Ashes Cricket General Discussion

gkvarma18

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Six hitting is very easy even in veteran and legend difficulties without resulting single edge .It's definitely will be looked by BA in the coming patch guys.
Edge frequency, six hitting, some batting shots like (cut , flick and pull) will be fixed for sure as i hope.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Sorry no, my mistake. All modifiers that make batting more difficult. Shot force is at 30.
I had a game last night, well, batted the first innings of an ODI. I can't remember the exact settings, I'd upped the Minimum Bowling Speed, adjusted some of the spin settings and reduced swing and seam settings, it was a pretty good batting experience. Medium and Fast Medium bowlers have a higher low speed (personally I don't mind the top speeds on default Maximum Bowling Speed). I would say it is still too easy to hit sixes towards the end. I generally save my slogging for the last 10-15 overs, think I got 100 in the last ten of a total just over 300.

I'm not really sure if adjusting any of the modifiers will solve that. I think to an extent it may make batting for humans more difficult but also just end up weakening the AI. Even though they hit longer sixes, if they are hitting over the outfield more often - possibly the result of trying to maintain a run rate - they are more likely to create opportunities and struggle hitting over the top.

More than anything though it was the field settings used by the AI, combined with a lack of good death bowling. There's frequently no fielders in the deep on the leg side or deep on the off (long off to deep cover) and it is too easy to pick a spot where there's little to no risk and hit it out the ground without fear of being caught because there's no fielder on the boundary.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I have cracked max pace speed up a bit. Feels more real that way in terms of visuals. Does turning that down make it more challenging? I think going back and turning shot force up while I'm bowling may help? I agree though. Limited overs experience at the moment is heads and shoulders above Test match cricket, which is a shame since that's my favourite format.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I had a game last night, well, batted the first innings of an ODI. I can't remember the exact settings, I'd upped the Minimum Bowling Speed, adjusted some of the spin settings and reduced swing and seam settings, it was a pretty good batting experience. Medium and Fast Medium bowlers have a higher low speed (personally I don't mind the top speeds on default Maximum Bowling Speed). I would say it is still too easy to hit sixes towards the end. I generally save my slogging for the last 10-15 overs, think I got 100 in the last ten of a total just over 300.

I'm not really sure if adjusting any of the modifiers will solve that. I think to an extent it may make batting for humans more difficult but also just end up weakening the AI. Even though they hit longer sixes, if they are hitting over the outfield more often - possibly the result of trying to maintain a run rate - they are more likely to create opportunities and struggle hitting over the top.

More than anything though it was the field settings used by the AI, combined with a lack of good death bowling. There's frequently no fielders in the deep on the leg side or deep on the off (long off to deep cover) and it is too easy to pick a spot where there's little to no risk and hit it out the ground without fear of being caught because there's no fielder on the boundary.

Yup the poor AI fields, especially no fielders on the leg side (mostly fine leg), is a major issue.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I have cracked max pace speed up a bit. Feels more real that way in terms of visuals. Does turning that down make it more challenging? I think going back and turning shot force up while I'm bowling may help? I agree though. Limited overs experience at the moment is heads and shoulders above Test match cricket, which is a shame since that's my favourite format.
I find the minimum bowling speed increases the low end pace you get from seamers. Medium pacers consistently bowling in the 60s or Fast Medium averaging about 80mph is more frustrating to me than anything. I had Fast Medium bowling mid 80s to a high of 96 and Medium pacers 66-80. These were 1992 World Cup teams that I've skilled, I've made sure accuracy is high and bowling speed or turn is the second highest skill. All bowlers are set to Balanced. Given the speeds I'd be tempted to reduce the bowling speed skills and increase the swing and seam.

Yup the poor AI fields, especially no fielders on the leg side (mostly fine leg), is a major issue.
I don't know if it's something being done in the beta, or even if it's a useful suggestion someone would like to take on board. But I think taking field maps of where people are hitting and comparing with the fields that are used (they must be able to identify those that are used in the 41-50 over period) could at least give an idea of how a field needs to be adjusted, new fields need to be added or changes made into the lines and lengths that bowlers use.

azkhan

Associate Captain
Is it because it's their first Tennis Game and they're trying to build a loyal community for the new IP?

I'm worried about their next games in their tennis series? All good with building the community but at least make each game stronger then the last?

Six hitting is very easy even in veteran and legend difficulties without resulting single edge .It's definitely will be looked by BA in the coming patch guys.
Edge frequency, six hitting, some batting shots like (cut , flick and pull) will be fixed for sure as i hope.

You wish. You seem very sure it will be looked at. Any way let's see what BA will do.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I don't know if it's something being done in the beta, or even if it's a useful suggestion someone would like to take on board. But I think taking field maps of where people are hitting and comparing with the fields that are used (they must be able to identify those that are used in the 41-50 over period) could at least give an idea of how a field needs to be adjusted, new fields need to be added or changes made into the lines and lengths that bowlers use.

I don't think you can work on enhancing batting or AI in a cricket video game without factoring in the AI fields as they go hand in hand. Both the AI and the batting (shots and their placement) are complementary to the default AI fields. As an example let's say Big Ant fine tune the batting and enhance back foot shots along with fixing the issue of some shots not going as intended (e.g., backfoot lofted cut shot going towards Extra Cover instead of 3rd man region). And say they also enhance the AI in terms of bowling proper line & length (in the channel outside off most of the times) and minimizing extras & freebies. This would all come down to zilch if the default AI has fields with 3 slips with no fielder deep in the cover region or nobody deep behind square on the leg as you can get easy boundaries despite enhanced batting and AI resulting in the same frustrating experience.

That's why IMO Big Ant has to first look at the AI fields. That has to be the starting point. Focus on some core group of default AI fields for shorter formats and Tests for pacers and spinners. As an example if I've to pick a field for a odi (or T20) with 5 fielders out I would have Deep Fine Leg, 3rd man, Deep Cover, Long on and Long Off as my default field. Now if I intend to bowl short of length delivery, I might bring in Long Off in to mid off and have a Deep Mid Wkt (or Deep Square Leg). Similarly if my strategy is to bowl fuller (yorkers) outside off, I might bring in Fine Leg to short fine Leg position and have a Deep Point to complement 3rd man and Deep Cover. I mean that's how Big Ant needs to think about AI fields and the AI strategy in general. They go hand in hand coz if you simply look at posting your fielders out at random, it won't help anything and you will end up with a frustrating experience of having AI fields with Deep Mid Wkt, Long On, Long Off, Deep Extra Cover and Deep Point, and end up conceding easy boundaries to fine leg or 3rd man regions.

Another aspect is some sort of situational awareness. As an example, in an odi if the asking rate is 6+ then don't have a field with 3 slips. Put pressure on the batsman by having the max fielders out and forcing them to make a mistake. To make things simple, I would recommend Big ANt go with fields with max fielders outside the fielding circle no matter what the situation in shorter formats. Similarly in Tests the AI has to understand when to attack and when to be defensive but I'm not sure this logic can be patched in. It's way too complicated to be patched in a few days and is part of core gameplay.

Cricket is all about strategy and planning on how to set up & eventually dismiss a batsman, or how to limit the flow of runs in shorter formats. This cannot be done without AI, batting (shots which are consistent across both front & back foot) and AI fields in sync with each other. Even if you miss out on one aspect of the gameplay, you will end up with an unbalanced gameplay resulting in similar frustrating gameplay experience which we are currently facing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46200

Why doesn't Ross post on the forums anymore?when dbc14 was released we used to get lots of feedback from him on these forums,have I missed something?
Maybe he is busy with important things like life but then again managing two games takes a lot of time and effort... Are you on twitter? Join and watch his feed.

UnknownSoul

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Nice to see the forums nice and calm as usual.. :p
Atlest 'something' is happening... when it does, it does.
Zero point in saying 'today's the day, i just feel it'
Just forget about it then WHEN it happens enjoy it.
Some of the absolute rubbish that's been said in here over the past 2-3 months more the last month. It's kept me entertained atleast.

But remember we're all here as we enjoy/love/hate a Cricket game.. Much more to life than a patch today/tomorrow/never

Come on Lets have a group hug... Lets hug it out! :lol

Last edited:

Kass D

County Cricketer
Surely beta team must be knowing what they are working on? Not that those guys will ever tell us ordinary people

D

Deleted member 185125

Same way, zero point in saying "My approach now is to just forget about it then WHEN it happens enjoy it."

D

Deleted member 46200

Surely beta team must be knowing what they are working on? Not that those guys will ever tell us ordinary people
You've answered your own quandary... Have they ever spread gossip... ?

Users who are viewing this thread