Story William Rose - My Attempt at greatness! - SOTM November -

Trying to keep it realistic - if i was really injured i'd make it much more dramatic ;)

Training - A Push To Make The Team

After being dropped nothing could be worse for me, my confidence took a massive knock and I thought that maybe I'd done something seriously wrong. I wonder if it was those nights out recently, im still young and I should be allowed! The coach would have different ideas. But if I could blow everyone away at training they couldn't not play me.

Unfortunatly Elliot was an international player and bowling to him was not easy. The Aussie played me all too easily and I was looking at another game of carrying on the drinks. But a couple of good balls and he changed over for Peng and it was too easy. I had Peng walking back to the pavilion - well not really considering it was a net session - twice in my first ten balls. I really needed better opposition or maybe Peng did as he then launched my yorker back over my head and started playing me too easily.

Again a mixed nets session left me sweating about my place. The coach called me into his office and said he thought I had been working too hard and should take it easy for a couple of days before the match. He then announced he was unsure wether it would be me or Sheriyar.

Days went by while they were training and i was resting wishing I could be there to prove my point. The coach rang me the day before our game, it went a little like this:

Coach - So hows the resting going? I hope everythings ok.
Me - Yeah but just waiting for my chance to prove im a worthy player.
Coach - SO the restings ok, you sure you dont want another game off?
Me - Im positive, thanks for thinking about it though.
Coach - Im not sure, you sure you dont need a rest?
Me - Yes, i already said that.
Coach - Well turn up tommorow and ill see if you need that rest. I've also asked Sheryiar to turn up so we'll wait and see.
Me - Yeah thanks.

He's useless.

He sounds like a pretty thick guy. He drops you after you take 7 wickets, and thinks you need a rest in May. To be honest, if I was the Glamorgan Director of Cricket, I'd be window shopping!!

Thankfully sooner rather than later the coach realised his mistake, Sheriyar was dropped and I was brought back in.

Glamorgan Vs Hampshire

So the coach had realised his mistake and I was again in the team for the 50 over match against Hampshire and I would be given the new ball. I was just loving the prospect of facing Shane Warne but I might not have to if the team batted well enough. But we fell 12-2 and automatically I expected that I would bat decently early but Hemp and Elliot had other ideas. It was brilliant to watch them hitting runs at a good rate. Bad news however as I wouldn?t face Warne, good news that he bowled ten overs for 72, only taking the wicket of Hemp (for 89.) Elliot however got 124 before Greg Lamb bowled him I was in with 9 overs to go at 243/6. But it wasn?t long before I was back in the pavilion for one, I was batting so dreadfully at the moment ? with the exception of the West Indies game - which was so different to how I was batting in the nets. We were eventually bowled all out for 282 off 47 overs.

We thought we had a chance and Jones and Davies restricted them to 39 off the first ten overs and I was given the ball with the plan to rip through them and give us a convincing win. I bowled 5 overs for 42 before being taken off and things were going from bad to worse, its all the coaches fault for dropping me. They however struggled when me and Croft were brought back on and even with my recent bowling form after three good overs the next one was spanked about. They needed 27 to win from five overs with one left from me. Pieterson had hit us around the park and he was on 112*. I ran into bowl with purpose but he played me too easily as he improved his score with a four then a two. One ball to come from me and i ran into bowl and gave it my all and he missed it! But it hit him just above the knee roll and i thought it was going over but still I had to appeal and maybe just maybe the umpire would give it and he did! But it was never out!

hawkeye230707_468x467.jpg

But Shane Warne came out to bat and saw them home with nine balls to spare and I got to shake his hand after the match but I walked back into the pavilion with a nice smile on my face. :facepalm Big Mistake! The coach ripped into my poor attitude.

10 overs for 68, a loss, a bollocking from the coach, a handshake from Shane Warne. Swings and roundabouts, eh?

Thankfully sooner rather than later the coach realised his mistake, Sheriyar was dropped and I was brought back in.

It should be a semi-colon rather than a comma there. Rather nitpicky thing though, doesn't really matter. They're separate thoughts.

So the coach had realised his mistake and I was again in the team for the 50 over match against Hampshire and I would be given the new ball. I was just loving the prospect of facing Shane Warne but I might not have to if the team batted well enough. But we fell 12-2 and automatically I expected that I would bat decently early but Hemp and Elliot had other ideas.

You probably shouldn't start a sentence with 'But'. Either join it to the previous sentence, or start the sentence without it. I probably would have written 'We fell 12-2 however, and...' Also, 'decently early' just doesn't sound proper. I would have used the word 'reasonably' but there's no reason why you can't use your word choice - just doesn't seem right to me.

It was brilliant to watch them hitting runs at a good rate. Bad news however as I wouldn?t face Warne, good news that he bowled ten overs for 72, only taking the wicket of Hemp (for 89.) Elliot however got 124 before Greg Lamb bowled him I was in with 9 overs to go at 243/6.

Forgotten a full stop? After 'bowled him'. Or you could have used a conjunction.

But it wasn?t long before I was back in the pavilion for one, I was batting so dreadfully at the moment ? with the exception of the West Indies game - which was so different to how I was batting in the nets. We were eventually bowled all out for 282 off 47 overs.

Again, starting a sentence with 'But'. Also, the comma should be a semi-colon again.

We thought we had a chance and Jones and Davies restricted them to 39 off the first ten overs and I was given the ball with the plan to rip through them and give us a convincing win. I bowled 5 overs for 42 before being taken off and things were going from bad to worse, its all the coaches fault for dropping me.

The first sentence is structurally sound, but has too many 'and's for my liking. Makes it go on and on, when you could have made it two sentences. Instead of the comma I would have used a dash. The situation doesn't really befit a comma there. Also instead of 'its' it should be 'it's' because it's a contraction of it is.

They however struggled when me and Croft were brought back on and even with my recent bowling form after three good overs the next one was spanked about.

Instead of 'me and Croft' it should be 'Croft and I'.

They needed 27 to win from five overs with one left from me. Pieterson had hit us around the park and he was on 112*. I ran into bowl with purpose but he played me too easily as he improved his score with a four then a two. One ball to come from me and i ran into bowl and gave it my all and he missed it! But it hit him just above the knee roll and i thought it was going over but still I had to appeal and maybe just maybe the umpire would give it and he did! But it was never out!

More 'but's at the start of the sentence. The second one isn't as bad though.

But Shane Warne came out to bat and saw them home with nine balls to spare and I got to shake his hand after the match but I walked back into the pavilion with a nice smile on my face. :facepalm Big Mistake! The coach ripped into my poor attitude.

10 overs for 68, a loss, a bollocking from the coach, a handshake from Shane Warne. Swings and roundabouts, eh?

More problems with 'But' :p

Overall, you have good grammar and spelling, just a few recurring problems like 'but' and a few minor errors. A very good update though, and I enjoy your writing style and storyline. Pretty good presentation as well. Keep up the good work :thumbs

Notts vs Glamorgan

I was back in the FC team and I had to say in recent weeks my confidence had taken a big knock. We won the toss and choose to bat, my confidence got further ruined as I was told I?d be batting at nine, which looking back was deserved. We got off to a brilliant start, Powell and Elliot put on 84 before Powell missed a straight one. Maher fell early but Elliot carried on through to confirm a fifty. Hemp also reached fifty as him and Elliot continued to pile on the runs. Elliot got his first ton of the season and Hemp fell for 83 but then Peng and Elliot batted out the rest of the day and Glamorgan ended the day on 305/3. The coach told us he expected more of the same tomorrow however he told me to stay behind; I was told that I would be batting at ten as he thought my batting was unacceptable at the moment. I wanted to tell him that I was losing my confidence with the batting demotions but I thought better of it.

More of the same happened in the morning, the brilliant batting track continued to show no bowler friendly signs as Peng confirmed a hundred and Elliot approached 200. But Elliot fell for 196 as Shreck took Notts? fourth wicket and it was also his fourth wicket. Peng fell shortly afterwards for 121 and we prepared for a declaration. We continued to hit runs at a quick rate as we reached 613 off 165 overs. But then I came into bat as we lost our eighth wicket, Crofty told me as I came into bat that I had the rest of the afternoon session and a quarter of the evening session to bat. First ball, outside offstump and I cut it away with a big shot, four! I had a rush of self confidence and I believed I could do anything. Next ball, Ealham runs into ball and I go for another big shot and I feel the ball come off the egde and gone. Confidence out the window. Two overs later and we were bowled all out for 627.

Me and S Jones would be given the new ball and I was so nervous because I thought I was going to be hammered around the park. Jones however backed me up at one end by taking a quick wicket that left them 10/1. He took another three overs later, 17/2. He was on fire, I was bowling quite well if I was honest. We both bowled nine overs each, they hit 36 runs of us two and they struggled with the way we were swinging the ball. Davies and Betts bowled out the rest of the day with no luck and Notts were 90/2 with day three on the horizon. Crofty announced that I and he would bowl at the beginning of the day and he expected me to be ready. Sixteen overs later and I was the wicket taker, it was frustrating how easily Patel and Hussey were playing me so I tried to bowl a quick bouncer at Patel. Patel was caught of his guard and I had another FC wicket.

Crofty decided it was time for a change but he couldn?t keep me out the game as a quick pick up and through ran Hussey out and again I was buzzing. By the time we were offered the new ball, Notts were 288/7. Crofty turned to me to get the last three wickets, would I disappoint? No in my third over I sent Sidebottom pack to the pavilion with a full ball on leg stump that he missed and I bowled him. Betts got Harris out at the other end and I finished off with a caught and bowled. They had to follow on and we had a day and a session to bowl them all out and get our first win.

3fer.jpg

But we could we do it?
Fancy a guess? (Rep to the winner)

getting a little cocky with the bat i see. I personally dont think you will do it. i think itll be a draw

Notts Vs Glamorgan
Notts' Innings​

For some reason Crofty refused to give me the new ball but Jones and Davies were suitable replacements as we took early wickets leaving them 32-2 when I was brought on for the pavilion end and straight away I had my bunny – Samit Patel – caught behind as I took another wicket and 34-3 gave us some real momentum and I carried on bowling my usual line and length on offstump that swings away from the batsman but eventually I was taken off after eight overs but was still over the moon with my wicket as they were struggling at 78/4.

Jason Gallian and Stephen Fleming put up a fight as they put on over two hundred despite me, Jones, Betts, Davies, Crofts and even Pengs best attempts at getting them out. They were a stone wall but there main pride in the achievment was there run rate, they put on 220 off a mamoth 450 balls. Eventually Jones dismissed Fleming for 152 and we still thought we could win this match. They had five wickets remaining with three quarters of a session left and they were twenty runs behind. The pitch however was turning rapidly and skidding off the pitch but they overtook our score and the match was slipping away from us. I was brought back on with hope of reviving the match. No luck however and they looked to bat out for a draw. With three overs to go I came back on and took a wicket straight away and Croft chipped in with one but it was too late as they secured a draw.

We couldn't find that win and to rub it in a little bit more worse I was invited to talk with Sky sports about our teams bad form. Mainly having to take there outrageous critism of the team. Not that it was wrong - it was just outrageous.

draw1cfsdfsdfdsdfdfopy.jpg

Tough bit of luck for you...methinks you're not going to be batting anywhere higher than 10 anytime soon.

A draw was likely but it's better than a loss, so take positives from it.

maybe you should of been given the new ball. you might of won. I think you got unlucky in their second innings it would have been good to see you get a win. but there is always next match

I through they might surrender the initiative in their relegation battle with Glamorgan. Gallian and Fleming were outstanding and, delighted that they have secured the position.

Ireland Vs Glamorgan
One Day

We have Ireland in our next game and im looking forward to it, a chance to take some easy wickets with some easy opposition. The coach wanted to talk to me, Simon Jones, Elliot, Peng and Davies before the game. Normally I would be worried about being dropped but all five of us couldn't be dropped, surely? The coach said that he thought the game against Ireland would be an easy task so he said he didnt need to play the players he thought who looked tired, including us!

How could I be tired in any way possible?! The flippin' coach doesnt play me so how could I need a rest?! Has he ever had a youth player at the cricket club before because he doesnt know how to coach one. Honestly Im leaving Glamorgan at my first chance, the team lack ambition. Ive had it with this team.

Ireland lost by 100 runs and my replacement Kyle Tudge - a young offspinner - took 4 wickets on debut, oh no. It may have been our first win of the season but its Ireland does that count? Well next is the T20 competion and ive always considered myself to be a T20 player but Im dreading it purely because of my team.

88613.1.jpg

Kyle Tudge on debut.​

Glamorgan Vs Gloucestershire
T20 Debut

I always considered myself a T20 player, batting and bowling so I hoped I could get involved in both parts today but with Powell and Elliot superbly opening the batting as we were on 45/0 (4 overs) things were looking incredibly good. We continued at a good rate when we got to 60 off 6 overs but Powell was bowled by Ireland and Maher fell second ball. We didn?t let it put us down as we carried on at a great rate before Hemp got out. 131/3 off 15 overs. Some brilliant late hitting from Croft, Peng and Elliot took us to 181/4 off the full 20 overs. I was chuffed it meant that I had a lot of runs to play with.

Davies and Jones both bowled out but they went at 6.5 an over and 12.5 an over but they took three wickets overall so we were still in the drivers seat. I think I then pushed them into the boot of the car though as with my fourth ball I took a wicket as I got Alex Gidman to edge the ball to first and only slip and to cap it over my over went for five. David Brown couldn?t handle me either as he edges me to third man then two balls later he turned round to see his middle stump on the floor, I was on form! Mark Hardinges didn?t last long either as I bowled his middle stump with an almost identical ball. My next over ruined my figures as it went for fourteen, I couldn?t get the ball in the right areas. But with the first ball of my first over I sent Adshead back to the pavilion as I hit him infront of middle and off.
lbw1.jpg
I wasn?t going to stop there, I had four balls to cap of another five wicket haul. I forced Noffke to play and miss twice in the over but he dug out my yorker in the last ball and that was the over. Part time bowler Peng finished them off as we confirmed an easy victory.

Gunna carry this on despite no feedback so y'no much appreciation to any comments, cheers guys :).

Two matches in one post now, T20 extravaganza ;)

And sorry for the short matches, fulll on at school atm and if i stop posting on this for a while ill totally lose interest.

Warwickshire vs Glamorgan

I opened the bowling with Jones and I probably bowled the best spell of my life! The batsman just struggled to lay a bat on me as I bowled a tight line outside off stump. I ended up bowling four overs for eleven runs in a T20 match! Brilliant bowling from the others to back me up and they were reduced to 116-5.

We batted at a rate of six an over for most of the innings with no significant scores but at a quick enough rate so we could keep Warwickshire out the game. Needing 18 from 24 with 6 wickets remaining seemed an easy enough job as Croft and Maher got it to 116/4 with six remaining but it took four balls to get it as Maher got out in the last over but Bragg hit the final run off his first ball and our T20 team was coming along a treat.

Somerset Vs Glamorgan

I was back for the game against Somerset and we were bowling first with me and S Jones opening the bowling. My first over was expensive but with Jones taking a wicket at the other end I then bowled Marcus Trescothick (my biggest wicket yet) and then only three balls later adding Durston to my ever-growing wicket list. Jones then got White and Blackwell out at one end and with my last over I took another wicket, this time it was Aaron Laramans wicket. Me and Jones had taken six wickets between us so Croft/Betts/Davies had a rather easy job between them. However we couldn’t ball them all out but we could reduce them to less than 100.

Needing 94 to win was never a hard target and Powell hitting 47* and two innings’ in the twenties from Elliot and Hemp it was accomplished easily and we confirmed an easy win. Oh and a first man of the match ;)

pa-8704624-917084.jpg

Powell all to confident against the poor bowling.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread