New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe Oct-Nov 2011/12

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
The only way I thought this would be dangerous for NZ was if B Taylor fired, and he is doing that.

Quite often their success or failure depends on their "big guns". It's a shame Taylor hasn't had more Tests

I thought the zimmers' lower order would cost them this match, but the kiwis haven't got to it and that will be pivotal. 2-3 wickets for the kiwis could prove decisive, but it depends how comfortable and ambitious the zimmers are in chasing. Taylor could take it away from the kiwis in no time at all, I gather there is controversy over a "fair catch", but since no nations' batsmen seem to want to adhere to the old "fielder's word is good enough for me" protocol then noone can really complain when their opponents stand their ground.

Blame the aussies, I think it was one or two of their 'non walkers' that started the new culture of not walking - that and more use of technology. Commentators do seem to be keen to suggest/imply that the ball looks more ground touching by replay, not sure on what basis they can be sure whether it did or didn't so it's not like they know for sure. If in doubt, not out, simple. It's not like Nasser in Sri Lanka patting the ball off the face of the bat twice straight to the fielder and not walking, pivotal in the game as his consequent hundred helped England win narrowly in Test and series

----------

This is dire.

Wouldn't sweat it, Taylor's out and after fats (Waller) it's only chaka and the tail. Another wicket or two and what I said comes into play, the lower order is vulnerable and Price is far more a number 10 or 11 than he is an 8

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Before Taylor got out I was pretty nervous about this :p But yea Zimbabwe have a really long tail so his was the key wicket

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Man NZ bowling attack is terrible. Despite the media saying they were in a dominate position yesterday I would have put Zimbabwe in front.

I think Taylor was 50 runs short with the declaration.

Paki007

Panel of Selectors
i dont think taylor declared early it's BT's innings that almost snatched the match for Zim

----------

i also had a feeling that Zim will go for a draw i mean who would have thought that Zim will go for chasing a total that is 300+ in 90 overs

Owzat

International Coach
i dont think taylor declared early it's BT's innings that almost snatched the match for Zim

It was a positive declaration trying to produce a result on the last day/innings of a match, I think it was reasonable to be positive as anything over 350 to win is difficult for the best of sides let alone for one of the two weakest nations.

Might have been a tad on the side of generous with 366 off 114 overs which is only a fraction over 3 rpo. But the zimmers are proving that to take the wickets they need 100+ overs, perhaps more blame lies with the kiwi batsmen who went from 401/5 to 426 all out in the 1st innings and struggled second time around after recovering to 155/3 taking 22.1 overs to add 97 runs against what is one of the weaker bowling attacks.

Chaka is now out, it's up to fats to carry the zimmers home and now a question of stick or twist. Are they going to aim to win and risk losing, or shut up shop for a draw? Four an over with three 10s and a jack to help fats is not what I'd be wanting to chase down a win. Could well end up the declaration was just enough.

----------

i also had a feeling that Zim will go for a draw i mean who would have thought that Zim will go for chasing a total that is 300+ in 90 overs

I'd suggest they didn't, they're only going at around 3 rpo which is only a fraction more than the kiwis' 1st innings and about half a run slower than the kiwis' 2nd innings. Taylor is just naturally agressive with 53 sixes in ODIs.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
this could get reaaaaally interesting if Ncube can hang on.

4.3 an over needed, but even going at a modest rate would leave them needing to just hit a few boundaries in the last 2 or 3 overs with the match surely safe.

this is ODI stuff.

----------

well, he couldn't, probably a draw now, unless you get a couple of dire balls or a few edged 4s that put the target down to a far more modest rate.

Last edited:

Owzat

International Coach
nearer 5 rpo than 4, two wickets left and Waller is only plodding along so unless he is brave and decides to take the attack to the kiwis to try and spread the field a bit then it should be kiwis or draw.

Shame because at 287/4 it looked there for the zimmers, they've now lost 4/42 in 11.2 overs (68 balls)

And as I type it's now nine down, did say 2-3 wickets would swing it in the kiwis' favour. Fats is out, now there surely must be everyone around the bat and if full doesn't do it then I bet a few short will.

Confirms what I have said about zimmers in all forms of cricket, too many non-combatants down the order and when you get through the top 6-7 then you don't expect much resistance. Declaration looking like it was spot on, maybe a scare or two, but then that always seems the way. 100+ is still a long way out if you get the batting side down to 5-6 wickets down or even left.

jacobfelix

International Coach
Damn...They lost :facepalm All the hardwork done in the first 2 sessions were ruined in the final session....they choked :rolleyes....Good stuff though from Zimbabwe...

Anyway, its good NZ won...I will get some vcash here...:D

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
This defeat stings. To get so close but yet so far. 7 wickets to fall quickly is disappointing.

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
I am thoroughly disappointed seeing the collapse but again they are just back in Test Cricket and showing these many positive sign might just be a beginning. Zim's domestic structure is improving every year but these players in off time, or players that look seriously promising must play domestic cricket in England to improve

ferg512

International Coach
Well I guess we got the win but that was not promising at all. We really are going to struggle to bowl out the Aussies even once. I can't believe Martin is turning 37 next month, he really hasn't been up to it the past 2-3 years. Patel was just horrible as expected, I mean he even got dropped from Wellington last year how the hell did he get a call up? The only positive was Bracewell, who I would have opening with Southee in Aus, not sure who on earth would be the third seamer though.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well I guess we got the win but that was not promising at all. We really are going to struggle to bowl out the Aussies even once. I can't believe Martin is turning 37 next month, he really hasn't been up to it the past 2-3 years. Patel was just horrible as expected, I mean he even got dropped from Wellington last year how the hell did he get a call up? The only positive was Bracewell, who I would have opening with Southee in Aus, not sure who on earth would be the third seamer though.

Trent Boult obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread