Windows 7 keeps freezing at the desktop

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Uninstall everything you've installed in the past but don't need/use anymore. They clog up your system and slow it.

Already done. Its half empty.

WTF? :eek:

Click Start, type msconfig, look at what all services you're running in at startup, and look for services which are not Windows based, and you don't use them anymore. Disable them.

Look at the Startup tab as well, and see what all programs you running.

Have you been changing AV's too in the past?

Nothing bad that eats memory run on it.

It might be due to network connections.. Disconnect any network drives, and if you have something like hamachi installed, disable it and try.

Nah no outside access like Hamachi etc.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
"Windows is shutting down" blue screen

I have read about editing some registry values and will try it. I cannot uninstall it as I have some important data and programs which cannot be reinstalled as I no longer have installer for them. Its the reason why I upgraded it rather than clean install.

P

pcfan123

Did not want to make a new thread for this so I'll ask my question here (sorry Steve)

I have a desktop that has an expired version of Windows 7 trial on it. Anyhow, the computer likes to restart itself every 30 minutes approx. The CPU makes this weird sound (creaking) and my computer restarts.

Now is this because of the expired windows 7? or is it a hardware issue? I want to buy a new version of Windows, but not if this is a hardware issue. Id rather not have to deal with this computer in that case.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Does anyone know how to speed up shut down process, my laptop takes 20 minutes to shut down :laugh

Windows 7 ultimate, laptop in my sign

Just hold the power button of laptop for 5 second.;) There you go, shutdown in seconds:p

AngryPixel added 5 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Did not want to make a new thread for this so I'll ask my question here (sorry Steve)

I have a desktop that has an expired version of Windows 7 trial on it. Anyhow, the computer likes to restart itself every 30 minutes approx. The CPU makes this weird sound (creaking) and my computer restarts.

Now is this because of the expired windows 7? or is it a hardware issue? I want to buy a new version of Windows, but not if this is a hardware issue. Id rather not have to deal with this computer in that case.

I think ou have a RC version of windows 7. If that so then windows is the culprit not your hardware. Read this
Last week the news made the rounds of the Windows 7 RC having a longer than average trial period. Stated clearly by Microsoft is that the Release Candidate install will remain valid until June 1, 2010.

What wasn’t so clearly publicized is the small detail that starting March 1, 2010 there will be bihourly shut downs of any installs of Windows 7 RC.

As Microsoft details on its partner site regarding the shutdown schedules for the beta and RC:

To avoid interruption, it’s recommended that you and your customers rebuild test machines by using a valid Windows operating system before Windows 7 Beta and Windows 7 RC expire. Windows will automatically notify you that the expiration process is about to begin. Two weeks later, your PC will shut down every two hours. For Windows 7 Beta, the bihourly shutdowns will begin July 1, 2009. The software will expire August 1, 2009. For Windows 7 RC, the bihourly shutdowns will begin March 1, 2010. The software will expire June 1, 2010.

So there you have it. While Windows 7 RC will be useful for 13 months as we all thought last week, it’ll be more useful for the first 10 months.

If there’s any confusion regarding what bihourly means – if it’ll be shutdowns every 30 minutes or 2 hours – it’s the longer of the two options, though probably still annoying enough to make one want to upgrade to the final version.

Windows 7 RC is set for a public launch tomorrow. Look forward to it! (Unless you’ve already downloaded it.)

Source

P

pcfan123

Sweet so its not my PC!

I shall be buying XP as soon as possible now.

Another noob question, how do I tell which version of XP to buy, 32 bit or 64

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
I dont think Microsoft Manufacturs Windows XP anymore. They were phasing them out for Windows 7.. Why are you not getting windows 7. It is nice OS.:yes

AngryPixel added 2 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Here is a little tool which would help you determine if your pc supports 64 bit OS or not GRC|SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features|

AngryPixel added 2 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

If you can find a legit version then 64 bit Windows XP SP3 FTW. (thats my opinion if you don't want Windows 7)

P

pcfan123

I can easily get a legit copy of XP from my University's computer store. I can still buy at student prices as well so its $35. Just need to find out if I should get 32 or 64

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
If your pc supports 64 bit then get it. check using the tool i listed above

P

pcfan123

vtuxe.png

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Go ahead with the 64 bit version. Harware vitualization is required for installing some virtual os inside another os. I doubt you would be doing that;)

AngryPixel added 4 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

Well i can give a fair assesment on whether you should buy windows 7 or windows xp only if i know your hardware well.

Do this:
1)Press Window key + r. A small window would pop up.
2)Write "dxdiag" in it and hit Enter.
3)Another window would open asking yes or no. Select no.(In some pc's computer wont ask anything go straight to next option)
4)After a few seconds Direct X diagnostic tool would open displaying all the hardware info of your pc.
Take a screenshot of it and paste it here.

AngryPixel added 3 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

If you really don't care bout looks of window and want best performance from windows 7. Then just right click on Computer. Select Properties. Then select Advance System Settings. There click on settings uder performance tab. Then select "Adjust for best performance and click ok. Feel the diferent in speed yourself;)

Users who are viewing this thread