DBC 14 Modding for PC

kulch

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
If people mod kits, like bats and brands and upload them into the CA - can consoles use them?

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Buy both versions as simple as that, can't wait to see the PC version around cricket season after the mods have had there hands on it for 6 months.:cheers

grkrama

National Board President
No. It's not even 'not likely', it's an absolute no.
and thats why steam machines will take over the other consoles by MS n sony.
They will not know what hit them when Steam gets in the game with its support for mods.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
No. It's not even 'not likely', it's an absolute no.

Well to a point... But then... "User generated content" is the new "Mods". Although it needs to be moderated before it can be downloaded, there's no real reason why it couldn't end up on consoles too, so long as it doesn't infringe IP or is offensive.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Well to a point... But then... "User generated content" is the new "Mods". Although it needs to be moderated before it can be downloaded, there's no real reason why it couldn't end up on consoles too, so long as it doesn't infringe IP or is offensive.
For the "kits, like bats and brands" mentioned in the original post I can be very confident in the absolute no.

The stuff that would fall outside that, like potential AI tweaking would be a nightmare to officially support.

grkrama

National Board President
For the "kits, like bats and brands" mentioned in the original post I can be very confident in the absolute no.

The stuff that would fall outside that, like potential AI tweaking would be a nightmare to officially support.

not really its just a matter of platform holders stop being stubborn on their terms, the very fact they are charging for including patches by devs shows their attitude.

If they can get patches in to the games, they can very well include mods too,its only a policy change which they will be forced to make in future as steam boxes gain popularity, they are way behind in terms of going digital actually compared to steam.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
FIFA and PES manage to find a way...
I didn't think it'd be you that I'd need to make the 'DBC isn't FIFA' point to. They would have teams bigger than the whole development team of DBC14 that could work on what custom modifications they would officially allow, to deal with reports of infringing/offensive content, etc. It's a scale thing.

Besides, my understanding is that they are basically just supporting custom sliders, and no real deep gameplay editing - certainly not changing config files like you can on PC.

And to address custom sliders - obviously it's a matter of minimising the testing matrix in the early editions of the game. It's hard enough getting things to be balanced and work out the bugs with 5 difficulty levels with a team the resources Big Ant would have - needing to have consistent and reliable results with that level of supported customisation would need a lot more testing.

If people download something within the game - they'll blame the game for the problems. Hence complaints to Big Ant about the quality of what are created players in the Cricket Academy. There's a lot more work Big Ant need to do on the five difficulty settings and existing AI before they start officially offering up user created modifications to it - because they'll get all the complaints when people's edits go wrong.

grkrama

National Board President
IF we are talking about future im sure allowing mods in the game is the way forward for consoles and any multi platform game.
But as of now for DBC i dont think it will be possible and have to agree with matt there.

The other problem is with the console itself which will not be able to handle mods as well as a PC, hence why developers water down stuff on consoles.
SO as i think more it kind of beats the point of modding for consoles as it probably strain the system more if mods that are not within specification of the original assets or tweaks are used and hit performance

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
The point isn't a scale one; it's just developers can clearly offer an option for user-created content to be uploaded, shared and used in-game on console.
I think both also have a post-release review mechanism and fewer players means fewer reports for violations of whatever kind.
Graphics modifications are a very important element to most users I would argue (hence the amount of graphical downloads still created for older games on this site) and it's clearly unrealistic to dismiss the idea of Big Ant adding this to a future incarnation as an "absolute no".

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Graphics modifications are a very important element to most users I would argue (hence the amount of graphical downloads still created for older games on this site) and it's clearly unrealistic to dismiss the idea of Big Ant adding this to a future incarnation as an "absolute no".
And the majority of those graphical downloads are ones that edit in content that the game did not come with the licenses for - that's just never going to happen officially.

grkrama

National Board President
^if it can happen on steam why not on xbox live or PSN, i think a youtube like approach will be followed there as its user generated not as if BA or MS or sony is doing, if MS or sony doesnt some other platform will do it. There can always be a report button. and users are not profiting of it so its nt like they can be sued.

MOds can always be sandboxed so they dont edit ingame content files only replicate

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread