Will Ganguly come back to the heights he achieved before?

furyfoxx said:
They've sacked him from the post of Test captain as well now. Thats quite understandable but not the reason that Kiran More gives - "Looking at the overall performance of Sourav, we are not happy"

:mad Who's got a better record than him as test captain? Whatever reason they want him outta the team, atleast they should be honest about it, not just say he has a bad record as captain :what

that're actually right... overall performance of saurav as a batsman when he is captaining the team is not good at all. we all know that. thats what has been the debate for a long time. saurav deserves it though i want him to play a few matches and quit gracefully.. he remained in the team for too long with his poor form. sometime or the other, he should have either packed his bags and at least made an attempt to go back to domestic cricket, iron out his flaws and then should have returned better

Sourav as a batsmen has been disappointing, I agree. But the question here is not about his batting, its about his captaincy record.

Kiran More goes on to state "Winning matches against Zimbabwe should not be the criteria. We should be winning our matches and series against teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. The fact is that we have not won a series on foreign soil in 19 years. Looking at the overall performance of Sourav, we are not happy"

Isn't it convenient that Mr. More has forgotten that in addition to Zimbabwe, India have famously defeated Pakistan in Pakistan, South Africa, West Indies and Australia in India and have tied test series with Australia in Australia, England in England and Pakistan in India under Ganguly during the SAME few years that Kiran More's talking about.

Sacking him from the ODI captaincy I can understand on the basis of our past record, but this is ridiculus

But see, the thing is not abt captaincy record. When you have a captain who is so woefully out of form, how does he inspire his team mates to perform well and leads by example? yes, his captaincy record is very impressive but over the last few years, it has been nothing special...

And you talked abt Ganguly tied the series against Pakistan in India! Man, we should have won that series comprehensively. We just couldnt seal the first test and let Abdur Razzaq and Kamran Akmal draw the first test on the last day by giving them easy runs! When did we defeat South Africa? Are you talking abt those twoboring tests which gave India a 1-0 victory? I am not trying to undermine Ganguly and his captaincy but trying to say that he hasnt led the team in a special manner.

I still feel he should given a final chance when the time is ripe and good and let him retire in grace! He has been one of India's exceptional players and Indian cricket would ever be graceful to him for making the team accquire a new tag of a 'fighting unit'!

sinkwood said:
ganguly noway english coach don't like him

Greg Chappell is an Aussie.
And if you are talking about English coaches,when Ganguly turned up for a county,the coach there was praising him.
Also ,He is one of Geoffrey Boycott's favourite.
Dont see why the Englishmen won't like him then.

Also let me sum up Ganguly's ups and downs for you guys.

UPS
1.Australia victory in 2001 (2-1 )
2.Natwest 2002
3.ICC Champions Trophy 2000(runner-up)
4.ICC Champions Trophy 2002(joint-winner)
5.ICC Cricket World Cup 2003 (runner-up)
6.Australia series in 2003
7.Pakistan series in Pak in 2004.

DOWNS
1.New Zealand series in 2002
2.Losses against Australia,South Africa,West Indies and Zimbabwe resulting in India not winning the test series abroad.
3.Losing the so-called 'Final-Frontier'
4.Losing against Pakistan in ODI's and Tests (poor form)
5.Pathetic one-day form after 2003 Cricket World Cup.
6.Losing versus Bangladesh
7.Asia Cup 2004( though runner up,they did not deserve it )

Last edited:
iceman, i wish you dont give too much importance to sinkwood's words. my opinion is, he is a fool loitering around PC making stupid comments to garner attention....

(i dont care if i get de-repped for this!).

saisrini80 said:
iceman, i wish you dont give too much importance to sinkwood's words. my opinion is, he is a fool loitering around PC making stupid comments to garner attention....

(i dont care if i get de-repped for this!).
I gave you +ve rep for it! Because you're right.

ZexyZahid said:

Good news!

replying to aditya123's reply in the "South Africa in India" thread!

aditya123 said:
and as I typ , Ganguly has been included in the test side . I feel this in not right because Ganguly is not the best in tests . His records show that he is more valuable as a ODI batsman than a test match player. Also, he has seldom won test matches or saved them for India (the only one that springs to mind is Brisbane 2003)
Gsnguly has always been a great ODI batsman and an average test batsman .
And why has Zaheer not been selected ? He performed superbly in th Duleep Trophy . I cannot find any reason for his non-inclusion . I think we need his experience in tests . Ajit Agarkar may have taken wickets in the ODIs but he has not been the best in test matches and we cannot rely on him to win us test matches . Zaheer has 5 wicket hauls abroad and had performed well in the home series against Australia in 2004 though he did not get many wickets

Zaheer is not picked most probably due to his attitude problem. I read on some site (cant remember!) that he definitely has some attitude problems and thats why he is kept out of the side. And we have some interesting bowlers. Why go for Zaheer when Ganguly is there? :D just kidding....

Agarkar may not have a good test record and may have been erratic in the past, but not anymore! He has proved that his inconsistency is being corrected by the support team and that he is moving in the right direction! His consistency so far in the ODI's have been very heartening (15 wickets in 8 matches is no easy feat!). And you know what, its easier to bowl in test matches than in a ODI. ODI's need more consistency and Agarkar has displayed that by picking wickets at regular intervals! He is enough for the team right now with Pathan and RP Singh.

A good trio is being formed here!

Ganguly now would pick himself in the starting XI and which means both Yuvraj and Kaif would have to sit out! Bad luck for them but they need to take it in their stride and keep working. If Ganguly succeeds, its still good for Indian cricket. If not, there is always these two guys to replace him. So we have nothing to lose!

The selectors say that Ganguly's been selected as a 'Bowling-Allrounder' <never thought i would see those words associated with Ganguly> Anyways he got figures of 22-3-64-5 in the Ranji Trophy match versus Maharashtra.

Lets hope he can be as consistent in international cricket as well.

I thought they said they selected him as a batting all rounder

:brickwall d'oh another typo. Gotta keep my mind awake while typing. yes they did chose him as a BATTING allrounder...

the reason they said allrounder was to take off some pressure on gangully ,

now even if he doesnt score , they will say he is a alrounder , he can still bowl, Lol

but i really hope gangully plays well , he gave up too many things for this team , and the repaid him by kicking him out ,

Wonder what the atmosphere will be like in the dressing room now. Will the other players have the same or any respect for Ganguly? Will they speak their mind more freely about his performances now?

Any idea who the vice-captain will be for the series?

Vice captain is not going to be either of Ganguly, Tendulkar or Kumble. It might be Sehwag again..

What has Ganguly done to lose the respect of his team mates? Yes, he made public a private discussion. But that isnt a criminal thing to do to lose the respect of his team mates. Yes he would not be the same leader anymore but he would still be affectionately called 'Dada' and all that!

Now Ganguly has to take up to Chappell's training regimen to survive! Its not going to be easy for him. The next few months will definitely show the world what Ganguly the cricketer is capable of! We are fully justified in taking the risk of seeing what he is worth of!

Users who are viewing this thread