You only sing when your winning?

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
There was a comment on here a while back alleging that England fans disappear when they lose and that aussies had stayed up all night even when the series was here and they lost 3-0

Well I just noticed the various replies to posts down the forum and the evidence is scant to suggest there is much more activity when England are winning than when they are losing.

Ashes posts by Test thread, including result

in England

1st Test : 449 posts, very close contest, Broad controversy, England won
2nd Test : 139 posts, England won by a big margin
3rd Test : 188 posts, aussies on top in a draw, Ashes retained
4th Test : 186 posts, England won, Ashes won
5th Test : 166 posts, aussies on top but declare, England nearly snatch win

in Australia

1st Test : 167 posts, aussies won by massive margin
2nd Test : 163 posts, aussies won by big margin
3rd Test : 211 posts, aussies won handsomely, Ashes won

So understandable that the 1st Test of the back to back series should have most posts, that and the controversy with Broad not walking was bound to make that one about two threads long with the impact on the Test, series etc

The latest Test was bound to contain a post mortem and discussion of where England go from here, so asides that it shows little evidence to support claims of more posting by either side unless someone really wants to count aussie and England supporters.

So do you think fans disappear when results are going badly? It's understandable if people choose sleep over watching their side losing, the only time I've really noticed any less posting activity is from Indians :D

----------

Oh and re the Broad controversy and whether it impacted the series, Broad was 37no when he edged it and didn't walk, supporting Bell on 77no, and England were 297/6.

Broad added 28 more runs and the pair a further 59 runs before Broad was out for a second time - England added only 19 more runs once Broad was out. England won by a mere 14 runs, although I know most will then cite Agar and the stumping controversy, but that was somewhat different as you couldn't expect Agar to know if he was out or not whereas Broad clearly did.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I think we probably post less if we're watching the game through the night. If I'm watching during the day I tend to post as I go along.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
i haven't been able to watch half as much of this series as series past, but that's mostly to do with work/circumstance, not us losing.

i managed to watch loads of 2010/11 when obviously we were winning handsomely, but equally i watched loads of 03/04 and 06/07 when we were getting smashed! however, i have to say this seems to be the worst as up to the stokes innings we didn't really have a single positive from the series.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
i haven't been able to watch half as much of this series as series past, but that's mostly to do with work/circumstance, not us losing.

i managed to watch loads of 2010/11 when obviously we were winning handsomely, but equally i watched loads of 03/04 and 06/07 when we were getting smashed! however, i have to say this seems to be the worst as up to the stokes innings we didn't really have a single positive from the series.

It was 02/03. In 03/04 we were in Sri Lanka before heading to the West Indies.

This tour to me does seem to be worse than 06/07. But this won't be 5-0.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
I think it was a massive waste of time for you to look this up.

it's clearly one of those silly, lazy, cliches people trot out in the name of inane "banter"

people like complaining and criticising things too, it's kind of like solving a puzzle trying to figure out what went wrong. people like to gloat when they win.

some people will only talk when they win, some will talk more when losing.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
See, this is what happens when people have too much spare time.

On topic though, I watched the start of the first couple of Tests and tried to post about it, but there didn't seem to be anyone else posting. I mean, I can have a conversation with myself without having to type it out. We're all going to post more when there are more users contributing, as it just gets turned into an elongated, pointless rant at each other when there are only two people discussing something.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I found I was half awake trying to watch as much of it as I can. Summoning the energy to also post and comment at 3am is somewhat tricky.

I did some research of my own. Turns out 94% of Owzats posts contain statistics. I like to think he also statistically grades each meal, sexual encounter, and shit. These are then chronicalled in a special room in his house dedicated to the cause. Sort of like Wisden.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
The statistically highest scoring occasion was when all three were accidentally combined after he'd had a few too many beers.

Users who are viewing this thread