Will spin really be important in this tournament?

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
In the WI v NZ match, spin and medium bowling did way better than the pace bowling. Apart from Bond cos he's the man.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Not really, every one bowled well apart from Vettori, and the key bowler was Styris who bowls off-cutters. McCullum bowled well and so did the West Indies spinners, so spinners have performed well so far :)

TumTum

International Cricketer
STFU Maclovin, this thread will never be over, it is getting messy now, we will just have to use the stats cricinfo provides once the tournament starts.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Zimbabwe beat the heavyweights, Australia and Pakistan? Wow, they are doing really well.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
It's just warmups Sai, let's see how they perform once the tournament gets underway.

Didnt they stun Australia in one of the earlier versions of the T20 World Cup too? It might not just be a warmup thing. The big teams have to be absolutely on their toes to avoid embarassment in this format. Thats why I am more worried about our May 1 game vs Afghanistan than our game vs South Africa.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Spin is important in T20s in general. Fast bowlers are simply easier to hit, but with spinners (esp. early on) the ball doesn't come on as well, draining the runs and forcing the batsman to play risks inside the powerplay. Ashwin was fantastic at doing so in the IPL, I feel we may have missed a trick by not selecting him for that one sole reason.

With our fast bowlers, barring Zaheer, in such woeful form, I am more than game to play 3 attacking spin options. Harbhajan-Ashwin-Ojha would've done the trick for me, instead we've got a few hapless seamers and freaking Piyush (who has the record for being hit for the most sixes in like all of the IPLs)

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
Didnt they stun Australia in one of the earlier versions of the T20 World Cup too? It might not just be a warmup thing. The big teams have to be absolutely on their toes to avoid embarassment in this format. Thats why I am more worried about our May 1 game vs Afghanistan than our game vs South Africa.

Well fair enough, but the chances of Afghanistan beating India is negligible afterall they are one of the favourites.

shirazu

Club Cricketer
Can't believe the guys who get picked for India, four spinners + zaheer would suit them well. Most of the time their "fast" bowlers get knocked out of the attack anyway and they go with part-timers, certainly they'd do better with an actual bowler?

Anyway spin always does well in T20, don't see why a tournament with really slow pitches would be any different.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Kyle Mills has been left out, and Nathan McCullum, the offspinner, is likely to open the bowling. Look out for the XIs above.

I wonder why...

Users who are viewing this thread