The State of defending in current world football

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Looking @ world football this season with some of defensive performances of major teams like United, City, Chelsea, Barcelona, Germany etc etc, along with a general look @ defending as a team/individually in the last few years - i'd say the standard of defending in the game is very average.

Too many central defenders are slow and very positional and if caught in a one vs one race with a pacy striker, are regularly embarrassed. While too many full-backs are excellent going forward, but very suspect doing their main job of defending.

When i started watching football around EURO 96, some great center halves have been around: the french trio of Desailly, Blanc, Lebouf. Italian giants like Maldini, Cannavaro, Nesta, Costacurta. The arsenal backline of Lee Dixon, Tony Adams, Martin Keown and Nigel Winterburn, along with Sol Campbell later. The united's backline at one stage of Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister and Denis Irwin and later Jaap Stamp.

Other great individual defenders like Hierro, Matthaus, Sammer Paulo Montero, Samuel Kuffor, Gheorghe Popescu, frank de boer etc etc etc.

In recent years very accomplished defenders who were stalwarts in the middle of this 2000s era like Lucio, Ferdinand, Terry, Puyol, Carvalho have past their peaks although they are still useful. But i see no upcoming defender who really impresses.

Thiago Silva as most know was recently became one of the most (if not the most) expensive defender in history when he went to PSG. But does anyone even believe he is the best defender in the world right now?. I certainly don't although he is solid.

If fully fit and playing well, i'd say individually Kompany and Vidic are the best two center halves in the world. Closely followed by Ramos, Pique and Pepe and Chellini. While the Juventus back-tree of Barzagli/Bonnuci/Chellini is probably the most solid defensive unit in the game.

But this is a real paltry # compared to 10 years ago really.

With the full-backs its much of the same. Guys like Thuram, Lizarazu, Dan Popescu, G Neville, Zambrotta, van bronkhorst, Cafu, zanetti, michael reiziger, willy sagnol, pannuci etc etc were all very adept at their main role as defending, while also contributing in attack. For years Roberto Carlos was often seen as the odd-man full-back, who was more comfortable going forward than defending.

In recent years more full-backs show roberto carlos like traits rather than zambrotta traits - which is an issue.

Out of some of the world's most prominent modern full-backs such as Richards, Kelly, G Johnson, Debuecy, Walker, Evra, Ash Cole, Coentrato, Jao Perriera, Clichy, Kolarov, Zabaletta, Abate, Balzaretti, Criscito, Maggio, Ramos (when he plays that position), Lahm, Baines, Sagna, Jallet, Boateng, Alves, Alba, Marcelo, Rafael, Ivanovic, Eboue, Asamoh, Assou-Ekkoto, Riise etc etc - how much of them are better @ defending than attacking?

Its always great to see team scoring goals, and attacking formations getting better like Spain/Barca have come up with the "false 9" set-up. But calibre world defending has taken a certain nose dive in recent years & certainly needs a lift.

Last edited:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't particularly care - football is all about entertainment and while I would love my team to win 1-0 rather than lose 5-4 every week I'd much rather watch high scoring games than defensive masterclasses.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well i wasn't saying that i want to see a defensive master-class. Doubt any football fan would.

Just would like to see defenders/defending teams reach back to a more competent standard than it has been in recent years.

A few years ago when Ronaldo & Ash Cole had their winger vs full-back battles, that was very riveting. Now their is hardly a full-back in the game who Ronaldo wouldn't destroy with ease.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
regarding full backs, I just think right now they're on the back foot in the tactical arms race.

10-15 years ago, using attacking full backs was pretty revolutionary. they exploited the space in front them left by midfields in which most of the threat was carried by central players. they were the only players without someone directly opposite them in 4-4-2s.

now getting in behind them is pretty much a standard attack, so many of the best players in the world are wide attacking midfielders, evolving because so often the full backs were leaving gaps at the back to exploit.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Hmm i don't know, i would say based on my knowledge of football history, that the use of attacking full-backs could be first traced to Brazilian right/left-backs of the 1958 world-cup in Nilton Santos & Djalma Santos. And also Italian great Giacinto Fanchetti in the early 1960s.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
yeah, fair dos, although I've never heard of any of them, I mean at that particular time though. the flat back four offside system, perfected by sacchi, took over european football in the lat 80s early 90s. there probably has always been a few brazilians wing backs though, given it's a bit of a thing with them. I don't think there are any particularly notable full backs from the early 90s with the exception of maldini who, although insanely brilliant, was in no means a traditional attacking wing back and would probably be playing his entire career as a centre back had he been born 10 years later.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well yea i guess outside of Cafu & Roberto Carlos, most full-backs were more defensively inclined during the 90s. The only full-backs of the era outside of those two who i recall being real attacking (but also being solid defensively, unlike modern full-backs) were Andreas Brehme (Germany), Michael Reizeger (Holland) and Dan Patrescu (Romania/Chelsea).

War

Chairman of Selectors
Some good points made here made about modern day defending:

England's centre back problem - ESPN FC

quote said:
However, the decline in quality of defenders is not a pattern restricted to England. How many centre backs across Europe have played top-class football consistently over the past three seasons? Thiago Silva, Mats Hummels, Gerard Pique, Giorgio Chiellini and Vincent Kompany would probably be the five outstanding candidates, one from each major league, but even they have their limitations. Silva has been injury-prone, Hummels lacks a bit of pace, Pique's form wobbled during Pep Guardiola's final season, Chiellini has often been a left back rather than a centre back, and Kompany's form has dipped since last season (and he can struggle when defending high up the pitch).

Compared to a decade ago, it's a weak field. Then, the likes of Fabio Cannavaro, Paolo Maldini, Jaap Stam, Alessandro Nesta, Lucio, Lilian Thuram, Roberto Ayala and Walter Samuel -- in addition to the English brigade -- were genuinely top-class. Let's not view this with rose-tinted specs. These players weren't perfect: Maldini had a poor 2002 World Cup, Nesta was prone to the odd shocker, Ayala lacked pace. But the truth is that, for a variety of reasons, playing centre back has become more difficult.

First, increasingly strict rules governing tackling have had a significant impact. The tackle from behind and the two-footed challenge have long since been outlawed, but there has also been a slow, subtle shift in the level of physicality permitted. Increasingly, attackers are looking for contact, and there seems to be a prevailing mood that in some situations, players have "a right go to ground." Centre backs have to be increasingly careful and patient when challenging for the ball.

Second, the pace of the game has increased significantly. Even matches from a decade ago were noticeably slower -- the tempo of the game, the pace of individuals, the speed of the passing. Mistimed tackles have become much more common.

Third, strikers have become cleverer. The best forwards no longer place themselves up against opposition centre backs, waiting for long balls and crosses. Instead, they focus more on movement, link-up play and timing of runs. The "false nine" concept has become mainstream, and although it has influenced rather than revolutionised centre-back play, the change in emphasis shouldn't be underestimated. Luis Suarez, Robin van Persie and Michu, the three top-scoring centre forwards in the Premier League, all started in much deeper positions and retain their positional unpredictability.

Fourth -- and a related concept -- there is more mobility, energy and goal-scoring threat from attacking midfielders. The increased popularity of the 4-2-3-1 system (and to a certain extent, the 4-3-3) creates more fluid systems capable of interchanging attackers -- there are more options, more for defenders to think about. When playing against Chelsea 10 years ago, centre backs would be concerned almost solely about Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Eidur Gudjohnsen. The likes of Jesper Gronkjar, Mario Stanic, Qique De Lucas and Bolo Zenden weren't going to provide a goal threat (because of their role in the side as well as their lack of raw ability) nor was Lampard in a flat midfield four. Now, as well as a primary striker, defenders have to watch Eden Hazard, Oscar and Juan Mata ? plus Ramires and Lampard bursting forward from. Strikers contribute a lesser percentage of goals, which has made defending more complex.

Fifth, the increased popularity of squad rotation hasn't helped cohesion. Traditionally, centre back is where you want consistency, but the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson, Rafael Benitez, Andre Villas-Boas and Arsene Wenger have frequently swapped their defenders this season. Do we know any of these managers' first-choice centre-back duo for certain? With less familiarity, reliable relationships are more difficult to build ? and good centre-back play is all about partnerships.

Sixth, centre backs are expected to do more. Ten years ago, it was an extravagant bonus to possess a centre back who was comfortable in possession. Now it's vital. The most extreme passing sides have started naming midfielders as centre backs ? Barcelona have played Yaya Toure, Sergio Busquets, Javier Mascherano and Alex Song there, refusing to buy a traditional backup centre back. The more the focus on technicality, the less pure defensive ability will shine through.

The flip side? Teams defend better as a unit. Whether through heavy pressing or staying deep and protecting the back four, the demands upon midfielders and forwards when the opposition have possession have increased significantly. Getting the entire starting XI into a reliable, discipline defensive shape is supposedly Roy Hodgson's main strength ? he can't use a lack of top-class centre backs as an excuse.

Auwais

International Coach
The final point about the teams defending better as a unit these days is interesting.

It's probably why a lot of the big sides can get away with CBs who aren't anywhere near as good at defending 1v1 as previous generations because they end up being less exposed in such situations. Barca fielding midfielders in defence is just a microcosm of this.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye that lost point was the most interesting. However at times the lack of proper centre-halves in the case of Barca do get exposed as we have seen this season, even though they defend well as a team & don't allow their defender to be faced with 1 vs 1 situations vs striker often.

War

Chairman of Selectors
BBC Sport - MOTD3: Full-backs, 3-5-2 and the best summer signings

They don't grow full-backs like G Neville, A Cole, Zanetti, Dixon, Irwin, Thuram, Lizarazu, Zambrotta, Sagnol, Evra, Gentile, Pearce, Van Brockhorst etc etc anymore. Of all modern full-backs i'd say only Lahm, Leichstenier, Asamoah, Zabaletta, Juanfraan, Luis Felipe, A Cole, Azpillecueta seem better at actual defending than going forward.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
BBC Sport - MOTD3: Full-backs, 3-5-2 and the best summer signings

They don't grow full-backs like G Neville, A Cole, Zanetti, Dixon, Irwin, Thuram, Lizarazu, Zambrotta, Sagnol, Evra, Gentile, Pearce, Van Brockhorst etc etc anymore. Of all modern full-backs i'd say only Lahm, Leichstenier, Asamoah, Zabaletta, Juanfraan, Luis Felipe, A Cole, Azpillecueta seem better at actual defending than going forward.

you forgot glen johnson

War

Chairman of Selectors
you forgot glen johnson

Nah, I think Johnson fell off his defensive game last season after a good years where he had improved immensely defensively. He is back to his pre-world cup 2010 levels of looking nervy when defending. With pool signing a few full-backs & young Flanagan around - will be interesting to see if he maintains his starting XI spot.

Next full-back i should mention is Ivanovic.

Users who are viewing this thread