World Cup 2007 - Preview thread

who do you think is going to win the world cup in 2007?

• Australia

Votes: 44 22.0%
  • Bangladesh

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • England

Votes: 35 17.5%
  • India

Votes: 49 24.5%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • West Indies

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Zimbabwe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Scotland/Bermuda/Ireland/Canada/Netherlands/Kenya)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
ZoraxDoom said:
Yea, they should have gone with Dave Mohammed. But still a good squad.
Now all the squads have been announced I believe? All look rather good and capable of winning on their day. Should make for a rather good World Cup...

Nah not yet, South Africe are still yet to name their squad. I'm guessing it will be the team that played Pakistan along with Nel, Bosman etc.

Pollard looks promising and it will be very interesting to see how he plays.

A right-handed allrounder - he bats in the middle order and bowls medium-pace - Kieron Pollard, who represented West Indies in the 2006 Under-19 World Cup, hit the national headlines when he smashed 83 for Trinidad and Tobago in the Stanford 20/20 in August 2006, and then underlined that potential with 126 on his first-class debut five months later. It was not only that he scored a hundred so much as the way he did so, taking 71 balls and smashing six sixes, including one of them as his first scoring stroke.

Nine days later he was named in the provisional 30-man squad for the World Cup, and in his third first-class game he scored a second hundred, again including six sixes. He is a real prospect for the future, and although the World Cup may have come too so for him, he is sure to become a feature of the side in the near future

Interesting...

i have no idea why they keep sticking with dwayne smith
his batting is not worth mentioning

if they are playing him for his bowling surely they have someone better than him

dent know how ready Sarwan will be, its been a while since he played a ODI but i hope that he comes back in good form because the windies will need him to score some runs in the middle order. Gayle and Samuels are gona have to play a key part as the 2 spinners in the squad and Lara certainly does like to have his options of pace bowling got like 4-5 of them. and this Pollard youngster looks like a good one for the future.

aussie1st said:
When I looked at Pollard profile it showed him in smashing a ball.

Lee is 50/50 to make the WC, going to be a huge blow if we lose him as Clark would have to come in :( Wish it was Hilfy.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21236244-23212,00.html
What????? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Damn it to hell, Lee better be fit. Clark could be the difference between us winning or losing the world cup.

Lee is such a quality bowler they should take him even if he is unfit for the first two matches. Especially since the real deal starts from the 3rd group match (against South Africa) and onworth.

Article doesn't really say anything about a possible game which he could make. Probably will know in a few more days. Problem for us is we are already carrying 2 players that won't play in the first few games.

siddharth2002 said:
Well English won, didn't they!!

yep which is a miracle i believe becos there was no Vaughan,Tresco and more importantly, key player KP was missing! So it all depends on attitude/mind stength before getting into the field which is bit weak among India!

India need to win atleast for Tendulkar as i guess it wud be his last world cup. But tough competetion exists. Windies,SA and Kiwis are always competetive. Aussies have mental advantage of winning back to back WC titles and also they recently won CT title as well. So loss in CWB series shd be negligible i believe. But this win for England shd have definetly boosted England's confidence where some people at some stage thought that even Bangla are better than England.

So tough tough tough contest ahead for India but still, anything is possible in cricket especially in ODIs :)

Even though Lee has been average at best this summer he is still one of our most important cogs, and we look pretty lost without him actually. Looks like Clark may be playing in the Caribbean after all, he really is the only option as cover for Lee, the other would be Hilfenhaus as Slyvester stated but that would be a very risky move from traditionally conservative selectors.

genghis_khan said:
Even though Lee has been average at best this summer he is still one of our most important cogs, and we look pretty lost without him actually. Looks like Clark may be playing in the Caribbean after all, he really is the only option as cover for Lee, the other would be Hilfenhaus as Slyvester stated but that would be a very risky move from traditionally conservative selectors.

Yep they are far too conservative, I was actually surprised they took Tait to the WC. What our selectors need to think about is the variation factor, Clark will just be yet another hit the pitch bowler which we have a lot of already. If Lee is out we need either an express man or a swing bowler.

Users who are viewing this thread