarwan in the team the middle order does look weaker and they brought back Devon Smith:doh.

Gayle
Barath
Darren Bravo
Shiv Chanderpaul
Nash
Dwayne Bravo
Baugh+
Sammy*
Benn
Shillingford/Pascal
Roach

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
:/

I can't see them standing a chance in the tests. I'm going to be pretty blown over if they avoid innings defeats.

2 pretty one sided test series coming up imo. will be happy to be proved wrong though

Last edited:
P

pcfan123

:laugh yea what a joke

Slight difference between players not signing contracts and players accepting money to fix a game

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
:/

I can't see them standing a chance in the tests. I'm going to be pretty blown over if they avoid innings defeats.

2 pretty one sided test series coming up imo. will be happy to be proved wrong though

Yea I can see the West Indies having huge problems with the Sri Lankan spinners, especially Mendis since they haven't seen him that much and they don't play spin that well anyway.

It seems that the PCB has some fierce competition here.
Not even close. How is this even comparable to the cluster**** that is the PCB.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Interesting call to select Sammy. At least he won't be swayed by IPL bucks like Gayle huh? :p Nah, but I'll be intrigued to see how he does. Good to see a bowler as captain :)

khalek

Panel of Selectors
No Sarwan is gonna cost them, he could have held the batting together on those spinning conditions.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I see they are going to play Test series in Sri Lanka. They will get huge problems there.

And I don't understand also why Sarwan isn't playing.

West Indies toured Sri Lanka three times. The first in 1993/94 was drawn. But since that West Indies lost all the 5 Test matches (3 Tests in 2001/02 and 2 Tests in 2005).

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Benn should be the captain...

Why the sudden change?

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Personally I feel they should have given the captaincy to somebody with more experience. Sammy only played 8 Test matches and wasn't even in the previous tour against South Africa.

Dwayne Bravo is a person who can be tried out, but then again he doesn't have a central contract.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
interesting call there, Sammy has just played 8 tests. I think it won't do any good to WIC, Chanders should have got it and without Sarwan they would find it difficult to cope with SL.

still best of luck Windies.

Users who are viewing this thread