possible refund / withdrawl of sale strategy

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I don't buy into all this "you should have known better" rubbish being peddled around on these forums regarding those who bought the game.

My expectations were realistic I think.. I thought I was going to get something along the lines of AC09. Another flawed cricket game, that could possibly be modded and patched a bit to tide me over until what everyone is describing as the real game (DBC14) comes out..

Nothing prepared me for what I saw next

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You clearly needed to read around a little more.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
There was literally no communication for months.

Did we know it would be this bad? No.

But quite simply and objectively, if you had done any research prior to purchase, you should have known better.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
You clearly needed to read around a little more.

I've been lurking extensively here, and there was a lack of feedback from the developers, and some less than exciting screenshots, but nothing to suggest a game where you couldn't even bowl/hit/field a ball properly.. I'm not saying I had any expectations, and this still managed to fall way below them

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
You're kidding, right? This game was DOA since July. Then it was a zero fanfare PC-Only release on Steam (no box, no advertising, no consoles). What exactly did you think you were buying for $20?

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
I've been lurking extensively here, and there was a lack of feedback from the developers, and some less than exciting screenshots, but nothing to suggest a game where you couldn't even bowl/hit/field a ball properly.. I'm not saying I had any expectations, and this still managed to fall way below them

And these weren't enough of a red flag for you?

What developer/publisher, in their right mind, would support a game like they have supported this one, if it was remotely good?

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant

I think this is a reasonable post, particularly if you purchased prior to the release as people were induced to do with the limited time "cut-price pre-order offer" - it was designed to suck people in and take their money *before* the news was out.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

There were definitely enough posts and enough clues not to buy, regardless of the developer's behaviour. It's not being wise after the event, i and others posted this before release.

You had a developer and publisher neither of whom said a thing about release, you had no gameplay footage prior to release, you had a manual describing an archaic, basic control system with no front/back foot selection, you had 5 terrible screenshots including ones with the pitch marker half-way down the track being met with a front foot shot... You shouldn't have bought it. Check my posts when release was announced - i said all this then.

The one thing they were honest about was that they were starting from scratch (no choice, they didn't own IC10/AC09 code) so if you expected an increment on those you were deluded.

Nobody expected anything this bad, it is disgraceful that they tried to get away with this. But people who bought it only have themselves to blame.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
I think this is a reasonable post, particularly if you purchased prior to the release as people were induced to do with the limited time "cut-price pre-order offer" - it was designed to suck people in and take their money *before* the news was out.

Eh... I think that's reaching. Your average quality PC title costs between $40 - $60 these days. When you're buying a discounted game already, then that's discounted further as a "Special Pre-Purchase Price" any sane minded individual should smell a rat.

"Too good to be true" is the appropriate line.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

I don't think it's reasonable for anyone who is a member here. Someone who came across it on steam, maybe. Someone who has been lurking here for months? Nah.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
You're kidding, right? This game was DOA since July. Then it was a zero fanfare PC-Only release on Steam (no box, no advertising, no consoles). What exactly did you think you were buying for $20?

Like I said, a buggy, poorly made game that I could have some fun with until DBC14.. Not something that doesn't function at all.

I'm not blaming anyone on here at all, there has at no stage been anything good said about this game by anyone on this forum.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
I take your points but benefit of the doubt - people thought it was a bad $30 game and they were to get it for $20 - what they got is a game not worth $2 and that is the issue.

I don't think many of the purchasers are actually saying they thought it would be good, they just didn't think it would be that bat.

There was the inducement of 1/3 off the price to suck people in before they could see it, that should be remembered.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
I take your points but benefit of the doubt - people thought it was a bad $30 game and they were to get it for $20 - what they got is a game not worth $2 and that is the issue.

I don't think many of the purchasers are actually saying they thought it would be good, they just didn't think it would be that bat.

There was the inducement of 1/3 off the price to suck people in before they could see it, that should be remembered.

This

I hope your game is as well rounded as your thoughts on here

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

Oh the developer and publisher have behaved disgracefully, and i don't want to let them off the hook one bit.

And Langeveldt has the point that nobody thought it wouldn't even be functional...

But still, i think nobody shoulda bought it, and i think the signs were there pretty crystal clear it would be a stinker, and every member here knew of the developer's attotude and behaviour but still gave them their money, and that sticks in my craw a lot.

----------

On less contentious ground Ross, what's your take on the possible withdrawl of sale on steam? There's no "buy" button any more. (given the name of this thread, i am taking full credit and henceforth 25th November shall forever be blocker dave day)

Users who are viewing this thread