Cricket 19 General Discussion

Mr Snrub

International Coach
The game has a lot of improvements to previous versions and in the area where it counts (gameplay), it plays so well for the most part that it sometimes feels like that doesn't need to be discussed as we're all wanting issues that still stand out fixed, so we can enjoy the game more. Still, it's probably important for Big Ant to know what they're on the right track with.

For me one area which feels mostly right is the timing related edges and dismissals. In not all cases but the vast majority, I feel I deserved to go out. The physics feel much more believable too, I've had the odd play on to the wickets where I've bowled or been the one bowled and they feel right. So, great work there.

One area I can't for the life of me understand the direction of though is ratings, for teams in particular. I've downloaded Friedlele's excellent India for example. I can't remember the exact ratings but it's something like:

Batting 96
Bowling 92
Fielding 76

Now what would you expect the overall to be for a team like that, with two stats in the 90's? A 90 overall? Perhaps averaging out at 88? Maybe an 85?

No, it's 79. 79 overall... really? Go through many of the other teams and you'll find the same kind of oddball overalls. I know fielding is important, but seriously it shouldn't affect an overall team score like that. Why not just average out those three numbers? I'm sure that might bring it's own issues, but whatever those are, I'm sure they're being eclipsed by the weirdness currently going on.

Also, the individual player rating system. We could argue day and night about whether or not the new bars are better than ratings out of 100. No we couldn't, there's largely been a consensus of opinion that ratings out of 100 work better for perceptions of skill allocation, especially in games like Fifa.

This is the one area where comparisons with Fifa are acceptable, it's nothing to do with budget, but more to do with logic. How do you create a for example Messi in his prime 93-94 rated player? Currently one of the worlds best batsmen Kohli manages an 82 rating despite his role being batsman and nearly maxed out in all skills available for batting. It doesn't make sense or balance out. If you're a batsman, that's your individualised role and should HEAVILY weight your overall, unless you're an extremely poor fielder. Poor bowling stats should not come into it for an exclusively batting player. Same goes with bowlers, Mitchell Starc's bowling should have an incredible bias on his overall, because that is his role.

Currently all of these issues are making it hard to perceive accurately how well skilled players are and how well balanced teams and players are no matter how well community creators have balanced skills for them.

Please if Big Ant read this, put it on a change list. Somewhere alongside having all the fastest bowlers in the world bowling 151.2, effort ball or not or whatever it seems is going on there.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The five block ratings in this game is miles better than the 100 little blocks.

I basically treat the 5 blocks as being:

block 1 - awful
block 2 - minimal competency
block 3 - decent pro
block 4 - international
block 5 - world class

then add what i think are suitable perks.

aside from the bouncer shit with the AI gifting wides, the gameplay is pretty top notch, I don't even look at the overall ratings

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I basically treat the 5 blocks as being:

block 1 - awful
block 2 - minimal competency
block 3 - decent pro
block 4 - international
block 5 - world class

then add what i think are suitable perks.

aside from the bouncer shit with the AI gifting wides, the gameplay is pretty top notch, I don't even look at the overall ratings
That's a fairly accurate way to look at it based on what we were told and how I looked at it when doing my thing with the skill balancing.

The basic stats will allow you to create equally balanced players and the perks boost them as they are related to skill boosts or nerfs. So, Root and Smith might be fairly equally skilled but perks add little differences. Personally, I'd rather perks were more to do with timing, confidence or other mental aspects of the game (cricket not Cricket 19) but I think they are a great addition and add an extra dimension.

In respect to the wides. What bowlers are you using (mentalities etc) and pitches? It's not something I've experienced recently, and even when I did it was in small doses in the early days of the beta, but I think at least one of the other beta team has.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
Fair enough, I'm sure people will have differing views on this. For example, I feel the perk system has it's merits, but also has a lot of unrealistic elements and is vague with it's level of influence on players. I doubt many of the major sports franchises will be implementing Big Ant's system into their creation areas.

The fact that you don't look at teams overall scores doesn't mean it's not broken. :) As a suggestion, if it's unfunctional and unimportant, perhaps they could just totally remove it.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
That's a fairly accurate way to look at it based on what we were told and how I looked at it when doing my thing with the skill balancing.

The basic stats will allow you to create equally balanced players and the perks boost them as they are related to skill boosts or nerfs. So, Root and Smith might be fairly equally skilled but perks add little differences. Personally, I'd rather perks were more to do with timing, confidence or other mental aspects of the game (cricket not Cricket 19) but I think they are a great addition and add an extra dimension.

In respect to the wides. What bowlers are you using (mentalities etc) and pitches? It's not something I've experienced recently, and even when I did it was in small doses in the early days of the beta, but I think at least one of the other beta team has.

any aggressive or brute bowler, it becomes unplayable.

initially i thought it was just on hard pitches, but i've just had it on a "very soft" pitch.

on a green top with overcast conditions, I dismissed the AI for 126 in 60ish overs. Batting, I was really struggling and should have been 20/2 off 17 overs, but instead I was 45/2. In a low scoring game that's just ruining it.

EDIT - that's with ball bounce 40, pitch bounce default (50).

per @WealeyH advice I will lower the pitch bounce too

Mr Snrub

International Coach
any aggressive or brute bowler, it becomes unplayable.

initially i thought it was just on hard pitches, but i've just had it on a "very soft" pitch.

on a green top with overcast conditions, I dismissed the AI for 126 in 60ish overs. Batting, I was really struggling and should have been 20/2 off 17 overs, but instead I was 45/2. In a low scoring game that's just ruining it.

EDIT - that's with ball bounce 40, pitch bounce default (50).

per @WealeyH advice I will lower the pitch bounce too

Have played the game a lot now and haven't had it happen at all across tests or limited overs games using a variety of teams and surfaces. I'm just playing with default settings though.

TomEmilioDavies

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Found a good tactic for bowing in LO if you’re a leg spinner, bowl around the wicket to the right handlers, pitching outside off but always coming back in to avoid wides, set a legside field. AI really struggle with it.

john marston

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Can u change the dynamic lineups of all teams in career mode ?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Have played the game a lot now and haven't had it happen at all across tests or limited overs games using a variety of teams and surfaces. I'm just playing with default settings though.

It only comes out with those 2 bowler types as far as I can tell.

speletjiesvraat

School Cricketer
The one area that I really hope BA put most of their efforts into for the next iteration, is the fielding team's A.I. It is a bit of a mess at the moment, to be honest.

As others also mentioned, possible tight contests just loose all of its oomph. I was involved in a thriller yesterday where trying to carve out an awesome one-man win for my side in career mode, the bowler just threw it away... We were chasing 265, wickets were tumbling around me, and after opening and getting the team to 247 odd for 8... I was the 9th wicket to fall. I decided to watch the end and not Sim. The winning runs all came in the next over - two wild wide's over the keeper, three no balls and a couple of inside edges that beat the keeper.

And this sort of thing happens too often. The A.I don't seem to look for and exploit my weaknesses. I get into trouble whenever I'm given well directed short balls and most of my dismissals are via poor hook/pull shots or playing short ones off the wrong foot or late, yet the A.I just don't bowl there often enough. They will keep bowling 99% full outside off to a field with 4 slips, 1 gully and a mid off and I can just punch it through the massive offside gap all the way to massive 150+ scores. And this is after having maxed out relevant sliders for bowling quality, or whatever it was...

The contest between bat and ball is so close to being perfect in this game... The good balls do get me into trouble and when I'm in good knick I put the poor ones away with relative ease, but the contest dissipates if the AI can't tell the difference.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The one area that I really hope BA put most of their efforts into for the next iteration, is the fielding team's A.I. It is a bit of a mess at the moment, to be honest.

As others also mentioned, possible tight contests just loose all of its oomph. I was involved in a thriller yesterday where trying to carve out an awesome one-man win for my side in career mode, the bowler just threw it away... We were chasing 265, wickets were tumbling around me, and after opening and getting the team to 247 odd for 8... I was the 9th wicket to fall. I decided to watch the end and not Sim. The winning runs all came in the next over - two wild wide's over the keeper, three no balls and a couple of inside edges that beat the keeper.

And this sort of thing happens too often. The A.I don't seem to look for and exploit my weaknesses. I get into trouble whenever I'm given well directed short balls and most of my dismissals are via poor hook/pull shots or playing short ones off the wrong foot or late, yet the A.I just don't bowl there often enough. They will keep bowling 99% full outside off to a field with 4 slips, 1 gully and a mid off and I can just punch it through the massive offside gap all the way to massive 150+ scores. And this is after having maxed out relevant sliders for bowling quality, or whatever it was...

The contest between bat and ball is so close to being perfect in this game... The good balls do get me into trouble and when I'm in good knick I put the poor ones away with relative ease, but the contest dissipates if the AI can't tell the difference.

Improved AI and scenario mode were the two main trailed features.
I can’t see much evidence of AI progress though I believe it’s still being looked at. Scenario mode is broken if you’re batting because the AI uses batsmen to bowl.

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
Improved AI and scenario mode were the two main trailed features.
I can’t see much evidence of AI progress though I believe it’s still being looked at. Scenario mode is broken if you’re batting because the AI uses batsmen to bowl.
Hey mate I know it might be annoying but a fix for that one is just using team select and change the player to the correct bowler if you like it annoying but that is all I have got

Gamefroggy

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is it better to buy the game on disc or download from PS Store?

Users who are viewing this thread