What has been the Greatest Century(s) in One Day World Cup Cricket Final?

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Their has been some classic and memorable centuries scored in One Day World Cup Cricket Finals.

Out of 9 editions of World Cup held so far centuries have only been scored in the1975,1979,1996, 2003, 2007 editions.

Here is a list of Cricketers who have scored a century in a World Cup Cricket Finals:

1975 : Clive Lloyd (West Indies)

1979 : Viv Richards (West Indies)

1996 : Ara Vinda De Silva (Sri Lanka)

2003 : Ricky Ponting (Australia)

2007: Adam Gilchrist (Australia)

All these centuries scored were of the highest quality and class.

I had a difficult time choosing them in order of merit and no wonder ended up with tied choices .

I only saw the 2003 and 2007 editions live(I am not counting 1992 which I also saw live . But their were no centuries scored in this edition) and the rest I saw were the highlights several times from Videos that is commercially available and which I have purchased from a reputed Online Video Store

My choices :

First choice : Clive Lloyd and Adam Gilchrist (Tied). They are cut above the rest.

Second choice : Ara Vinda De silva , Viv Richards, Ricky Ponting (Tied)

What are Reader’s choices?

I look forward to spontaneous participation from readers.

Good Luck and Cheers!

Last edited:

jordox

International Cricketer
Ponting's was the best out of the ones I've seen. I rate it much higher than Gilchrist's.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I will say,

An absolute tactical match winning innings. If he had got dismissed, definitely Aussies would have grabbed that opportunity!

Though Ponting's and Gilli's were like a nice treat to our eyes, strategical innings from Aravinda gains my preference. :) I have never seen the first two though and hence I cannot comment on it!

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
for me
it is the best Century i guess.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I still have nightmares of Ponting's innings. :noway

He looked HORRIBLE in the start of his innings, Bhaj almost had him a few times. After a miscued pullshot off Harbhajan he never looked back and just pwnt us all over.

Gilly's was great, especially given that it was a reduced game, but I don't think it had the impact that Ponting's innings did. Gilly gave chances throughout the knock, but Ponting was flawless after his initial blurps. I've got to go with Ponting.

Therbs

PCPL Season 2: Best Bowler (Division 2)
Viv FTW, then Punter, then de Silva (shudder, cringe, moan), then Gillie, then Lloyd.

Viv's and Punters were both destructive and ruthless. De Silva's was a match winner based on taking whatever crumbs were thrown at him. Gilchrist's was typical Gillie but against a very faded opponent. Not his fault mind you but these things need to be put into perspective.

Good thread.

Users who are viewing this thread