Don Bradman Cricket in the Press

Hey Guys,
Definitely some solid points made but some of the comments below the video are quite disheartening, clearly these guys weren't too great at playing the game! :P

Enjoy!

Not really. It's youtube comments you wouldn't be expecting much. Half of the comments are from american's saying that cricket sucks.

One that particularly stuck out for me is the one saying that it's not a review cause it didn't have a score! :facepalm:facepalm

I've seen a few people saying IGN article gave it a low score, I have to say that scores are stupid. Devs/Publishes/Fans should pay no attention to scores since they try to put a number to a personal opinion and then that number is represented to the reader's own scoring system which never makes any sense.

Not really. It's youtube comments you wouldn't be expecting much. Half of the comments are from american's saying that cricket sucks.

One that particularly stuck out for me is the one saying that it's not a review cause it didn't have a score! :facepalm:facepalm

I've seen a few people saying IGN article gave it a low score, I have to say that scores are stupid. Devs/Publishes/Fans should pay no attention to scores since they try to put a number to a personal opinion and then that number is represented to the reader's own scoring system which never makes any sense.

The last contract I saw with a big publisher had a clause about penalties for a bad Metacritic score, so I guess some people care... especially when they can use it as an excuse to not pay royalties!

The last contract I saw with a big publisher had a clause about penalties for a bad Metacritic score, so I guess some people care... especially when they can use it as an excuse to not pay royalties!

Yep. I've seen bonuses offered for good scores as well, but mostly it's used as a stick to beat devs with: "You need ?2m to make the game? OK: but if it's less than 80 on metacritic you only get 80% of the money" etc.
I never allow metacritic to be used, but I have persuaded the suits to accept an average based on certain handpicked sites (that I thought would be representative of a reasonable average) where there is a degree of continuity... which would depend on the type of game.

I dislike scores on reviews, and therefore I dislike metacritic a heck of a lot.

Yep. I've seen bonuses offered for good scores as well, but mostly it's used as a stick to beat devs with: "You need ?2m to make the game? OK: but if it's less than 80 on metacritic you only get 80% of the money" etc.
I never allow metacritic to be used, but I have persuaded the suits to accept an average based on certain handpicked sites (that I thought would be representative of a reasonable average) where there is a degree of continuity... which would depend on the type of game.

I dislike scores on reviews, and therefore I dislike metacritic a heck of a lot.

I've always had the clauses struck, eventually, mostly after the argument that if they can show me a game that metacritic's at their required rate for their required budget that they have produced then I would accept it.

Theres a 2 page spread in the Official Xbox mag on Don Bradman good reading even tho it says ETA Spring... and it's already out but very good read was very positive! :)

Theres a 2 page spread in the Official Xbox mag on Don Bradman good reading even tho it says ETA Spring... and it's already out but very good read was very positive! :)

Any chance someone has a digital version of just the DBC pages?

Any chance someone has a digital version of just the DBC pages?

Sorry but i don't get the digital versions written by Ben wilson at Totalxbox.com but it's not on their site only got the magazine today i could take pics but wouldn't be good quality... I'll put a few things he says...

'There's much to like here, first of all you aren't treated with kids gloves. Too many cricket offerings such as lara through out the 2000's have focused on being fun for noobs and thereby prioritised simplicity over depth' ....

'Here's the first master stroke: you have to wait until the ball is in flight before deciding what shot to play....the critical point being that you need to wait, and react, to every ball that is bowled.'

'The overwhelming impression I take away from this is that the developers have thought of everything that the die-hard cricket fan could want.''

''While it might not be able to whip up the perfect bat-and-ball sim first go, the potential here is bigger than David Boon's beergut, making this the one time where crossing every digit you have for a resounding aussie victory''

I missed out alot but i put up a few points, there are many more positive points :) Hope that's okay. Even us UK folk are cheering on the Aussie's now! haha :eek:

Last edited:
Ben Wilson was editor of OPM until recently: he's a huge sports fan (the only person I can remember having given a sports game 10/10).
He's a very good judge IMO. :yes

Users who are viewing this thread