Which Career Mode would you prefer for a Cricket game?

Which Career Mode would you prefer?

• Total voters

mattk

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think people should take Ross' word that the management mode wasn't fun

angad

Chairman of Consent

Right! Else why would one take the bold step of scrapping a mode that 'was' already created and then create a whole new one!!! A lot of developers would have just gone ahead with the management mode even if it was not fun to play and then bring out the pro feature in the next version.....but hats off to BigAnt, that they chose to scrap that mode and then work hard to be able to build a new one in time.

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
He made the same decision with the football game. I spoke with him at an EB games demo where he basically said "we really focused on the gameplay, particularly online. Originally there was a very simple management mode where at the end of each season a few players were moved around through trades and such but it was very shallow and not very fun"

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He made the same decision with the football game. I spoke with him at an EB games demo where he basically said "we really focused on the gameplay, particularly online. Originally there was a very simple management mode where at the end of each season a few players were moved around through trades and such but it was very shallow and not very fun"

Thanks, we have form for dropping things that we don't like :)

BTW which EB play session were you at - seems so long ago!

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

There's already titles existing for a feature like that anyway... the 'Be A Pro' mode sounds infinitely better than some team-management mini-game. I'm not one for buying a game then staring at menus and trading players all day. I know there's plenty of folk who like that but I think (and based on the pretty obvious-but-we-got-it-anyway poll) most people just want to play a cricket game and get the sense of achievement of guiding a created player through their career. Seems a lot more 'intimate' and whether you just create yourself or an imaginary player it's the sort of thing worth investing time in... Plus, I imagine from the way it sounds there's plenty of re-playability in that sort of thing... Be a Bowler, Be a Batsman, Be a Keeper, Be an All-Rounder (and so on). Lots of options and re-playable scenarios... how fast can you make the test team, etc?

Last edited:

Saurabh17

Club Cricketer
There's already titles existing for a feature like that anyway... the 'Be A Pro' mode sounds infinitely better than some team-management mini-game. I'm not one for buying a game then staring at menus and trading players all day. I know there's plenty of folk who like that but I think (and based on the pretty obvious-but-we-got-it-anyway poll) most people just want to play a cricket game and get the sense of achievement of guiding a created player through their career. Seems a lot more 'intimate' and whether you just create yourself or an imaginary player it's the sort of thing worth investing time in... Plus, I imagine from the way it sounds there's plenty of re-playability in that sort of thing... Be a Bowler, Be a Batsman, Be a Keeper, Be an All-Rounder (and so on). Lots of options and re-playable scenarios... how fast can you make the test team, etc?

I think that most of them who think a manager mode is better than a 'be a pro mode' haven't had a taste of 'be a pro mode'.
When I started playing fifa I only played manager mode but it all changed 2 years back when I started playing career mode as a player and found it way more fun..

But in fifa you can pretty much control the outcome of a match if you are a striker/midfielder and you are always involved in the game....This is not the case with cricket which is a huge bonus.:)

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I like the sound of the Be a Pro style career mode, but I'd also be very keen to play an international season/tour mode, where you take control of the whole team and play out the fixtures calendar.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I like the sound of the Be a Pro style career mode, but I'd also be very keen to play an international season/tour mode, where you take control of the whole team and play out the fixtures calendar.
I don't think tours have been ruled out, indeed I think they are confirmed.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't think tours have been ruled out, indeed I think they are confirmed.

One of my best memories in a cricket game is the international season mode in BLC 99. I can remember getting knocked over to about 8 down playing as England, and Darren Gough getting stuck in and bringing up a fifty.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

There is a difference between being the team and being part of the team. The first argument would be, I give you 11 chances to achieve something and how many times would mess it up and be okay with it. On the other hand you got once chance only, and how would you feel about it?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
There is a difference between being the team and being part of the team. The first argument would be, I give you 11 chances to achieve something and how many times would mess it up and be okay with it. On the other hand you got once chance only, and how would you feel about it?

I know what you're saying, with cricket games in the past I've been quite happy to, say, smack the ball around with an opener because if I get out I can just dig in with the no.3, but if I was in a Be A Pro mode I'd be concentrating much more on my innings as if I'm out, that's it.

kingoffuel

Club Captain
Profile Flag
South Africa

I think that at the end of the day, you can control 11 players in single player mode, so the career mode would be a waste from that perspective. I understand manager mode, a lot of people do like it. Personally though, in Fifa, UFC and those (terrible) WWE games, I preferred building your player from scratch an moving up levels and acquiring new skills.

Controlling one player keeps your ego in check, knowing what your player can and can't do, reacting to game situations, taking risks at certain points and not taking risks at other times. Giving you 1 chance to make your mark really tests your skills as a player. In most other games all you have is one chance, not 11. You fail you, you lose the match or start over.

I understand that it's a team sport, but cricket is one of those sports where you can play for the team by playing for yourself at the same time.

wrick3000

Club Captain
Ok the naming convention is "BE A PRO" so people out here is blindly comparing ot to the BE A PRO mode of FIFA. Personally I don't like BE A PRO of FIFA. But have you played BECOME A LEGEND in PES or Career mode in any existing MLB titles. Please do play that and then you will understand the fun in it.

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Will you be able to have multiple saved careers?

Users who are viewing this thread