Why England insist on their keeper opening in ODI's?

Collingwood50

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Prehaps I'm Missing something, prehaps the ICC insist on it, but ever since the days of Nixon, England and i expect many teams insist on their keeper opening, when most bat at 7 in tests. How come keepers never open in tests then?

Mustard, Prior, Davies etc shouldn't be opening in ODI In my opinion.

Discuss

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Davies actually opens in OD cricket for Worcester though and has done a good job. It's just another example of sides looking for their own Gilchrist.

Sureshot

Executive member
This kind of thing really winds me up.

All three players mentioned have played the majority, if not all, of their OD careers at county level opening the batting. Those three also happen to be the best in the country at the moment over recent times anyway. To select them because they've done well opening then say, "No, you can bat 7." is diabolical team and man management.

Collingwood50

Club Cricketer
This kind of thing really winds me up.

All three players mentioned have played the majority, if not all, of their OD careers at county level opening the batting. Those three also happen to be the best in the country at the moment over recent times anyway. To select them because they've done well opening then say, "No, you can bat 7." is diabolical team and man management.

Well Cheers for explaining, you've answered my question:cool:

frightfully sorry for winding you up over a question:(

:cheers

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
A better question would be:
Given that there are now 6 batting/all rounder spots left in the England side with a keeper-batsmen, how can we not find room for the man with the third highest list A average in the history of English cricket.

jordox

International Cricketer
Keepers don't open in test matches because of the work load I imagine. Even superman would need a break after keeping for 2 days straight.

Users who are viewing this thread