Indian Premier League - General Discussion

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I see the road very tough for DK in Indian team, as we’ve a plethora of players ahead of him. Venkatesh and SKY are likely the designated finishers and Pant is also one, while I expect Hardik to get back in that mix after this IPL (seeing his bowling return). With the likes of Jadeja, Deepak, Shardul there and also Washington Sundar, I can’t see how DK can get in.

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
What RR felt last night, RCB facing that issue many many years... Team dependent fully on top order, if pitch is good for bowlers, than they have to hold them back and try to score in death overs... And in bowling, even they get early wickets, few bad overs and match is lost... Last 2 wins of RCB where top order failed, but middle and low order players made sure they reach the target is rare thing in RCB history... Even I can't remember when that last happened...

AJ MODS

National Board President
India
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
So chakravarthy will only be a player which is taken in world cup on the basis of ipl performance :sweat:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Same we thought during cwc 2019
But that guy choked

Dinesh Karthik has had his chances tbh, consistency has been an issue with him forever. The only real contribution from him in India colors I can remember is when he played that knock against Bangladesh in the finals of some trophy. Apart from that, nothing.

I dont know how you say that DK has had chances. If you give him isolated chances like Manish Pandey and Karun Nair, IMO, they don't really count in my opinion. Had DK been given a proper run, proper batting positions, fair enough. If you have the guy play one match and sit out for the next 7-8, its not classified as him getting chances.

The persistence that the management showed with the likes of Rohit Sharma, Jadeja -ofcourse those were too long a rope, but DK deserved a good run and he didnt get it.

As to @Gaurav_7 point- the real contribution would have come had he been played in more games. As a finisher, he would be responsible for scoring quick runs and he did that- esp in a team with Dhoni and the top order eating up most of the deliveries.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I see the road very tough for DK in Indian team, as we’ve a plethora of players ahead of him. Venkatesh and SKY are likely the designated finishers and Pant is also one, while I expect Hardik to get back in that mix after this IPL (seeing his bowling return). With the likes of Jadeja, Deepak, Shardul there and also Washington Sundar, I can’t see how DK can get in.

It definitely is tough for DK to break in, but with no one has ,in the recent past/ IPL scored as quickly as DK. As you mentioned, with Pant and Kishan almost certain, the management might not want to take a chance with selecting 4 keepers again. The only way for him is if SKY/ any keeper gets injured.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
What RR felt last night, RCB facing that issue many many years... Team dependent fully on top order, if pitch is good for bowlers, than they have to hold them back and try to score in death overs... And in bowling, even they get early wickets, few bad overs and match is lost... Last 2 wins of RCB where top order failed, but middle and low order players made sure they reach the target is rare thing in RCB history... Even I can't remember when that last happened...

Disagree with the analysis. RR does have power hitters at the top. However, they also have Hetmyer and Samson in the middle with Riyan Parag to follow.

In comparisons with RCB, RR has a much better bowling attack than RCB ever had. RCB, had big names always, but they never delivered. RR's current attack is quite well balanced and has the ability to challenge any side. With the 2 spinners being backed up by Prasidh, Saini and Boult, I think they are placed far better. The DK and Shahbaz blitzkrieg actually took RR by surprise ,more than anything else.

B

Bigby Wolf

Something different about RCB setup this year.

The team might not look like the OLD RCB filled with superstars of top heavy batting order but the stepping of players Shahbaz, Akash Deep with the ball in the last game is something which has never happened with them before.

And Talking about DK , the man has been playing since 2004 never had the consistent run up until 2018 but was given a fair bit of opportunities after that in all three formats till the 2019 WC and he failed.

His role as finisher is spot on in the RCB setup & in all three matches he did finished matches perfectly well for them.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is Harshal Patel the best middle overs spinner in the IPL or does he face competition from Bravo?

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Considering how badly we have struggled for a finisher at international level, what harm is it in considering DK for the job considering how close the two world cups are?

Been saying this since 2018. DK being dropped to avoid uncomfortable questions over Dhoni's spot and on the back of his ODI performances from T20Is was a joke.

I also did state that DK 2.0 was unfortunate in that India did never utilize him properly. The few times he did shine in Indian colours was when they accidentally unleashed him in his best element at the death.

My lineup back then had DK in at six or even seven with Hardik and Jadeja playing ahead of him. This was of course back when you could rely on Jaddu and Hardik bowling 8 overs between themselves which hasn't been the case for quite sometime. With SKY and Venky's emergence I don't see an easy path for him back especially in the twilight of his career.

Users who are viewing this thread