Your Cricket Zorax's Tennis Ball Cricketing Exploits/Bowling Practice Diary Like Thread Thingy

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Easier said than done :p

Cricket got cancelled on Saturday :( Got the see The Dark Night instead :cool:

I may go tommorrow though, so lets see...

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Had cricket today, sorta...

Got a school friend to come along today, so before the match we did some bowling practice.
I bowled to him first, bowled some nice stuff. But he is a pretty good batsman, short fella so played me off the backfoot a little to negotiate the high bounce. But apart from a slightly wayward googly (Too wide of offstump) I bowled okay for like 12-15 balls to him, good line and length.
He then bowled a bit to me. I batted alright, a failed attempt at the switch hit, but I nailed it the second time around!

Then we waited for everyone to come. And as it turned out, only 6 others came, making 8. That's the bare minimum, but in the summer sun we weren't willing to play out in the heat with just 3 fielders, so we played behind the building instead.

And it was kinda crap. Stupid rules, lots of bickering between the players, very hot and not real fun. Had to apologise quite a bit to my friend for that! Hopefully next time I call him over we get to play properly with more kids in the open area instead of with the few annoying ones back there.

It was 6:30 when we stopped, and I could have done some more bowling practice, but all I really wanted to do at the moment was take a shower. I'm feeling a bit bad about skipping out on the chance for some bowling practice now, gonna make sure I do it the next time.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Cricket today...kinda

Only 4 people, so we played some idividual cricket in a small area :p I won 3 out of 6 or 7 competitions, not bad. Best bowler and scored the highest score (17, in the final game).

Before that I did some bowling practice. I was a bit worried about my bowling (Aren't I always?) and that I really didn't control my flight or spin at all, bowling the same pace everytime. I wanted to work on that, so developed a new grip to try out. A regular legbreak would be held with my middle and index finger side by side on the seam, and thew knuckle of my ring finger along the seam as well. Thumb not touching, little finger on the ring finger. Same grip used for topspinner and googly. This different grip had my thumb, index finger, and knuck of the middle finger on the seam, ball deeper in my palm. I tried it a few times, before and after the match, with mixed results. Some spun in, some spun away. Few didn't bounce much at all. General impression was that it did travel slower than my other deliveries, but more practice is needed.

My legbreaks were very nice, accuate 5 times out of 6. Although I followed through on some, and just stood after bowling some. I guess that might be a way of varying pace and flight? My wrong uns struggled a bit, flying down leg a few times before I got it okay. My topspinners ket getting nice drift, but were pitching a bit wide of offstump. But nothing too horrid overall, got some nice practice in. Bowling is steadly improving. Didn't do any work on my backspinner though.

At the moment, I can bowl these:

Legbreak
Googly
Topspinner

consistantly enough. Not neccesarily accurately, but they mostly come out the way I want them too. My Second Leg Break as I'll be calling it needs some work, and I am interested in investigating the Triangle Grip mentioned by KBC. If I get those two going alright, that will give me 5 deliveries to work with. Whoop! Not to mention the backspinner, which would be wicked. But I really need to learn to master them all, that could take some time. Not much time left in the holidays, about 3 weeks, so atleast 3 more practice sessions till school and possibly coaching. Better make the best of them!!

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Had cricket on saturday

Started with some bowling practice. Did alright, bowled okay but not grea. Only bowled the legbreak, took a while to get into the groove.

Then the match. We bowled first. I bowled two overs of spin/mediumish for 15 runs and a wicket. Bowled with a jump this time, and it worked.
Chasing about 67 to win, we started very slow. I came in with 45 needed in 5. Whacked a four, pushed a single which became three thanks to overthrows, and it came down to 33 in 4. Then I got a ball on the offstump, went to cut, it spun in, tried to leave it but it still hit my hand and went to the keeper. That sucked, I felt like I was batting well. We went on to win though, no real problem.

More bowling after that. Really out of it early on, but then got back on track. But I just couldn't land my googly right! So many times it ended put flying down the legside, and spinning like a legbreak! I believe I wasn't getting my wrist right or something. I really wanted to keep practicing more as I was all over the place, and didn't get to the triangle grip or tospinner, but it was dark and I had to go.

Can't wait till I get to go down again...

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I'll need to record myself first. And I really don't want myself all over youtube to be frank.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I will have to point out that the guy in the video is me, and then you all will post comments and such and the secret identity would be revealed! :p

Users who are viewing this thread