'Boundaries of entertainment' - Gayle and Sexism!

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Now, I'm a bit livid at the moment and I wanted to post about this after the Big Bash, but this was already a blown out of proportion subject and I didn't want to come across as someone jumping upon the bandwagon to bash Gayle.

First of all, I'm from a liberal family and I'm quite liberal myself, at least in terms of Indian culture. I fully understand that people come from different backgrounds, different cultures and there's no right or wrong, but I still feel that there must be a limit. I'm all for the laid back attitude from the Carribean, the dance, the music and all the flair in the world but again, there's a limit.

Ever since the advent of world T20 cricket, the WI and it's cricketers have entertained us around the globe with some truly breathtaking cricket. For what I know of WI, they're proud, happy people who inject spirit and freshness in the most dull people. They're humorous and life is generally all about a beach a martini when it comes to them. However, in the past six months, I see a desperate attempt to play the victim card among their cricketers. One of those, is Chris Gayle and he's taken it to a frankly disgusting level!

In my opinion, the British correspondent and Mel should charge him for sexual harassment! At least his episode with Mel, you can see how disturbed and shaken she is. Chris Gayle might find it funny, but just because he is big and calls himself some lame nickname as the universe boss doesn't make him one. The first step to being cool Chris is not calling yourself that! His autobiography where he speaks of Rogers and Flintoff tells me the low life that Chris Gayle is!

I think, he will be regarded as an entertainer because he has entertained us, but everything has boundaries and although he hit a lot of them, he's failed miserably to understand his boundaries in terms of being a human being. Sick!

So is it just me being conservative or do people see it the same way?

grkrama

National Board President
To me the worst thing he has done is naming his daughter as blush, that kid is going to grow up hating that name, i mean the guy just thinks everything is about him even naming his kid! The somerset are saying that gayle wont be reprimanded, so expect more of those tasteless barbs!

I think the guy is generally good at heart, but just a douchebag in talking to woman and thinks its cool to voice it out loud on air!

I just wish one of the woman reporters hit back with a question 'are you a professional MR gayle? would you like your woman being asked the same questions at work ?' just simple two question on air !

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Ever since the advent of world T20 cricket, the WI and it's cricketers have entertained us around the globe with some truly breathtaking cricket.

Aye, they did nothing before...

Though you're right, and this latest episode is particularly distasteful.

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
To me the worst thing he has done is naming his daughter as blush, that kid is going to grow up hating that name, i mean the guy just thinks everything is about him even naming his kid! The somerset are saying that gayle wont be reprimanded, so expect more of those tasteless barbs!

I think the guy is generally good at heart, but just a douchebag in talking to woman and thinks its cool to voice it out loud on air!

I just wish one of the woman reporters hit back with a question 'are you a professional MR gayle? would you like your woman being asked the same questions at work ?' just simple two question on air !

perhaps australian media over-sensationalised the issue

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I agree that it's not that funny anymore, but sexual harassment? Come on!

grkrama

National Board President
I agree that it's not that funny anymore, but sexual harassment?

Gayle, who is due to play for Somerset again this season in the NatWest T20 Blast, had sparked another sexism row earlier this week when he asked a Times journalist, Charlotte Edwardes, a string of inappropriate questions, including how many black men she has "had" and whether she had ever engaged in a "t'eesome", while also claiming he had "the biggest bat in the wooooorld".

Gayle hits back at sexism critics | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

And now speaking to Charlotte Edwardes, in an article published by the Times magazine, Gayle claims to have “a very, very big bat, the biggest in the wooooorld,” before adding: “You think you could lift it? You’d need two hands.”

Chris Gayle could face more sexism allegations after latest interview | Sport | The Guardian

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I agree that it's not that funny anymore, but sexual harassment? Come on!

It was NEVER funny.

Just look at Mel's reaction! Does she look jovial? What if Chris Gayle goes out to bat and in between deliveries and someone passes a racial slur and then says he was JOKING? YES, we understand that they're separate things but what's funny to him might not be funny to someone else. What might tick him off, might be 'a joke' to someone else. Like I said, everything cannot be passed as a joke! I don't know how old you are but if you were to have kids and they would idolise Gayle blindly for his brilliance on the field, you think this would not inspire him/her the wrong way if they were not old enough to distinguish between right or wrong?

Sexual harassment is a growing 'CRIME' and it's not always physical. I know of cases where the mental fatigue has led to suicides! Like @grkrama mentioned, I feel for the kid. Gayle might treat it like some sort of trophy, or victory announcement but for me he's an abusive, classless individual who is a big blot in the name of a 'sportsman.' He has no respect for his peers ala Freddy, Rogers etc. and in my book the 'universe boss' is nothing but a sexist, moronic loser who entertained us with plenty of boundaries but set himself none as a human being.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I don't know how old you are but if you were to have kids and they would idolise Gayle blindly for his brilliance on the field, you think this would not inspire him/her the wrong way if they were not old enough to distinguish between right or wrong?
FYI, i'm 16. And i see that you're much older than me. Maybe that's why we have such contrasting opinions. I don't think Mel McLaughlin or the English reporter will committ suicide because Gayle told them not to blush or asked some questions that were admittedly stupid. But to say that he's an abusive and classless individual is too harsh. That's the way he lives, like it or not. In case you don't know, he donated his whole WT20 match fees to charity. As for the kid, it's his daughter and he can name her whatever he wants to. Who are we to judge?

rijwan khan

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
it's his daughter and he can name her whatever he wants to. Who are we to judge?

Best lines i found , yes of course , who we are to judge that , it becomes completely obsolete . and by they way it was just a verbal thing nothing physical about that

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Now, I'm a bit livid at the moment and I wanted to post about this after the Big Bash, but this was already a blown out of proportion subject and I didn't want to come across as someone jumping upon the bandwagon to bash Gayle.

First of all, I'm from a liberal family and I'm quite liberal myself, at least in terms of Indian culture. I fully understand that people come from different backgrounds, different cultures and there's no right or wrong, but I still feel that there must be a limit. I'm all for the laid back attitude from the Carribean, the dance, the music and all the flair in the world but again, there's a limit.

Ever since the advent of world T20 cricket, the WI and it's cricketers have entertained us around the globe with some truly breathtaking cricket. For what I know of WI, they're proud, happy people who inject spirit and freshness in the most dull people. They're humorous and life is generally all about a beach a martini when it comes to them. However, in the past six months, I see a desperate attempt to play the victim card among their cricketers. One of those, is Chris Gayle and he's taken it to a frankly disgusting level!

In my opinion, the British correspondent and Mel should charge him for sexual harassment! At least his episode with Mel, you can see how disturbed and shaken she is. Chris Gayle might find it funny, but just because he is big and calls himself some lame nickname as the universe boss doesn't make him one. The first step to being cool Chris is not calling yourself that! His autobiography where he speaks of Rogers and Flintoff tells me the low life that Chris Gayle is!

I think, he will be regarded as an entertainer because he has entertained us, but everything has boundaries and although he hit a lot of them, he's failed miserably to understand his boundaries in terms of being a human being. Sick!

So is it just me being conservative or do people see it the same way?

I found the whole thing at the Big Bash blown out of proportion. Inappropriate for a professional environment, sure but hardly the worst thing ever.

Having said that, the latest incidence (if true) was not just inappropriate but could easily be defined as sexual harassment. It is not what you say in that or any other environment with someone you don't know. Maybe some disciplinary action from the WICB board?

Having said all that, no idea why his culture is relevant here.

S

Satan666

Couldnt agree more with OP, as a respected member of this community, Gayle is just disgusting and bordering shameless, a failure of a cricketer in my opinion whom has disowned his national team on a couple occasions for fame and moneu now sheds a bad light on one of the traditionally quiet, respectful teams!

How has he not been censored is beyound me!

Users who are viewing this thread