Why isn't a bigger deal being made of AI fields?

Offie

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Looked through the laws and can't see anything around a fielder standing directly behind the bowler being illegal.

Howlingwolf

School Cricketer
Think one of the worst A.I fielding bugs I have had was in Career mode when the A.I bowled to 5 slips for a whole innings.

highwater

School Cricketer
They can't stand behind the keeper, but the bowler's perfectly legal.

Hmmm, I was pretty sure that a fielder could not be placed in line with the stumps but I stand corrected if that's the case.

I have played in a game where the batsmen kept pulling away as it was "distracting" until the capatain eventually moved him just wide of the sightscreen.

To be honest, if I was batting and a fielder was walking in directly behind the bowler and umpire, I'd remonstrate.

Maybe it falls under distracting the batsmen. I can see no way that any batsman would allow a fielder to be behind the bowlers are at the point of facing a 90mph delivery with potentially the fielders clothing blending in with the ball.

Last edited:

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Thing is I think the angle the ball is bowled at you it's very unlikely unless you've got some VERY tall person that it's going to get anywhere near the area of the ball unless you play on a heavy slope or he's fielding fairly close. I seem to remember the commentators focusing on New Zealands unorthodox field in one of the WT20 matches and they definitely had someone on the straight.

yogi33

School Cricketer
The fields seem to be rocks or diamonds for me. Quite often the ai is reactive and puts in close fielders If I loft a drive. A bigger issue for me is that regardless of the field set the ai doesn't seem to bowl to it. I might loft a few drives so end up with a stacked offside field. Then the ai proceeds to bowl at leg stump for a few overs

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
They can't stand behind the keeper, but the bowler's perfectly legal.

It's the other way round actually. The position directly behind the wkt keeper was known as long stop in the old days and went out of fashion a wkt keeping improved coz it's a waste of a fielder but you can position the fielder at long stop if you so desire.

A fielder can't be positioned directly behind the bowler as the striker (batsman on strike) may object to it claiming he can't sight the ball owing to distraction caused by the fielder directly behind he bowler. That's why you have sight-screen behind the bowler. Even though there may not be a rule against the "straight hit" fielder but the fielder will need to be moved if the batsman objects.

Offie

School Cricketer
It's the other way round actually. The position directly behind the wkt keeper was known as long stop in the old days and went out of fashion a wkt keeping improved coz it's a waste of a fielder but you can position the fielder at long stop if you so desire.

A fielder can't be positioned directly behind the bowler as the striker (batsman on strike) may object to it claiming he can't sight the ball owing to distraction caused by the fielder directly behind he bowler. That's why you have sight-screen behind the bowler. Even though there may not be a rule against the "straight hit" fielder but the fielder will need to be moved if the batsman objects.

I've gone through the laws, and can't see any reference to it actually, although a distraction could be claimed, the law doesn't in any way ban it. Indeed, given the position of the ball on release, it's hard to be a distraction really.

As for the keeper, the issue comes because of the 2 fielders behind square on the leg. If he stands directly behind the keeper it's impossible for square leg umpire to know if it's offside or legside, and therefore impossible for him to call a no ball, as only the bowler's end can judge.

Although again, it's not specifically banned in the laws, it's considered something that should be brought to the fielding captain's attention.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
I've gone through the laws, and can't see any reference to it actually, although a distraction could be claimed, the law doesn't in any way ban it. Indeed, given the position of the ball on release, it's hard to be a distraction really.

As for the keeper, the issue comes because of the 2 fielders behind square on the leg. If he stands directly behind the keeper it's impossible for square leg umpire to know if it's offside or legside, and therefore impossible for him to call a no ball, as only the bowler's end can judge.

Although again, it's not specifically banned in the laws, it's considered something that should be brought to the fielding captain's attention.

The difference between the two positions is that I can have long stop, if there's only one other fielder behind square on the leg side, and the batsman can't object to it. But the batsman will surely object to the fielder standing in his line of vision directly behind the bowler and in front of the sight-screen. The umpire will force you to move the fielder and you can't do much about it.

Offie

School Cricketer
Except in theory, the umpire shouldnt consider it a distraction if the fielder doesn't move.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Except in theory, the umpire shouldnt consider it a distraction if the fielder doesn't move.

He will if the batsman objects. If Ambrose could be forced to remove his wrist bands coz batsman wasn't able to sight the ball properly, I bet umpires will force the "straight hit" fielder to move to the side ;)

Offie

School Cricketer
He will if the batsman objects. If Ambrose could be forced to remove his wrist bands coz batsman wasn't able to sight the ball properly, I bet umpires will force the "straight hit" fielder to move to the side ;)

In theory he shouldnt. Captain's entitled to place his field where he likes within the laws. Armbands etc aren't part of a playing kit officially.

joejoe018

Associate Cricketer
My problem about the AI fielding is they cheat :p In a powerplay they have 4-5 outfielder when I like to attack first.

Users who are viewing this thread