T20 World Cup 2024 (West Indies/USA)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Also 2 grounds that have facility Dallas and Florida have least amount of games and it is a shame. It is just a money grabbing tool as of right now since 80% of the Asian expats live in tri-state of NJ, NY, PA. Not to mention close proximity to Connecticut and Boston where too a lot of Asians live.

Also I see a lot of Canadians traveling to NY. It is going to be chaos. Traffic is already a nightmere. Should have had a stadium in Jersey where there is a lot of land and ample parking spaces.

Just an example, I and missus went to a Vegan food festival and were struck in traffic to enter the arena for 3 and half hours. We eventually decided not to go.
Saw this.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
This wc actually feels like a real world cup. The game will not expand if we keep on playing with top 10 and Kangaroos keep on dominating it.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Saw this.

Yes, you still need to go through NYC as the freeway passes through it. Currently in no traffic it is 1 hour and 36 minutes from me. Almost 130 KM. I might as well go there a day early and sleep in a hotel nearby. I would be surprised players reach on time lol!

I am thinking it will be a 9 am start so that it is a 7.30 PM IST start.

1704472644895.png

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Why am I reading that everytime as Aunty Cup.

Lol :D
When I first moved and read about it, I too read it as Aunty Cup. I was like which Aunty are they playing for?
Post automatically merged:

This wc actually feels like a real world cup. The game will not expand if we keep on playing with top 10 and Kangaroos keep on dominating it.
#BanTheKangaroos

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
34k capacity is decent enough. Comparison with Jay Shah's backyard garden and MCG might not yield good results here.

Onto Jay Shah- an excellent year for him to be in the States- double whammy, Indian Election year+ US Election year. Fun times ahead!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
It is utterly RIDICULOUS that there does not exist a cricket stadium in Eisenhower Park (East Meadow, New York) as of now (January 2024) and in 6 months, that place is going to host the most high profile sporting games of the world - India vs Pakistan and is going to host a massively popular cricket team like India for three games. Unbelievable! Google says that they are planning to start construction only in February/

Yes, you still need to go through NYC as the freeway passes through it. Currently in no traffic it is 1 hour and 36 minutes from me. Almost 130 KM. I might as well go there a day early and sleep in a hotel nearby. I would be surprised players reach on time lol!

I am thinking it will be a 9 am start so that it is a 7.30 PM IST start.

The India games are going to be played in a way that it starts at 8:30PM IST for Indian audiences. Which means it will start at 11AM EDT (New York time) in the morning. Note: Daylight Savings time change will start on Mar 10th and this tournament is played in June.

They will book a few hotels for the players close to the stadium. There are so many Hiltons and Marriotts near East Meadow, NY (where Eisenhower Park stadium is located). But... I am still waiting to see the stadium in Eisenhower Park.

---

I am interested in the India vs USA game or India vs Canada. I definitely wont care to watch India vs Pakistan, as it will be gone within seconds after the ticket sale opens for that 34k capacity stadium. Though being a cricket fan since 28 years (1996 was my intro into cricket), I haven't watched a single cricket match in a stadium including domestic/franchise level. Hoping to fix that this year.

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
They could very well adopt the Stadium 974 strategy from Qatar. Easy to construct and Dismantle the entire thing once the World Cup is done.

Might be the best foot forth seeing for the time being.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
They could very well adopt the Stadium 974 strategy from Qatar. Easy to construct and Dismantle the entire thing once the World Cup is done.

Might be the best foot forth seeing for the time being.
They wont dismantle as MLC T20 will be next post world cup. They ll try to play the games in 3 stadium this year.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Another one of my long write-ups coming up...

My Australian Squad for the T20 World Cup in 2024

I would normally blog this but I feel this is a better place to write my views. Also, I'd not have to bother too much on the presentation. Aussies actually have quite a settled team for this T20 WC, and here I go on my best possible 15-man squad for them, and I feel this is a very strong side despite the number of T20 WC debutants in them compared to last time around-

Batters

1. :bat: David Warner - Probably his last ICC tournament. He's still good enough to open and hopefully he gets a good farewell.
  2. :bat: Travis Head - Has done well in T20Is too ever since they started playing him. Has the attacking aggressive opener mindset that Australia would actually want. I'm not sure if I'd start him, but he's backup opener at least. He's definitely a much changed player now for white ball cricket
  3. :bat: Tim David - Has become Australia's designated finisher in T20Is. Most likely a nailed in starter in their XI too unless his bad form of present continues for too long. He can still hit a long ball though
  4. :wkb: Josh Inglis - First choice WK for Australia in T20Is easily. Imho, Wade is old and despite his decent form in the India Series, Australia better look at the future. With a T20I ton to his name as well now, Inglis is far ahead of anyone else. Only question is will he be able to manage batting a bit down the order to accommodate other Top-order players.
There was no space for Steve Smith, who I would have included if he followed up his insane BBL with international performances. Since he hasn't gotten much chances, feel he'd rather focus on the longer formats now and not take away a deserving slot in the side. Ben McDermott is another option who's stiff to miss out, but his International Consistency fails to match up to these players above.

All-Rounders

1. :ar: Mitchell Marsh - Was one of the key players in their 2021 T20 WC Triumph. Ever since he started batting 3, he has become a changed player. He is the set player for No. 3 in this T20 WC too and can even double up as backup opener as we saw in ODIs. Also, probable Captain as well.
  2. :ar: Glenn Maxwell - Match Winner in both white ball formats. Has 3 T20I tons and is clearly Australia's best ever T20I all-rounder and probably even player. Could have a role at No.4/5 but should bat as much as possible. And his spin bowling will be helpful in the Caribbean
  3. :ar: Matthew Short - One of the most consistent T20 batters I've seen and even though its in BBL, he has shown potential for Australia too and the level of consistency he often has is unreal. He should open with Warner most likely, and his bowling gives a spin option as well.
  4. :ar: Marcus Stoinis - His ODI form may be poor but in T20s he's a different breed of player. Good finisher and helped Australia have that extra depth in 2021's WT20 by also contributing with the ball. Should most likely start in the middle-order, along with David.
  5. :ar: Aaron Hardie - One of the most improved cricketers in Australia, the man who went from a Bowler to a decent Bowling AR who bowled medium-pace to an absolute monster with the bat. Last year's BBL Golden Bat and is 2nd on the list this year. Likely a backup but I'd love to play him over Stoinis. He edges out Cam Green for this spot cause he's absolutely a better T20 cricketer.
Cameron Green is very unlucky to miss the cut here, but Hardie is a better T20 player than him overall. Green did impress in the India Series with the bat opening but that was 1.5 years ago and now he has not played much T20I cricket at all to jump into the discussion. His performance in IPL 2024 could decide things.

Bowlers

1. :bwl: Mitchell Starc - On his day he's probably Australia's best white ball bowler. Might have played less T20Is recently but it's Starc, at the end of the day. I feel he is a much better white ball bowler than tests anyway.
  2. :bwl: Josh Hazlewood - The most consistent quick for Australia in T20Is over these last few years. From not playing T20Is at all to being launched into the format in 2021 and then becoming Australia's lead pacer in the format, Hazlewood is still probably the best pacer for Australia alongside Starc. His T20I numbers have been very good in these last few years, and he is more reliable than Starc.
  3. :bwl: Nathan Ellis - One of the few BBL performers who shined in the International Stage without succumbing to injury or bad form. Ellis is a proper solution to a death bowler in the team and is performing very well in both BBL and for Australia, certainly a better choice than Kane Richardson who they have been persisting with for so long for this spot. Plus he can bat a bit.
  4. :bwl: Jason Behrendorff - One of the best T20 powerplay bowlers in the world right now, and at 33 , after many injuries, Behrendorff is somehow peaking in his T20I career. He was amazing against India and has really proven his worth in the T20I circuit finally, and I feel his form must be rewarded with a spot. He might not play straight away but is a lethal left-arm powerplay option.
  5. :bwl: Adam Zampa - The easy first choice spinner for Australia and probably their most nailed-in bowler in the side and the XI. There's no one even close to him in this aspect and the Caribbean Conditions do require a bit of spin so Zampa is a shoo-in to say the least
  6. :bwl: Tanveer Sangha - It was a tough choice but seeing Sangha's current form and his performance vs India and the start of his career, he's definitely a good attacking spin option to assist Zampa which Australia have really not had in T20Is for a long time. He beats Agar for the spot due to the latter's lack of recent performances, despite his batting bonus. Tough call to do, but Australia may have enough batting to do it.
You might be asking where the WC Winning Captain is, but imho, Australia should not play all of the Big 3 in the T20 WC. Ellis and Behrendorff are performing in T20I series and it would be unfair to not give them a spot in the side and Cummins I feel is a far better bowler in Longer formats, and is probably not that special in T20I anyway. Tough harsh call but I feel it's best for Australia looking at the future. It's probably time to move on from the same 3 and give chances to other bowlers who will soon shape Australia's white ball bowling core as the Big 3 slowly become older and need more workload management.

Agar is another miss which was mainly because he hasn't played a lot recently and Sangha's recent form, but his batting prowess could easily give him the edge and probably get him into the team over Sangha. It's really not an easy call to make, but he's not the most attacking spinner.

My Starting XI

1. :bat: David Warner
  2. :ar: Matthew Short
  3. :ar: Mitchell Marsh :c:
  4. :ar: Glenn Maxwell
  5. :wkb: Josh Inglis
  6. :ar: Marcus Stoinis
  7. :bat: Tim David
  8. :bwl: Mitchell Starc
  9. :bwl: Nathan Ellis
  10. :bwl: Adam Zampa
  11. :bwl: Josh Hazlewood
Would alternate Ellis and Behrendorff based on the requirement for death/powerplay bowling, and the No.4-No.7 positions can be fluid based on the situation. Head will be the backup bat, Hardie backup AR and Sangha backup spinner (unless the pitch is a minefield where he plays)

Probable Travelling Reserves: Ben McDermott, Cam Green, Spencer Johnson, Ash Agar

And that's a side that could probably win the tournament. They just got to make the right decisions.

Last edited:

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
@Viper. you listed Matthew Short in your XI, but not in your squad? Also, I feel Stoinis is past it now.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Shoaib Malik to make a comeback, as he's the only Pakistan to have played T20 cricket in the USA
In that scenario, Hammad Azam, Ehsan Adil, Sami Aslam, Zia Shahzad, Mohmmad Mohsin, Mukhtar Ahmed, Saad Ali, Saif Badar should all be in the squad as well with Malik leading? They all have played in US via MLC.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
In that scenario, Hammad Azam, Ehsan Adil, Sami Aslam, Zia Shahzad, Mohmmad Mohsin, Mukhtar Ahmed, Saad Ali, Saif Badar should all be in the squad as well with Malik leading? They all have played in US via MLC.
MLC technically didn't count as a T20 tournament

Users who are viewing this thread