What to do with a boy like Andrew?

tsyrmas

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hmmm. Andrew Strauss is clearly a talented cricketer, he adds experience up the top, and two test ago was captain of the English side. He started off showing some decent signs in Australia, but his lack of converting starts has obviously played with his head a bit, and he is now showing no form whatsoever. he has been gettin out to silly shots of late consistently.

THe statistics back things up too. In his last 16 innings (including his 6 in this test) Strauss has scored a modest 427, at an average of 26. THis is not good enought for a vice captain, and opening batsmen, who clearly has so much to offer.

SO what should England do? i would suggest sticking back in the county mix and let him get in some form. i don't think he should stay in the ENgland line up at the moment.

ANy other opinions?

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Stick with him, He has shown what a player he is in the past and he is just having a bad run of form which can happen to anyone and everyone.
If it continues and continues then you could think about Trescothick but for now just stick with him.

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
I'd pretty much have a chat with him, explain to him my reasoning and then give him a run in county cricket so that he could work on a few things and get some decent time in the middle.

His bad run hasn't been helped by a few dubious decisions along the way but when things aren't going right for you then it's to be expected. I think a little stint back at Middlesex would be no bad thing and it would give him a chance to find some form away from the media and pubic eye.

Prehaps he misses opening with Tresco as before he could sit back and play his game knowing that Tresco scored quickly enough to maintain a decent run rate. Cook is a different player and perhaps as the senior in the partnership Strauss feels its his task to keep the scoreboard ticking along.

tsyrmas

Club Cricketer
I'd pretty much have a chat with him, explain to him my reasoning and then give him a run in county cricket so that he could work on a few things and get some decent time in the middle.

His bad run hasn't been helped by a few dubious decisions along the way but when things aren't going right for you then it's to be expected. I think a little stint back at Middlesex would be no bad thing and it would give him a chance to find some form away from the media and pubic eye.

Prehaps he misses opening with Tresco as before he could sit back and play his game knowing that Tresco scored quickly enough to maintain a decent run rate. Cook is a different player and perhaps as the senior in the partnership Strauss feels its his task to keep the scoreboard ticking along.

Excuse my ignorance, but are there any players going around in the county circuit that could replace him. As far as I'm concerned, Stubbings is doing alright for Derbyshire, but thats about all i know. WHo else is there?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I think one can classify this as a temporary loss of form--it happens to the best of players. I'd rather they stick with him than try to inject an unknown quantity into their team ahead of what may be a challenging summer of cricket. But then, that may just be because I know the Indian team's likelihood of giving them a magnificent debut is quite high.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
No way stubbings is going in there... but as soon as trescothick is ready to come back he wont have a place in the team until then he stays

Also isnt he vice captain??

rabeta

News Team Member
Also isnt he vice captain??

Yes he is vice-captain, but this shouldn't stop him being dropped. I agree with Robo on this one, just stick with him, I believe he is a quality player and has a gooh head on him. I felt really sorry for him yesterday, he looked so down after he got out, but hopefully he will pick himself up. A score will come soon, it says in my ava lol.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
i really do hope he gets back in form but as soon as tresco is back he wont hold his spot unless other batsmen drop in form which isnt looking likely

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The England team suffers from such entropy, it's a tough decision to make. He started out great, then dropped back to a not so great, inconsistent level (but still making runs) and now he's found a consistently low scoring level which is indicative of genuine poor form. I suppose you could drop him, but who will replace him? Are there any takers? Ian Bell seems like the most likely top order player and he's already in the team.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Ian Bell is best at 6, fact. He should not be promoted up the order. Six is his position for me. I would definetly stick with Straussey, he is an extremely talented player and is just going through a spot of bad form. As for possible replacements, what about:
Trescothick
Benning
Joyce
Morgan
Vaughan
Loye

I would still stick with Strauss though.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Benning can be very very destuctive

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
Excuse my ignorance, but are there any players going around in the county circuit that could replace him. As far as I'm concerned, Stubbings is doing alright for Derbyshire, but thats about all i know. WHo else is there?

Obviously, you could recall Tresco but I feel that the selectors would rather he gets a season of county cricket under his belt.

The other option is to recall Shah and move Vaughn to open. In terms of bringing in a fresh face then the candidates would probably be one from Newman, Denly or Batty. Chilton could be considered the outsiders outside bet.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Ian Bell is best at 6, fact. He should not be promoted up the order. Six is his position for me. I would definetly stick with Straussey, he is an extremely talented player and is just going through a spot of bad form. As for possible replacements, what about:
Trescothick
Benning
Joyce
Morgan
Vaughan
Loye

Yeah, based on that list, I'd stick with him, too. It highlights the concern I have. If you drop a guy like Strauss for someone who isn't playing any better, what sort of mixed message are you sending?

First, I don't believe England can select Eoin Morgan. Even if they could, he's very young and hasn't really sold his case for selection.

Players like Benning, Loye and Joyce I have the most concern over. Aside from his impactive style, Benning's career record isn't really worth considering and his season to date is awful. Joyce might be an option but for his seven innings, there are players with twice as many runs. He would be a familiar face, but it wouldn't be a case of picking the best player on form.

Similarly with Loye, in very modest form and not a long term pick either. Why drop Strauss if you don't really want to?

Vaughan, well Vaughan is already in the team, like Bell, difference is, if you put Vaughan in to open, you still need a top order batsman to fill his spot, or a guy to replace Bell down the order.

Tresco is in good form, but let's not forget why is isn't still in the team. It will take some time before selectors will be confident.

I think Owais Shah would be a sensible choice, he's been there before, has a good overall record and is in the runs. He'd be a good chance to do well enough to make a rival sweat and work hard. Otherwise, take a punt on one of the really young guys. Give someone with potential an idea of where he needs to take his game.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Shah still isnt a top order batsman though, i dont see shah as an opener. 3-5 i feel is his place, whereas bell's best place is 5-6. Strauss has to be supported in these tough times, his form has dipped, but his average is still pretty high. It's not like he is consistently getting out for below 10, he always seems to get starts of 20-40 and its just letting him get on with his game and allow him to battle through. Maybe a rest from the Odi series would be of benefit to him.

Sureshot

Executive member
Trescothick
Benning
Joyce
Morgan
Vaughan
Loye

Morgan is Irish.

Benning hasn't done enough in FC cricket yet.

Loye? No.

Trescothick will never play for England again imo.

Joyce is a real possibility. Who else?

Chopra at Essex is quite promising. Ravi's been in good form (open with Cook and Vaughan).

I don't think Strauss will be dropped, not yet anyway but if Fred was to come back in for the next test (we know that won't happen now) Strauss is the out of form player.

Users who are viewing this thread