Most Overrated Cricketer

Status
Not open for further replies.
He lacks variety as I said. The reason he doesn't have as many wickets as the Kumbles, Harbajans, Warnes or Muralis is because he is a very orthadox left-arm spinner. However, he is the best left-arm spinner in the world in relation to wicket-taking ability.

However, he is the best left-arm spinner in the world in relation to wicket-taking ability.

Disagree. Daniel Vettori is much more consistent. I guess it's the old opinion thing again. Vettori can get wickets in any conditions. Panesar is very much a last innings, need lots of turn bowler. It's no good being a great bowler in favorable conditions and rubbish in good conditions. I think the fact that Panesar's spot is up for debate proves he's not the best.

I just looked up the stats and I was astounded. Vettori has played 18 tests since Panesar has started playing (March 1 06) to Panesar's 32. Almost double the games. The averages are basically the same, Vettori with the slight edge. But that's really poor. We really don't play often enough.

I don't like playing this 'best' game, I think it's best to agree they are both different bowlers and Panesar is better in the right conditions and Vettori is better in general conditions.

As a pure penentrative wicket-taker, I believe Panesar is better. Again, if we incorporate all of Daniel Vettori's variations, he is the better spinner but I hold the opinion that Panesar takes more wickets as he proved suring the England-NZ series.

It was quite stange. Vettori got more wickets in England but Panesar got more wickets in New Zealand. But they were more or less even. Over the 2 combined series, Panesar got 1 more wicket and considering how poor our batting is (though England hardly performed) it's not a big difference.

Right, time to ruin the opinion of whoever thinks Symonds is better than Lara, or even Inzamam (in ODIs)

At home, Symonds averages in ODI cricket 28.98.

Half of Symond's games are in Australia - therefore, if you have to face Symonds, you want to face him in Australia, where he has a very low average.

I will say though, Inzamam averages only 26.09 in Australia, only 2 under Symonds. However, Symond's average should be way up there, since Australia is where he plays his most cricket.

Now the best thing to look at, is what a batsman averages in games that his country has won. No matter what, even if you make a 200 in ODI cricket, if your team loses, it really doesn't matter for much. Sure, it was probably an excellent innings, but you have to play for your team.

And these stats are usually the best to look at, when looking at a player's performance (contributing to the team)

Andrew Symonds averages 47.98 in matches that Australia have won.

Inzamam-ul-Haq averages 51.04 in matches that Pakistan have won.

The other great thing is, Inzamam in every 3.76 innings, will score a 50+ score.

Andrew Symonds in every 4.48 innings, will score a 50+ score.

Therefore, Inzamam is more consistent at getting to a 50+ score than Andrew Symonds, and Inzamam is far more dependable to get a 50+ score.

He lacks variety as I said. The reason he doesn't have as many wickets as the Kumbles, Harbajans, Warnes or Muralis is because he is a very orthadox left-arm spinner. However, he is the best left-arm spinner in the world in relation to wicket-taking ability.

No one is expecting him to take as many wickets as them, but for now, his statistics flatter him. Batsmen often get themselves out against him, whether slogging for a declaration or getting their pads in front of a straight ball and I don't expect it to continue for the duration of his career. This being said, he is the best option as England's spinner, imo.

Slogging for a declarration? That is a very poor argument and the reasons are twofold - 1) Teams don't declare that often against England and 2) Every spinner gets attacked. That's how spinners like Vettori and Powar get a lot of their wickets.

Also, he bowls in English conditions which aren't usually very spinner-friendly but he can perform as he showed at Headingly.

Slogging for a declarration? That is a very poor argument

It is not an arguement and it is just an example of how I believe he has not earned a lot of his wickets. Perhaps 'for a declaration' was a poor example, but attempting to punish a poor ball may be a better one - of course, you can argue that this is a misjudgement but I have just not seen Monty earn that many of his wickets.

He may not have a spectacular strike rate but he has a heavy workload so I think he does earn his wickets. They're ususally good deliveries too. I've never seen him get a wicket from a drag down.

Andy Symonds in his 5 wicket haul in Australia.

EDIT: In fact, let's go through those wickets as an example.
1. Langer missed a straight one, not an arm ball, but one that just didn't spin.
2. Symonds edged a very short one playing a cut
3. Gilchrist fell to a good ball which leapt and spun
4. Warne tried to cut one that wasn't there - more Warne's flamboyance than Monty's brilliance.
5. Brett Lee got his pad in the way of one that didn't spin*

*This is a key mode of dismissal for Monty and I expect it to fade away as people learn from their mistakes and realise that he doesn't turn it on a pitch earlier than Day Four that often.

Last edited:
To be fair, I have sort of repressed memories about that series.

I actually agree that Tendulkar is the most over rated batsman.

Dont get me wrong, hes been one of the best. But Indians just go a little over board.

over rated

andrew strauss
ms dhoni
nasser hussain (back in his day)
ricardo morton- continues to bat up the order for west indies averaging 22 in tes matches.

number 1 over rated player.. jaques kallis.. i reakon he is the most selfish player out there. its all about him.

andrew strauss
ms dhoni
nasser hussain (back in his day)
ricardo morton- continues to bat up the order for west indies averaging 22 in tes matches.

number 1 over rated player.. jaques kallis.. i reakon he is the most selfish player out there. its all about him.

lol..Hey Mate,no body rate him.
He is just poor guy who always going to face criticism despite the fact that He scores or not.

P.s. Ya you can say that I overrate him. ;)
Welcome to the Forum.

Lol, he joined 4 years before you.

Anyway, I disgaree that Strauss is overrated. He was slated for his poor run of form but he's proved his critics wrong as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread