England's tour of India (Nov '16/Feb '17)

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Saw Jadahv for the first time in the final over against England. The guy is looking splash with serious technical flaws, but if he is doing well for them then its fine but it was a thrown away match at the end, You should have won the game when you just require 6 on 3 balls.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@grkrama Welcome back to the discussion after a deep hibernation in DBC17 :p.

WTH, I added Ash as a boonus in my FC team, :( @zwarrior please delete my team I'll have to enter a new one.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Why should he be dropped? He won us that last game (and the series) with 3 prized wickets of Root, Stokes and Buttler. Ashwin has to be retained and needs to be our frontline spinner in ODI's for quite sometime. For some who crib about the way Ashwin talks, Ashwin has a much calmer mouth than our captain, Kohli. Kohli shoots off his mouth and its funny that in a team captained by him, a guy like Ashwin is criticized for talking.:facepalm

He won us the last game? Wow! You must have not seen India bat then. Chasing 350 and 380 is two different cricket matches. When the heat was on in the 1st and 3rd game, he was going the journey and he basically wets his pants when there is a renowned hard hitting batsman that he has to bowl to. In the second game he came on when Jadeja had already dropped anchor on the scoring rate and India were clearly ahead of the game at every given point. Can you tell me the number of right handed batters he's picked up in the last 5 games?

Let's just say that in the last two years, Ashwin averages above 60 in the ODI's and he goes at 7's. He is easily the worst fielder in the side and he cannot score quickly like a lot of other chaps from other countries at 8/9. More than any statistic for me, India have not been picking wickets in the middle overs for a while now. SA, Bangladesh and then the WT20. NZ he didn't play. The World T20 saw a rank turner in Nagpur against NZ and their spinners out-bowled ours including the 'cricketer of the year.' His only noteworthy performance in LOI has come in the WT20 against Bangladesh and he was quite average in the IPL as well.

Coming to the 'talk.' I'm as useless an opinion as any cricket fan in the country. It doesn't matter how who behaves, it's down to personal likes/dislikes. I'm not denying that VK isn't arrogant, but he's lesser arrogant than Ashwin in my head (I might be wrong) but factually speaking, Kohli walks the talk. There's not a cricketer alive who is a bigger asset than him and he has more talent in his tow nail than ten Ashwin's put together in limited overs. I'm critical of Ashwin's bowling more than anything else. His personality is a by product of my dislike for him.

And @those saying that Dhawan should be picked because of his last CT heroics? Well, let's recall Sehwag and make him open since he also had a prolific CT back in the 2000's. I won't be surprised if he outscores that moron. Guarantee you, he won't laugh after getting out or being dropped.

EDIT @SaiSrini - I also just read your post about the openers. I think it will be outright injustice if Rahul isn't played alongside Rohit in the XI. He's the most improved batsman in the world circuit and I think he can play that 'attacking' role to compliment R Sharma. What's invaluable is his deputy WK ability (In ICC tournaments you can't sub a player or call for reinforcements from home unless they're out of the competition. Having Rahul means you need not take a back up keeper and pick a bowler or batsman. I think even Jadhav can keep though), as well as the fact that he can play the new ball if it's decking around. 2 new balls, England, CT and a WC? I'd love to have someone who has some sort of technique. In my opinion, Dhawan should be shoved to the bottom of the pile. People like Uthappa, Pant, Vohra and most notably Vijay have been ignored for way too long. Also, I have immense respect for Rahane but he simply doesn't have the 'oomph' required by an ODI cricketer at the top of the order. If he and R Sharma are going to 'have a look in' for the first ten overs then every time our openers get out early, we are putting the middle and middle-lower order under pressure. I'd start with R Sharma and Rahul with Vijay as back up.

Last edited:

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Saw Jadahv for the first time in the final over against England. The guy is looking splash with serious technical flaws, but if he is doing well for them then its fine but it was a thrown away match at the end, You should have won the game when you just require 6 on 3 balls.
6 off 3 balls is hard to do when you are facing a bowler who bowls well in the death. The guy did good but he is still inexperienced so I think you are a bit unfair to Jadhav. He had to score six runs when 8 down and he was under pressure. Remember when Pakistan had to get 2 in 6 balls? They lost that game. 6 off 3 is more difficult than you think.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
@kushal17 - Yes I did not watch the entire game, but Ashwin picked up 3 huge wickets (Root, Buttler and Stokes). As I mentioned before, even one of them would have bulldozed the match to victory for England. Ashwin has mostly had stop-start flows in LOI's recently. Before this series, I dont even remember when he last played. A lot of times, he is rested after test series or we don't have much LOI's. I dont think Ashwin has properly played LOI's with any semblance of a flow after Kohli took over as test captain. To me, Ashwin deserves a proper chance in ODI's and a decent flow to gain momentum. He was given that in test cricket and he has started flourishing there. Its time he gets it in ODI's too. Maybe his slow moving nature on the field and his batting style can make a strong case for his exclusion in T20's now, but he should certainly play ODI's consistently in the next few years for India.

Also about his personality, maybe you find him arrogant because of the stereotypical thought process of a South Indian 'not talking much and keeping to himself'. Ashwin is not that, of course. Ashwin talks, but I have rarely seen him shoot off his mouth, like how Kohli does many times. I probably guess the part of India Ashwin comes from and the kind of players that part of India produces, is likely influencing your opinion (I maybe wrong, but just my hunch).

B

Bigby Wolf

So Parvez Rasool getting chance in t20s for good performance in Ranji trophy.
For what i have seen of him he is a classical off spinner and more suited to longer format but with Ashwin and Jayant yadav in the mix it is unlikely that he will get chance in the tests.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
6 off 3 balls is hard to do when you are facing a bowler who bowls well in the death. The guy did good but he is still inexperienced so I think you are a bit unfair to Jadhav. He had to score six runs when 8 down and he was under pressure. Remember when Pakistan had to get 2 in 6 balls? They lost that game. 6 off 3 is more difficult than you think.

Yeah I remembered that match, Moin did that and he was in pretty lackluster form in those days infact it was the twilight of his career, He had lost his magic already. I am not being unfair I just saw him bat and commented on the play style and technique, He looked quite splash though.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Yeah I remembered that match, Moin did that and he was in pretty lackluster form in those days infact it was the twilight of his career, He had lost his magic already. I am not being unfair I just saw him bat and commented on the play style and technique, He looked quite splash though.
Actually I was referring to the Pakistan Australia match in 2014 where Maxwell bowled that magic over.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
What am I seeing ? :D

16195700_1479153638782019_3361799549722368360_n.jpg

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
It was Mohammad Irfan who was on strike.
It was Sohail Tanvir for the first two balls. Sohail Tanvir is a very good hitter of ball when it comes. But scoring 2 runs surely is easy even when one speaks

Users who are viewing this thread