Patch #4 release update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 46200

I am happy with the current Patch Three on both PC and PS4! Patch 4, if it is a fixer for the remaining bugs, I am more than happy! Supporting BA till my last penny is spent!
Well, that money wont be spent until two years.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Okay, well I await to see what happens in the patch. I am happy to run some tests to prove that batting mentality means diddly at the moment over a dozen or so innings, but I only have access to Patch 3. It depends on whether there is enough appetite from other people to see it fixed I guess, but you would certainly have another PC version customer here if it were fixed.

Interestingly enough, I cracked open Cricket 2004 today and batsmen were able to be "sloggers" or "stone wallers", and yes it had a nice effect on their approach. I am not sure how the other settings such as "talisman" made a difference though.

in all honesty, i think the focus of our feedback has been more at the level of "the AI isn't chasing the totals in t20 correctly", "why are they throwing their wickets away with helicopters in tests?", "why don't they play off the back foot?" and "why is step outside off and smash it to leg a go to shot?" rather than batsman x or y isn't playing aggressively/conservatively enough in respect of their mentality. that certainly would be awesome, it's a frustration of mine too, but i think as far as the AI goes we are in baby steps territory. my personal targets for the AI are to get them using their bowlers properly, setting good fields in a reasonable manner, and presenting an interesting challenge to dismiss (in which frequent and varied edges that aren't always wickets, bat pads, varied and lively pitches all feature). i think the beta has given some good ideas for all of those, but how achievable they are given time and budget constraints i don't know.

if i had my way, the focus of changes between 14 and 17 would have been almost entirely on the AI, but it is what it is. we can throw hissy fits like blueballs or captain boreoff, or make the best of it. i've had some great fun in DBC17: if the patch gets close to what everyone on both sides of the beta (BA & testers) want, there will be lots more fun to be had for everyone.

i'm sure the beta conversation would stay private and rightly so. but it's certainly not been a love-in: we've been frank when we felt things were going off the wrong track or focus. the fact that we can do that without calling Ross a charlatan on a money grab, or demanding everyone in QA be sacked don't mean we're an echo chamber telling them everything is great.

D

Deleted member 46200

What, its 1st May tomorrow? - time does fly when you are having fun, eh?
Yes it is May considering you support City I thought it would be a blessing! Could be playing each other next season???

No news is good news! Means more time to prefect everything Patch 4 that is not City.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
in appeal for sanity that i am sure would be ignored, can I just say that the present state of the beta is an improvement, but there are still issues. people should be willing to trade another week or 2 or even 3 or more of waiting for a better patch.

i have no information regarding the date, so don't read anything into that. nor do i know if this will be the last patch or they plan 1, 2 or 15 more. but my assumption is always that each patch might be last, so i want them to be the best they can be.

stay patient fellas and fellasses.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
What, its 1st May tomorrow? - time does fly when you are having fun, eh?

I'd be annoyed if they waited for the last minut of A
in all honesty, i think the focus of our feedback has been more at the level of "the AI isn't chasing the totals in t20 correctly", "why are they throwing their wickets away with helicopters in tests?", "why don't they play off the back foot?" and "why is step outside off and smash it to leg a go to shot?" rather than batsman x or y isn't playing aggressively/conservatively enough in respect of their mentality. that certainly would be awesome, it's a frustration of mine too, but i think as far as the AI goes we are in baby steps territory. my personal targets for the AI are to get them using their bowlers properly, setting good fields in a reasonable manner, and presenting an interesting challenge to dismiss (in which frequent and varied edges that aren't always wickets, bat pads, varied and lively pitches all feature). i think the beta has given some good ideas for all of those, but how achievable they are given time and budget constraints i don't know.

if i had my way, the focus of changes between 14 and 17 would have been almost entirely on the AI, but it is what it is. we can throw hissy fits like blueballs or captain boreoff, or make the best of it. i've had some great fun in DBC17: if the patch gets close to what everyone on both sides of the beta (BA & testers) want, there will be lots more fun to be had for everyone.

i'm sure the beta conversation would stay private and rightly so. but it's certainly not been a love-in: we've been frank when we felt things were going off the wrong track or focus. the fact that we can do that without calling Ross a charlatan on a money grab, or demanding everyone in QA be sacked don't mean we're an echo chamber telling them everything is great.

I then just wonder why something like the mentality setting was there in the first place if it was too ambitious to be properly implemented in the game. I also wonder if I would be bothered by the lack of it if the actual setting wasn't there to play with!

As in DBC14, the academy gave the whole thing a veneer of having a really in depth A.I engine, where things like judgement and being precise really matter, whereas in actual fact it was a bit block and smash. At worst it feels like false advertising.

D

Dutch

I then just wonder why something like the mentality setting was there in the first place if it was too ambitious to be properly implemented in the game. I also wonder if I would be bothered by the lack of it if the actual setting wasn't there to play with!

As in DBC14, the academy gave the whole thing a veneer of having a really in depth A.I engine, where things like judgement and being precise really matter, whereas in actual fact it was a bit block and smash. At worst it feels like false advertising.
Its in there, its all in there and is meaningful but its needing time to come out....I dont think it is a case of not having meaning in the game.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Its in there, its all in there and is meaningful but its needing time to come out....I dont think it is a case of not having meaning in the game.

Well I'll believe it when I see it but it is good to see there are so many people with a passion for the game using their free time to improve it.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
Like movies there's an incredibly large cutting room floor - not all things work out as you'd like - there's a lot been done that just never sees the light of day.

The daily "are we there yet" since the middle of the month is the very reason we are loathe to give dates in advance of the work actually being completed. As to what is in or out of the patch, there will be an announcement soon.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Like movies there's an incredibly large cutting room floor - not all things work out as you'd like - there's a lot been done that just never sees the light of day.

The daily "are we there yet" since the middle of the month is the very reason we are loathe to give dates in advance of the work actually being completed. As to what is in or out of the patch, there will be an announcement soon.

So it's released on the 28th April 2017?

D

Deleted member 46200

The only thing I can suggest is don't get a family car blow all your cash on a Ferrari that way there's no back seat for anyone to say such rubbish!

Settle down for the long haul.

BononFi__er

School Cricketer
I should say their but it's very 'him' dominated here and seeing as I'm the only member of the superior sex and so many jump out of the pram we'll keep the status que... Unless other females are on here... ?

Wait for the bomb to drop when patch 4 doesn't come out end of April (just me saying).

Add one for the superior sex, I was just on holiday for a week.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

i think they have a minor effect, but it's maybe inconsistent. but it's very difficult: if i'm bowling to a defensive player but it's an absolute road and i'm serving up dross should they smash me round the park? if it's grassy and cloudy and hooping like a banana should the attacking player rein themselves in?

i think the AI could have been designed better from the ground up, but i say this after the fact based on the outcome and the minor peeks behind the curtain we've got in the beta, rather than as some AI guru... as I say we are where we are. within the constraints we have i believe there is still an excellent game underneath that we are getting closer and closer to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread