Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Well, I've seen more than enough since launch to know that I won't be spending money on this one. Simple as that.

It was fun to follow along in the months up to launch, before the inevitable happened. And still kind of fun watching the car crash "marketing"/launch debacle unfold as well.

Good luck to those that are going to plough on in the hope of finding something worth playing, and fingers crossed for you good folk that some patches bring you more joy down the line.

Maybe I'll bob my head back in after 6 months or so, see what state the game is in.

Dutch

DutchTheOnlyOne
PlanetCricket Award Winner
How anyone from BA can justify this as being “part of the development and release process” is beyond me. Basically asking people to pay to do their work for them and playtest the game. Will get into trouble for saying this but for Planet Cricket just to quietly offer a bug fixing process with no editorial comment on the state of things is a something I didn’t expect to see.

Jake Azazel

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Gotta love how the wording has changed from “a complete overhaul of the fielding systems to provide the most realistic and responsive fielding controls ever seen in a cricket video game” to “fielding extensive rewrites to address misses/overthrows etc”. It’s also extremely funny that he’s asking for feedback from the users on Steam reviews, a place where it is utterly impossible to do so whilst promising to respond to the tickets that they‘ve urged said users to raise.

Meanwhile there has been no such response here or even on their own community forums where JNT’s last post was on September 28th and it was in the AFL section. There’s no response of any kind in multiple threads including the megathread there where he’s been tagged multiple times.

All for the PR I suppose.
Even if they do reply here, I doubt it would be anything different from the company line they are towing in the steam review section. I have over 900 hours in C19 and over 700 hours in C22, and watching GJWeaver's most recent video, I can easily tell after looking at just a few deliveries that none of the “fielding extensive rewrites to address misses/overthrows etc” is true. I agree some of the funny glitches and bugs may happen in any game once in a while and maybe I can ignore those and wait for a patch, but the fielding, which is one of the 3 core parts of cricket, is sadly still broken, and I am confident that no patch can ever change that. Fielders letting catches bounce right in front of them, lazy fielding by a bowler off his own bowling, catches taken outside boundary, all that still happens. Not to mention the numerous clipping issues in stadiums, and players going through each other. Not to mention the seam position jumping around in the bowler's hand before a delivery, and the screwed up release points. Even in C19, cameras were adjusted according to the stadium so that there were no clipping issues. Why can't they do it again 4 years later? The jump in content from C19 to C22 was huge (at least 20 new bowling and batting animations, overhauled stadium creator, more stadiums, etc you name it) which more or less justified the price, even though it was and still is riddled with a few bugs here and there. Comparing to that, there is less than 20% new content in C24, half of which isnt even usable.

It feels like they didn't even play test the game ONCE before declaring it a saleable game.

I'm amazed that they even managed to sell 10 copies of this game without any promotion and the empty promises. This is almost Ashes 13 levels of bad. Maybe not equally bad, but very close.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Theres a whole blurb about the Ashes being this new unique experience with new cut scenes and commentary bla bla bla…..anything noticeable in that regard?
Oh they were doing press ups in the field before the start and one of Stokes chatting to Jimmy before the toss

That was all I saw

AnmolJ

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
I've just watched a youtube video of a guy playing career mode as a spin bowler. Bat pad and bat boot dismissals seem to have returned with a vengeance.

This makes me want to puke.
Something that helps is bowling spin with pro controls. Not every ball will have ideal or good input, which results in variety of dismissals.

Tfiwssirhc

#bemore
ENG....
Manchester Originals
TPCL Titans
Playing an ashes series AI vs AI,Lyon bowled 15 overs on day one and didn't even come close to taking a wicket,so that's a good thing,and it was also cloudy.

Hester

County Cricketer
I'd love to just have short leg moved to a more realistic position and see if that made a difference.
Yeah...
If I remember correctly, it was the WK that took the catches in the guy's video. You know, that bat boot one where the WK runs forward, through the batter and catches it...

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Yeah...
If I remember correctly, it was the WK that took the catches in the guy's video. You know, that bat boot one where the WK runs forward, through the batter and catches it...
Well keepers, like the close fielders, benefit from the ball being very loopy. They can also go through the stumps and batters which reduces the distance they have to cover.

Hester

County Cricketer
Playing an ashes series AI vs AI,Lyon bowled 15 overs on day one and didn't even come close to taking a wicket,so that's a good thing,and it was also cloudy.
This is encouraging but I always found on C22 that the 1st spinner could struggle. It was when I brought a 2nd spinner on (normally the amazing spin bowler, Dean Elgar) that he'd get 3 wickets in his 1st over from bat pad and bat boot dismissals....

Hester

County Cricketer
Well keepers, like the close fielders, benefit from the ball being very loopy. They can also go through the stumps and batters which reduces the distance they have to cover.
True enough. I was just hoping that the AI batters would be better at playing spin than in C22 and the bat pad/boot dismissals would have been fixed.

lynchy4610

Associate Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I’ve played some test match now South Africa vs Australia.

Game play has been solid so far I am bowling and Nortje had Warner in all sorts. Rabada copped some tap. To me it felt like they would defend and leave Nortje as much as possible but Usman Warner and Lab all attacked Rabada hard especially through point.

There was a handful of inside edge for fours and seen maybe 3 4 run overthrows.

Marahaj and Markham unable to breakthrough for me. No dreaded bat pad catches just the one chance for the keeper who dropped it. I don’t do manual fielding never have and never will.

I’ve said it before but the pull shots look great.

I’m at the MCG and there’s not a hint of cloud. Big crowd , green pitch looks like an outfield.

Jansen visibly looks to be swinging it more than anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread