England vs PM's XI @ Manuka Oval

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I take it Ferguson got better after being plumb to Yardy early on? :D

Seriously though, Yardy is the sort of bowler who will do well when he hasn't been seen before, because he's quite unique in his style. My worry is that a brilliant batsman, or a guy that has seen a bit of him, will smash him once he gets used to his bowling. Agreed on Shahzad though, he should be playing, especially with Anderson not around for the first bunch of games. Interesting to see who plays in the ODIs out of Bell and Trott too, unless we try and get them both in, which would be difficult. I'm just praying that neither plays in the T20 games. :p

Sureshot

Executive member
They'll both play in the ODIs. Doubt Trott will be in T20s, Bell should be.

My ODI side will be something like:

Strauss
Davies
Bell
Trott
KP
Morgan
Collingwood
Yardy
Bresnan
Swann
Shahzad (Anderson when he is back)

I suppose Trott would be the one to miss out if you didn't want Colly as a 5th bowler. Then you'd have Yardy up at 7 and probably Tremlett in the side.

P

pcfan123

I'm not the biggest Yardy fan, he'll get figured out very quickly If we are just going to have someone come in and bowl left arm darts, then I'd rather it be Monty.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
With the Yardy debate, I don't think that's the case, he is a very hard bowler to face and if you think he will get figured out very quickly I really don't think he would be doing as well on the county circle as he does. I really think that Yardy will be a very good package for England especially in the SC.

P

pcfan123

I should mention I meant for the Test team. If Swann get's injured I'd want Monty in there as a replacement, not Yardy or the other leggie, forgot his name already.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Oh whoops, alright then. Agreed, there is no way I would have him near the test side!

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I should mention I meant for the Test team. If Swann get's injured I'd want Monty in there as a replacement, not Yardy or the other leggie, forgot his name already.

Rashid?

@Sureshot, surely you would give Cook a crack in the ODIs after such an awesome test series?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It'd be interesting to see if they do have to figure him out because they played him fairly well last time. However, a lot of that was Ponting.

Owzat

International Coach
About time the selectors left Wright out, he bowlers a few overs before the captain decides he's just conceding runs and then doesn't bat high enough in the order to make him a batsman, bowler or all-rounder.

Still have grave reservations over Yardy playing anything more than T20 as well

MH Yardy

ODIs

170 runs @ 17.00 (SR 61.59)
14 wkts @ 43.93 (SR 60.86, ER 4.33)

T20s

96 runs @ 48.00 (SR 135.21)
7 wkts @ 36.00 (SR 32.57, ER 6.63)

While the batting in T20s is boosted by five not outs, thus working out at around 14 actual runs per innings, it's a much better set of figures for T20 if not perfect/exceptional. In ODIs he doesn't offer a lot, tidy bowling but no real wicket threat taking less than a wicket per ODI so works out maybe at 1/43 off 10 overs as par which will probably impress some, but with wickets in hand to take runs off the other bowlers it isn't actually that helpful to the side

As for LJ Wright

ODIs

600 runs @ 21.43 (SR 90.91)
15 wkts @ 51.27 (SR 60.40, ER 5.09)

T20s

328 runs @ 16.40 (SR 129.13)
6 wkts @ 36.50 (SR 26.00, ER 8.42)

Nothing special all-round, he's scoring 19 runs per knock in ODIs, about 1/4 of the time he isn't even batting, and his bowling is nothing much to write home about. He's a typical England bits n pieces cricketer, Yardy too. If England want to win the World Cup as Flower claims then they need to get the side balance right and stick to runscoring batsmen, wicket-taking bowlers and all-rounders who have more about them than those two. No point wasting two slots in the side with players who don't offer a lot with the bat, and pose little wicket taking threat - and don't even bowl (half) their allocations a lot of the time. Bits n pieces might be a bit kind on them, sometimes they are passengers.

Collingwood carries as much threat as Wright with the ball, there's no reason he can't be a sixth bowler. If Swann and Broad are in the side, then maybe the side needs one all-rounder and two bowlers with Collingwood filling in if/when necessary with his bowling. Neither Yardy nor Wright are suitable to fill the all-rounder slot OR the bowlers slots, they don't fit in with Collingwood, Davies/Prior, Broad and Swann in the side

Sureshot

Executive member

Talking about the test team in a One Day thread? Tut Tut!

Cricketman - Cook is 12,000 miles away from the squad, no point in mentioning him.

Go on then Owzat, who you going to use as the 2nd spinner in the World Cup? Yardy will be economical and useful to bat in a situation if we ever have a collapse. Other possibilities will be Monty, who can only bowl and is likely to be more expensive, even if he is more likely to take wickets on paper, he's a liability in the field and can't bat. Rashid is raw, an unknown, would again bowl quite welll, but would also get tonked. Tredwell is the outside choice, not very fashionable choice, but probably the best bat of the lot, but a lot like Swanny.

Yardy is in the side because you know exactly what you'll get from him.

World Cup attack of Broad, Anderson, Swann, Yardy and perhaps Tremlett/Shahzad would be good. Yardy at 7, Broad 8, Swann 9. More than enoguh batting.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Talking about the test team in a One Day thread? Tut Tut!

Cricketman - Cook is 12,000 miles away from the squad, no point in mentioning him.

Go on then Owzat, who you going to use as the 2nd spinner in the World Cup? Yardy will be economical and useful to bat in a situation if we ever have a collapse. Other possibilities will be Monty, who can only bowl and is likely to be more expensive, even if he is more likely to take wickets on paper, he's a liability in the field and can't bat. Rashid is raw, an unknown, would again bowl quite welll, but would also get tonked. Tredwell is the outside choice, not very fashionable choice, but probably the best bat of the lot, but a lot like Swanny.

Yardy is in the side because you know exactly what you'll get from him.

World Cup attack of Broad, Anderson, Swann, Yardy and perhaps Tremlett/Shahzad would be good. Yardy at 7, Broad 8, Swann 9. More than enoguh batting.

Tredwell will be the one to go since he's the most economical. Rashid won't be ready for some time you feel.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
On ability, Blackwell would be in ahead of Yardy. But we all know why the selectors won't go for that.

War

Chairman of Selectors
On ability, Blackwell would be in ahead of Yardy. But we all know why the selectors won't go for that.

Hmm. Well Blackwell is definately a better batsman like Patel is than Yardy. But i dont think neither of their bowling is good enough to be a consistent 5th bowling option like Yardy @ international level.

----------

They'll both play in the ODIs. Doubt Trott will be in T20s, Bell should be.

My ODI side will be something like:

Strauss
Davies
Bell
Trott
KP
Morgan
Collingwood
Yardy
Bresnan
Swann
Shahzad (Anderson when he is back)

I suppose Trott would be the one to miss out if you didn't want Colly as a 5th bowler. Then you'd have Yardy up at 7 and probably Tremlett in the side.

Ye Tremlett will have to come in. Cant have the bowling so weak, thus one of Trott or Bell will have to sit down.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Hmm. Well Blackwell is definately a better batsman like Patel is than Yardy. But i dont think neither of their bowling is good enough to be a consistent 5th bowling option like Yardy @ international level.

I'd check the records then, if I was you. Blackwell is more than good enough to get through 10 overs and keep the rate down, as he has shown in the past. In a ODI team he'd be more of a bowling all-rounder, but with a higher ability with the bat than most, for me. Perhaps not quite a genuine all-round number 7, but probably as close as we have.

Users who are viewing this thread