Winners and Losers

Manly

Thor
As the season draws to a close, it seemed apt to take a look at the season gone by, picking out highlights, lowlights, overachievers and underachievers.

TeamWinners

Manchester United - I know this will be an unpopular choice for many, however, to leave them out would be a huge oversight on my part. To be fighting for an unprecedented 5 trophies in one year is an incredible effort, carried in the Premier League no doubt, by the amazing clean-sheet streak the defence had going.

Stoke City - Stoke came up to the Premiership this season and were heavily backed to drop straight back down to the Championship, finishing bottom of the league. This has not been the case, and with the monster throw-ins from Rory Delap, contributing 9 assists, including 2 in the 2-1 victory over Arsenal.

Cardiff City - A new stadium in the offing, The Bluebirds currently sit in 5th place, and seem likely to secure a Play-off berth in the next two games or so. They unearthed a fantastic prospect in Ross McCormack, who has contributed 13 goals in 18 appearances. Joe Ledley will almost certainly leave in the Summer if they don't get promoted, and I would suggest that the team need no greater motivation than that.

Swansea City - The other Championship side from Wales have made the Liberty Stadium somewhat of a fortress, winning 36 out of a possible 60 points at home thus far. Jason Scotland is currently second in the scoring charts, and he will be in demand come the summer.

Leicester City - Relegated from the Championship in 07/08, the Foxes were tipped to struggle to bounce back. However, goals aplenty, and a solid defence have left them sitting pretty at the top of League 1.

Peterborough United - I know it seems I have just picked the top two sides, but Posh have flourished this season, under the watchful eye of Darren Ferguson, and in the month of March, won all 6 of their fixtures. If that is not promotion form I don't know what is to be honest! Craig Mackail-Smith and Aaron McLean have scored 38 league goals between them, and a team that struggled in the lower leagues in recent memory may just be about to break into the second tier.

Luton Town - Hats off to poor old Luton, starting the season on -30 points, they have fought manfully back up to 22 (52) points, and indeed won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at Wembley.

Kettering Town - Promoted to the Blue Square Premier from the Blue Square North, Kettering have been there or thereabouts for the most part of the season, and only 8 points off of a Play-Off place, it seems that with Gareth Seddon leading the line, Kettering can push on for promotion to League Two.

More to follow at my blog, Thoughts on all sports
Including, Team losers, Individual over-achievers, and individual under-performers.

Users who are viewing this thread