Zimbabwe Domestic Cricket

I see a few of the players are plying their trade in the Bangladeshi league which is good for them considering the up coming tour of Bangladesh next year.

Yeah there has been some good performances so far from them. Taylor scored a century the other day, and Williams has even been getting wickets. :)

----------

Ncube has left as well. deciding to coach at a South African primary school, instead of playing for the Tuskers. :(

If the domestic season doesn't go ahead altogether then is possible that Zimbabwe could lose their Test status?

If we don't have a first class competition, we lose our Test status. The ICC are currently visiting Zimbabwe, due to people from Zimbabwe Cricket travelling to Dubai looking for support to get the domestic season up and running.

They shouldn't give them a cent, unless the ICC controls where the funds go; otherwise it will disappear into crooks pockets, before it begins to pay for the competition to start. :/

The domestic competition has been delayed again until sometime in december. It's looking increasingly less likely that we'll have a proper season this year. :/

Well that's disappointing to hear. Any more news on the ICC visit?

The domestic competition starts December 7. It's going ahead without funding, so it looks like they didn't get any money off the ICC.

Will list all the franchise squads on the first post when they are announced. Just got the Eagles so far. :)

That's great news :)

Look forward to the squads being announced.

Swirler any more news on the squads for the upcoming season (as it starts next week). Been searching on the net and I can't find anything. All I do know is that several players have either gone to play in Australia or are just not bothering due to financial issues.

I've heard basically nothing so far concerning squads, and haven't got anything from my normal sources. We might not hear anything until the start of the season. :(

Who are the seven players? I know that Chris Mpofu & Regis Chakabva are interested in playing over in Australia. Chakabva is still in Zimbabwe though, he scored a 80 in a match in the Harare league recently.

I know Stuart Matsikenyeri has decided not to play this year. Not sure what he'll be doing instead though. Also I don't think Calum Price is returning from England to play this season.

It sounds like Querl, Coventry & Meth might be available to play in January, and Nathan Waller should be back around that time as well; he's currently in Australia I think. :)

There's a big question mark over Cremer, I doubt he's been paid any money yet, so he might not be interested in playing for the Rhinos.

----------

Craig Ervine is the other player, doesn't look like he'll be returning for this domestic season. :(

There's a big question mark over Cremer, I doubt he's been paid any money yet, so he might not be interested in playing for the Rhinos.

I've read that he may have retired? Big loss for Zimbabwe if true, always rated him as a decent all rounder.

I've read that he may have retired? Big loss for Zimbabwe if true, always rated him as a decent all rounder.

It looks like both Cremer & Meth have retired from cricket. Both big losses. We've lost our two best spinners in less than a year. Mushangwe & Mutombodzi will need to develop a lot quicker now. We still have Utseya, but he mainly does a holding role. :/

----------

Some information about the Rhinos:

MID WEST Rhinos chief executive Kenyon Ziehl says investing in youth is the way to go as the Kwekwe-based side look to introduce new blood in the cricket season set to begin next week. Rhinos will not be turning to their overseas professionals in the coming year, besides the prospects of luring Riki Wessels back for a brief spell.

Ziehl yesterday told The Herald that the Midlands side set their sights on their development structures with 18-year olds Carl Mumba and Mkhululi Nyathi set to be promoted.

Rhinos are also looking at bringing on board promising batsman Kudakwashe Munyede from Mashonaland Eagles while 21-year old wicketkeeper Nyasha Mayavo, who made few appearances last season, is likely to play a bigger role.

"It's nice to see the youngsters coming through because they need this exposure. They have played for the Zimbabwe Under-19 team and they need to be exposed to first class cricket in order for them to develop quickly.

"Look at the other guys like Richard Muzhange and Neville Madziva who came through the structures. These guys are doing okay and we hope to see more of that.

"We also have some youngsters coming from the local community and we aim to give them the platform to play. Rhinos has a thrust for development as well," said Ziehl.

The Kwekwe-based outfit have also roped in batsman Mark Mbofana from Eagles as they try to strengthen their squad after retaining most of their players from last season.

Captain Brendan Taylor and top order batsman Vusi Sibanda are expected to steer the ship again this year with their experience.

Grant Flower will continue as the head coach as the side battles for a silverware to show for their efforts as they have come close in the past only to fall at the last hurdle.

Rhinos lost all-rounder Graeme Cremer, who has hinted on retirement, while fast bowlers Edward Rainsford and Richard Muzhange might not be available on full-time basis.

They will start their season with an away fixture against Mashonaland Eagles at Harare Sports Club on December 7 in the Pro50 competition, with the Logan Cup match against the same opponents expected two days later.

"We are really excited by the starting of the new season. We haven't really engaged overseas professionals. We are going to try and keep the local players.

"The team has been in serious preparations for about three weeks now. We lost one or two players but we managed to replace them and now we have got all our players contracted.

"There is likely to be no foreign players but we are hoping to engage Riki Wessels for a couple of Pro50 and Logan Cup matches before he goes to play in the UK.

"We are not sure about the dates he might be available but it's most probably end of January or early February.

"We are targeting some silverware in the cabinet and hopefully we will achieve that. It's disappointing that we always play well and on most occasions come close to the title but at the end miss it," said Ziehl.

Looks like the Rhinos squad will be:

Mid West Rhinos:

Bothwell Chapungu, Peter Moor, Vusi Sibanda, Brendan Taylor, Steven Trenchard, Malcolm Waller, Nyasha Mayavo, Mark Mbofana, Carl Mumba, Michael Chinouya, Neville Madziva, Richard Muzhange, Mluleki Nkala, Mkhululi Nyathi, Ed Rainsford, Simon Mugava, Kudakwashe Munyede

From Zimbabwe Cricket Forums

Franchise Season Preview:

Tinashe Kusema and Jeffrey Murimbechi
A degree of normalcy is set to descend on the Zimbabwe cricket landscape, as the country?s premier franchise league finally kicks off this Saturday, starting with the Pro 50 Championship.

Two lukewarm ties have been lined up for the opening round of fixtures with Mashonaland Eagles set to host the Midwest Rhinos while Matabeleland Tuskers travel to Kwekwe for a clash against the Midwest Rhinos.

Both matches will be played this Saturday for the Pro 50 Championship at Harare Sports Club and Kwekwe Sports Club respectively.

The teams will then square off again in the four-day Logan Cup from 9-12 December.
After a lengthy three-month delay, ZC is alleged to have finally secured relief funds believed to have come out on the backdrop of their impromptu meeting with an ICC delegation that was alleged to have been in the country about a fortnight ago.

However, if the opening set of fixtures are anything to go by then one can expect more drama than entertainment, as the off-season transfers are expected to set the tone from the onset.

Among the many attractions of the opening round is the return of Mash Eagles stalwart Mark Vermeulen, the fate of players like Chamu Chibhabha, Sikander Raza Butt, Foster Mutizwa and Brian Vitori.

Movement by any of these players could see a paradigm shift in the cricket landscape.
Tuskers? claim to the longer version of the game could face its sternest test, this after the three- time champions seem to have been the hardest hit by a mass exodus that characterised this year?s transfers, only to be later compounded by the delay.

A large chunk of the team?s core have either left or continue to refuse to commit, chief among them are the likes of Christopher Mpofu, who has been offered a play-as-you-earn contract, while the likes of Charles Coventry, Keegan Meth, Craig Ervine and Glen Querl have have since left.

Skipper Gavin Ewing has relinquished his captaincy and will only take part in the shorter version of the game.

The five players were an integral part of Tuskers? three championship seasons, with Mpofu, Meth and Querl doing damage with the ball while Ewing, Coventry and Ervine led with the bat.

Another champion will be up against them, as Mashonaland Eagles have set targets of retaining their Pro50 title while improving in the Logan Cup.

?We are pretty excited about our prospects this time around, and chief on our priority list will be improving our longer version form while we target the Pro 50 Championship yet again.

?We last won the Logan Cup back in 2009 but our form in that format has since gone downhill from there. Last year we anchored the Log Cup table and it was a blemish in an otherwise good season in which we finished the Twenty20 league undefeated and also went on to win the Pro50 Championship.

?So it?s pretty easy to set goals and in that regard the Pro50 Championship will be a top priority, this and a better showing in Logan Cup which is the business -of the day,? said chief executive Vimbai Mapukute.

However, just like Tuskers, Eagles? run up to the opener has not been with hiccups as they faced an exodus of their own.

On their way out are the trio of Chamu Chibhabha, Innocent Chinyoka and seasoned veteran Foster Mutizwa.

Mutizwa and Chinyoka have rumored to be headed to Mountaineers while Chibhabha?s fate, while yet confirmed, is also alleged to be headed to Tuskers.

?I can indeed confirm, more or less, that Mutizwa and Chinyoka will not be in our books as they appeared unhappy with the contracts we offered them and I have since heard that they have signed or are in midst of signing for Mountaineers.

?I am yet to hear of the Chibhabha fate but odds are we may have also lost him,? she said.
However, the Harare Metropolitan-based franchise do indeed have a reason to smile, this after they managed to acquire the services of Vermeulen and Brian Vitori who have since signed on the dotted line.

This is on top of Sikander Raza Butt finally committing to the club.
No season is complete without a say from the perennial under-dogs Midwest Rhinos, as they venture yet again into a promising season during which they hope to finally break their duck in terms of championships.

Chief executive Kenyon Zeihl could just be the happiest man amongst his colleagues as Rhinos seem to have been unfazed by the pre-season movements.

?We have retained the core of our team in Vusumuzi Sibanda, Brendan Taylor, Edward Rainsford and Malcolm Waller and this will be strengthen by a couple of upcoming and rookie players we intend to introduce during the course of the season.

?We have identified a few players from the surrounding Kwekwe, Chegutu and Kadoma suburbs and introducing them into franchise cricket will be top priority.

?This is not to say that we do not want a trophy for that will always be a goal. Our aim this time is in the shorter version of the game, chiefly the Pro 50 Championship,? he said.

----------

Chinyoka, Mutizwa, Vitori & Chibhabha possibly moving franchises.

Users who are viewing this thread