Why is Chris Gayle's performance for WI so ordinary?

hawkeye

Club Cricketer
Gayle-force to gentle breeze?

Since his rapprochement with the Caribbean cricket authorities and his return to the West Indies team, only sporadically has superstar-player Chris Gayle lived up to his billing. And after his very poor recent run his status within the team has come in for some scrutiny. Despite an ODI career average of almost 38 the tall left-hander has made only 26 runs per innings in the 26 games since his return, with only four scores over 50; and while he had a good T20 World Cup in Sri Lanka, he has otherwise been less than spectacular. Ironically it is in Test cricket, the version for which he has expressed some indifference that he has done best in -- though it has to be mentioned that his six games were against New Zealand, Zimbabwe, and Bangladesh.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Maybe its money

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Because international cricket isn't all about smashing part time grubs on a good wicket. Sometimes good bowlers actually open the bowling. Sometimes the pitches aren't what you'd like. Caribbean pitches are often ropey. Gayle is also a superior tourist.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Gayle has always struggled against the ball that lifts up from the fuller length going across towards the slips. I can think of an India-WI series long back when Ajit Agarkar got him regularly either caught behind or plumb LBW because his action was such that he used to get the ball away from middle and leg region and uncomfortable heights for the big man. I think here is the same problem. He is neither coming forward nor going back when facing fuller deliveries that meant to sail down into keeper's gloves outside off after pitching on leg and middle. I think the fact that he has been playing T20 cricket regularly and not much of ODIs and Test matches, he seems to have given up a thought about using his feet before jumping on the ball. That is where I think the problem lies. That apart, I think it might also be the case that his reputation has gone big on him and when he sees Charles scoring freely at the other end, he gets an adrenaline rush. As a result, he goes for a rash shot and loses his wicket. Maybe opening with a solid batsman like Simmons can solve the problem a little. History says opening combo of a solid batsman and an aggressive batsman has been really successful for their teams. You can take an example of Haynes-Greenidge, Gavaskar,Srikanth, Hayden-Langer/Hayden-Gilchrist or Sehwag-Gambhir.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
I don't think it's the money. A player won't really bother too much about how much he is being paid once he steps on to the cricket field.

I feel he is going through a bad patch, which has unfortunately come when there is international cricket. It could also be that he is very used to the small grounds that are generally there in the T20 leagues, relatively flat wickets and you don't always have to face quality bowlers.

Could be anything but money I believe.

War

Chairman of Selectors
While Gayle was away from windies duty and was on fire in T20 leagues worldwide, basically making himself the best T20 batsman in the world. Impressions of him understandably rose, but his ability got exaggerated.

Gayle in a lot ways is left-handed version of Sehwag. He has a lot of technical flaws that bowlers have exposed especially in tests (he has always been a very good ODI batsman). I think people are expecting too much from him.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
It's clearly money... Pay him more and he'll score more runs. A simple equation...

Or it's what Angryangy said and the whole money thing is a load of gibberish. Same reason Ramps didn't score 50 Test hundreds or Hick didn't break every record going or Craig White wasn't the next Botham. Weird as it may seem, that extra few mph and that extra percentage of balls in the right place makes it a bit harder to just stand and slog. A good eye will only get you so far.

Junior963

School Cricketer
There Is a simple solution to this with the way gayle plays when he goes through a bad patch it takes a very long time to capture some form. Also the pitches in the Caribbean are horrible so if u are going through a rough time my best advice is to pray for tour to England, India anywhere except the West Indies and as sir Garry sobers said recently ground staff in the Caribbean are not as before. Something with which I agree they really don't care about the pitches they are actually the people who think about money rather than what they do.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Gayle's going through a bad patch of form that every cricketer who's played internationally for more than 10 years has gone through.

He averages 42 for West Indies in Test cricket which is more than anyone else in recent history, barring Chanderpaul and of course Lara if we go back even further. He's got triple hundreds, smashed bowlers in World Cup matches (remember 2003) as well as in T20s (again, check out world T20s). Okay fair, his recent record in the IPL has been phenomenal, but that's just because it was an unbelievable run of form in the last 2/3 years in the IPL. Partly to do with poor bowlers and flat tracks, but no one else there decimated bowlers like he did.

Samuels

WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
There Is a simple solution to this with the way gayle plays when he goes through a bad patch it takes a very long time to capture some form. Also the pitches in the Caribbean are horrible so if u are going through a rough time my best advice is to pray for tour to England, India anywhere except the West Indies and as sir Garry sobers said recently ground staff in the Caribbean are not as before. Something with which I agree they really don't care about the pitches they are actually the people who think about money rather than what they do.

I agree to disagree. Firstly, Yes, the Carribean wickets are not what they used to be, including one in the Sabina Park but to say that international batsmen should pray for favorable conditions to come out of a rough patch is a joke. Everyone knows that if you have played 10 years of international cricket, you must be someone special and such players do not have to depend on the pitches to be in their favor especially when you are a see the ball, hit the ball kind of batsman. Secondly, Gayle was always good in T20. Remember his partnership with Smith in the first match of the inaugural T20I world cup? It seems that Gayle has become so used to playing on flat wickets and medium quality attack that I feel to work on his technique has been on the least priority in his list and now that he is back facing quality attack on different pitches in longer formats, old flaw of technique against the short of good length outswingers pitched on middle, middle and leg is showing up. So the bottom line is, he just need to forget what he has done on the flat decks world over and work on his technique to come out more solid with all guns blazing. I'm sure the team management would be aware of that flaw in his technique and would be working on it. It of course would not be removed 100% like Virender Sehwag's inability to hit and indeeper from outside the off stump but he can surely work on it to minimize the flaw. Money thing is all rubbish. Chris Gayle is a human and has to go through a bad patch like every other cricketer does. Period.

Samuels

WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Thread question is as simple as water. It's money. $$

And the answer of the question is clear as crystal. Gayle is a human who is going through a rough patch and it has nothing to do with money.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
International bowlers

IPL bowlers

That's why

Users who are viewing this thread