Don Bradman Cricket 17 First Impressions Thread

riteshagl

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Guys i am having stuttering issues post patch 3 on xbox one. Anyone having such issues. I have just played 2-3 hours of casual matches.

The game is much faster (though i preferred the pace post patch 2) and batting is quite difficult i feel. I have mostly batted and not bowled much. Thankfully cover drive is back. Straight drive against spinners is possible (bowler doesnt field it everytime). Backfoot shots are much better.

Also after patch 3, i find it very hard to hit the ball between cover and mid off (i.e. Extra cover), hit the ball between midwicket and mid on and my batsman keeps missing leg glances/flicks (this is really a major issue, i donno what i am doing wrong) even when timing feedback shows everything perfect.

Also, when trying to play the ball between midwicket and mid on (for right hand batsman, LS 12o clock and RS 10-11o clock), everytime the the ball is little outside off stump, the batsman plays a pull shot.

Late cut to spinners always results in wicketkeeper catching the ball. I have already reported this in bugs thread.

Also, i feel agressive grounded shots are not as fruitful as they were earlier, although i feel they were little overpowered.

Running between wickets is poor. The non striker is many a times slow to respond and when u cancel a run, the batsman takes ages to turn back resulting in unnecessary runouts. The batsman also needs to ground the bat little earlier. He almost does it after crossing the line.

Though i must say fielding by AI is better when it comes to stopping quick singles. They react faster and throw the ball quick as well. There are more direct hits as well. The keeper is quicker in dislodging bales in run out chances. Havent paid much attention to AI field placement.

Havent tried the career mode yet.

Change line up issue in casual match is solved as well.

However, the stuttering issue is really killing me. Can anyone help?

Edit: ok i have realised the stuttering is happening due to downloaded teams. It does not happen when playing with default squads in default stadium. I guess i have to delete everything. Too bad.

Edit 2: @cricket_online i am looking forward to your comments to what i have written

Edit 3: tried deleting data and downloaded few international teams but stuttering issue persists in downloaded teams. It does not happen in default teams. Its really annoying me.

Last edited:

SaurabhSteel

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Also adding to your point about leg side strokes I have been bowled a few times trying to play through mid wicket and square leg around the legs. This wasn't happening post Patch 2. This is definitely a major issue as it makes batting too tough to come to terms with specially because previously the leg side strokes were such life savers and effective.

riteshagl

County Cricketer
Also adding to your point about leg side strokes I have been bowled a few times trying to play through mid wicket and square leg around the legs. This wasn't happening post Patch 2. This is definitely a major issue as it makes batting too tough to come to terms with specially because previously the leg side strokes were such life savers and effective.

Totally agree. I am getting bowled too sometimes. This never happend before patch 3. Everything on timing feedback shows perfect. I am pretty sure this is a bug. The leg side stroke has become risky and not that effective now.

SaurabhSteel

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Yes it has severely restricted the choice of strokes and add to that the sharper fielding by AI fielders making life hell for the batsman.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Waiting for your impressions post patch 3 @cricket_online

I have only managed to bat for 2-3 hours (in casual matches) post patch 3 so I'm still trying to come to grips with the batting. Looks like I've to spend some more time as batting is different from before patch 3 and you have to re-learn which shots work and which don't. Here are my quick hit thoughts...

1. Cover seems to be the new Extra Cover in the sense the Cover drive now goes to the cover fielder instead of extra cover and I wasn't able to find a way to beat the cover fielder (either to the right or the left). If that's the case then we have exchanged extra cover drive present before patch 3 with a more conventional cover drive but the ball still seems to go to one place. I wasn't able to place the ball between Cover and mid off so extra cover drive has gone missing. I wasn't able to hit a drive through the Cover point either to beat the Cover fielder. Maybe I'm missing something and will confirm once I have put in more time batting.

2. Other thing which stood out was the glance/flick shot to the leg side. I was bowled behind my legs a number of times and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. The feedback system says my footwork, timing etc. are all 'Ideal' and yet my batman ends up way outside off and the ball ends up behind the batsman either bowling my batsman or going to the wkt keeper. I dropped down the difficulty level significantly but still having issues with inconsistent leg glance/flick shot. Too many misses for my liking and that "ball behind the leg" animation is getting on my nerves. Looks like the controls are way too sensitive for left stick and even a slight deviation ends up your batsman being way out of position. Or that the input needed for playing leg glance/flick needs to be so accurate that any deviation from that input results in a missed shot or "ball behind the leg" result. Either way more tolerance in to the leg glance/flick shot needs to be added IMO.

3. If you time the shot it rockets off the bat and if you don't the ball doesn't go with much pace. The contrast between a well timed and a slightly less timed shot is too stark.

4. You can hit to long on and long off against spinners as the spinner fielding off his bowling is toned down.

5. You still can't play late cut against spinners as wkt keeper will catch you more often than not.

6. The running between the wkts has regressed a bit and cancelling a run is iffy. Your batsman may take his own sweet time to get back and doesn't bother sliding the bat in the crease.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
I have only managed to bat for 2-3 hours (in casual matches) post patch 3 so I'm still trying to come to grips with the batting. Looks like I've to spend some more time as batting is different from before patch 3 and you have to re-learn which shots work and which don't. Here are my quick hit thoughts...

1. Cover seems to be the new Extra Cover in the sense the Cover drive now goes to the cover fielder instead of extra cover and I wasn't able to find a way to beat the cover fielder (either to the right or the left). If that's the case then we have exchanged extra cover drive present before patch 3 with a more conventional cover drive but the ball still seems to go to one place. I wasn't able to place the ball between Cover and mid off so extra cover drive has gone missing. I wasn't able to hit a drive through the Cover point either to beat the Cover fielder. Maybe I'm missing something and will confirm once I have put in more time batting.

2. Other thing which stood out was the glance/flick shot to the leg side. I was bowled behind my legs a number of times and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. The feedback system says my footwork, timing etc. are all 'Ideal' and yet my batman ends up way outside off and the ball ends up behind the batsman either bowling my batsman or going to the wkt keeper. I dropped down the difficulty level significantly but still having issues with inconsistent leg glance/flick shot. Too many misses for my liking and that "ball behind the leg" animation is getting on my nerves. Looks like the controls are way too sensitive for left stick and even a slight deviation ends up your batsman being way out of position. Or that the input needed for playing leg glance/flick needs to be so accurate that any deviation from that input results in a missed shot or "ball behind the leg" result. Either way more tolerance in to the leg glance/flick shot needs to be added IMO.

3. If you time the shot it rockets off the bat and if you don't the ball doesn't go with much pace. The contrast between a well timed and a slightly less timed shot is too stark.

4. You can hit to long on and long off against spinners as the spinner fielding off his bowling is toned down.

5. You still can't play late cut against spinners as wkt keeper will catch you more often than not.

6. The running between the wkts has regressed a bit and cancelling a run is iffy. Your batsman may take his own sweet time to get back and doesn't bother sliding the bat in the crease.

The points about extra cover drive gone missing and iffi legside play is quite disturbing. I hope it is only because you are getting used to controls post patch 3. Were you able to play a fine leg glance and Is that half cut/dab shot towards point fielder still there? It sucks that I will only be able to put some time in on weekend. My job is quite tough and got a family too.

SaurabhSteel

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
India

True about the running bit. I have been run out a couple of times bcos the batsman has not slide the bat into the crease or dived as they used to earlier with much more frequency. In all honesty I am still not sure if I should be happy or cross with this Patch. There are some good additions with stats and game situation overlays like projected scores and Required run rate etc. But batting has gone the other way in my opinion.

riteshagl

County Cricketer

What about hitting between mid on and mid wicket? The batsman either hits to midwicket or to mid on, does not hit between them. Are you facing this issue or probably i am doing something wrong. Before patch 3 i used to hit there pretty often.

Also, what about the pull shot animation when you try to hit to mid on? Are you facing this issue?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
What about hitting between mid on and mid wicket? The batsman either hits to midwicket or to mid on, does not hit between them. Are you facing this issue or probably i am doing something wrong. Before patch 3 i used to hit there pretty often.

Also, what about the pull shot animation when you try to hit to mid on? Are you facing this issue?

I haven't even tried playing the shot yet as I was focusing more on the off side drives and leg glance/flicks. The one shot I could nail with consistency was the late cut off good length deliveries (green) against pacers to Square Gully region. As I mentioned batting seems to be a lot different and I'm still trying to get used to it.

tonicfan

School Cricketer
The running was messed up prior to the patch... There is that delay which is annoying, the runner stands there like he's confused. He should be running right away. That problem still exists.

I think the fielding is overpowered. They seem overly fast.

Batting seems a bit more difficult now too, although I haven't batted with the best team yet.

Black caps 2017

School Cricketer
Graphically It looks like a ps2/ early ps3 game at best.

Stilll learning the gameplay but it is a bit clunky at times.

prasoonvidhu

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India

When the ball marker is yellow and all the attributes are ideal, you can hit between mid on and mid wicket. Otherwise the pull shot animation comes out and ball is missed

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Graphically It looks like a ps2/ early ps3 game at best.

Stilll learning the gameplay but it is a bit clunky at times.
Probably you need eyes checked up. Surely it seems your eyesight remained in the ps2 era with your brain while your body transported to PS4, X1 era

Users who are viewing this thread