India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
...but your computer already shows you the time; it's either bottom right or top right depending on whether you use Windows or OSX
We have some people who are unable to switch timezones according to the drafts and end up in banters...

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
i don't know what ending up "in banters" means, but it doesn't sound very nice

switching time zones is easy, its a simple as adding or taking away a number from the hour; and maybe adding or taking away 30 if you are dealing with India, Iran, Newfoundland and a bunch of other places that insist on being awkward for some reason that's probably very valid but annoying to the rest of the world. As far as maths goes: its quite simple for most of the year, other than the times when the clocks change in and that's because America insists on being awkward. Having a clock on the forums wouldn't fix the guys problem which is that people would still schedule events using their local timezones, and the clock would run off server time which is in CET which I doubt is used by many on these forums. One solution that comes to mind to make things easier would be to give the time in both GMT and a local timezone (IST probably would be the one most used here), I've seen that done in other places and it makes things easier to convert.

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
We have some people who are unable to switch timezones according to the drafts and end up in banters...
There's the clock on the bottom right of your windows screen or if on mac top right, it hardly takes 10 seconds to even change the time zone, you will also have alternatives in your smart phones or even just search in BST time on Google or any other applicable time zone you're looking for, it'll tell you.

Edit - saying this due to the fact that I used these methods for when ever I needed it in leagues.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
i don't know what ending up "in banters" means, but it doesn't sound very nice

...not as bad as taking it to photoshop level and also less than @blockerdave...

FreeCake.gif

We're all aware there's a time-stamp on all posts in the top left hand corner above everyone's Avatar, yeah?

Last edited:

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
User2010 got my view.
The windows clock is awesome but still many different PC's show a tad difference in time but a forum clock will show it unifies time so no hassles to any league managers.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
every computer i've had for the last ten years has been set to automatically sync the time from either Microsoft or Apple's time servers in order to make sure that the time was always correct at any particular time (and also to auto-update for BST/GMT which is handy); I do wonder how that isn't something that everyone does automatically.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
a forum clock will show it unifies time so no hassles to any league managers

Why would you just not say "from the date shown from this post" (ie; your one currently says "15mins ago" so when it reaches "an hour ago" or "yesterday" or whatever). Keep it simple.

Alternatively, why not do it by X amount of posts, vs a specific time.

I don't run a "league" so I dunno how specific this time period needs to be, nor do I know how easy/simple it is to have a clock ticking away somewhere but surely something like this would suffice?

EDIT:

Alternatively, embedding or linking to some form of online countdown clock?

There's loads of alternatives...

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Why? You haven't explained the main argument against it: in that it'd show a timezone that's irrelevant to lots of people and which people wouldn't use to say when things are starting.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
I vote for a new timezone: PCST ...there should be 69 hours in a day and 8008 days a year. All times should be displayed digitally, in lime green.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I think this discussion has stretched way too much. I will ask Matt if it is easy enough to add it, if no I think the leagues can keep going the same way as they have been after moving to XF. The league managers need to decide according to the timestamp on the posts. That's it.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think this discussion has stretched way too much. I will ask Matt if it is easy enough to add it, if no I think the leagues can keep going the same way as they have been after moving to XF. The league managers need to decide according to the timestamp on the posts. That's it.
Its very very easy. Even you can do it in admin CP.

To add the clock & date-
Go to <ul class="footerLinks"> in the "footer" template, and add the following code before the </ul> tag.
<li><a href="{xen:link 'account/preferences'}"><div class="time muted">{xen:datetime $datetime, 'absolute'}</div></a></li>

Clicking it will take you to the Preferences page, where you can change the time zone.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
...but does it come in lime green?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
To add the clock & date-
Which shows you your local time, which as mentioned, is something you can very easily get from your PC. Especially as the time between the page rendering and you seeing the clock will mean it will literally always be incorrect when you view it - making it even more useless.

Users who are viewing this thread