Australia & South Africa's tour of Zimbabwe August-September 2014

cricketmad09

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
It wasn't the best batting display but the ball was turning more than the lesbian who saw me without my shirt on. My worry is without any real quality spinners who bowl a good line and keep things tight they might be half a chance.[DOUBLEPOST=1409483434][/DOUBLEPOST]
I was shocked to come home from cricket training and see Australia 5/99. From what the commentators have said most of our top order failed to adjust to the turning pitch. Luckily, Michael Clarke made 68 not in a partnership with Brad Haddin who also batted well and made 49. The bad news is Clarke has re-injured his hamstring and had to retire hurt before returning at the end of innings to allow Nathan Lyon to score a few runs in the last over. Ben Cutting also batted well under pressure and made the most of scoring off the pace bowlers, he scored 26 runs off 22 balls.

209 is what Australia has to defend. It is possible for us to defend that score if we bowl well but I have a worrying feeling that the Zimbabwe batsman will adjust better to the conditions and chase the score down. I hope when I check the scores in the morning I am wrong.
And cricket training in August?

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Taylor & Masakadza gone in quick succession :facepalm

...And now Williams has gone, double :facepalm:facepalm

You just knew the collapse was coming.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Calma Calma! Zimbabwe are historians. They are heroes in red colors. What a day for Cricket! :)

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
What a win for Zimbabwe! :cheers

Great partnership from Chigumbura & Utseya.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
Chigumbura's son must be so proud of daddy

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
I forgot to place my bet for Australia and perhaps luckily.So congrats Zimbabwe,you beated the one who were considered the top ODI team by many >

War

Chairman of Selectors
Congrats to ZIM. Can't ENG & NZ give them back Ballance & De Grandhomme?

Chigumbura, Utseya along with Taylor & Mazakada have always been ZIMs international standard. If they had the Ervine bros, Ballance, Goodwin, De Grandhomme, Jarvis, Ireland, Taibu, Cremer - ZIM would be a solid team at the moment.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England

flake

County Cricketer
I went out of town for the day but it was PACKED at HSC yesterday. They have earned support from the fans for the next game.

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Full credit to them, they were the better team on the day. Been a long time between drinks

166045.jpg

192865.jpg

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I don't think Australia was especially bad, and obviously to some extent it's more worthwhile to give players a go than defend records, but it did reveal some of the folly in planning. It was a good score for the bowlers to go out and defend from a weak batting side. It wasn't about the typical ODI mumbo jumbo of dot balls and keeping the batsman guessing. It was about old fashioned wicket taking. Starc did his job. Lyon also did his job well, he cost some runs, but he was striving for wickets, which he got. Of the rest, well, can you blame them for being bits and pieces players? That might be harsh, but really, all of them have come to provenance not because they can bowl but because they can do both. Maxwell obviously is more in the side to bat and Marsh is still a bit unknown as to whether he's going to be worth more with the bat or ball, but Faulkner and Cutting were picked 8 and 9. They had to be top shelf bowlers and I just didn't see it. This is the sort of planning that is preoccupied with the sort of uber-belter pitches where you don't really bowl sides out, just smash them with superior batting. When the game could actually be won by bowlers, they couldn't deliver.

In Maxwell is the obvious quandary for any one day team, in that if you're going to have lots of spin options, they need to be able to bat. Less likely is that you have seam up all-rounders so you can take your pick of spinners. Sometimes teams are lucky. Australia might fancy itself such a fortunate team in the near future, but it has to be prepared to select the likes of Faulkner in its top 7. That's the risk of all-rounders, it's not just about adding value at number 8, but being prepared to do both jobs reliably.

Above all else, it's a bit of a curious distraction from World Cup preparations. I do think Australia are going to have to deal with more of this in their UAE tour, but fast forward six months and I really don't see it being as big a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread