England tour of India (5 Tests)

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Great win for England. India outclassed on day 4 and 5 completely. How vital were those runs from Rehan and Tom?

I fully expect the pitches to be rage turners now (if I remember correctly, it happened the last time too when England won the 1st Test), which will backfire thanks to our fragile top/middle order.

Hartley had a dream debut.

lordy

Panel of Selectors
Fantasy Cricket Team
So proud of the boys. Tom Hartley sensational character and world class from Ollie Pope. Baz and Stokes the dream team. Fair play to Rob Key for the Hartley pick. India look lost without Kohli
Post automatically merged:

Great win for England. India outclassed on day 4 and 5 completely. How vital were those runs from Rehan and Tom?

I fully expect the pitches to be rage turners now (if I remember correctly, it happened the last time too when England won the 1st Test), which will backfire thanks to our fragile top/middle order.

Hartley had a dream debut.
Oh yes pitches will be minefields now but not sure that helps India necessarily. Means all spinners will be deadly not just their 2 world class ones.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Proven once again that Indian spinners are ineffective unless and until the tracks assist them. Bowling was mediocre , letting a shoulder injured Pope score 200 in the 2nd innings is where the game turned. Rage turners from the next test on for sure, but it might backfire.

Few more pointers:
  • Gill is horrible
  • Rohit's test captaincy put to the question again
  • Indian batsmen choke. It was a 3rd class attack and they were supposed to easily walk away with this. Absolutely poor from India
  • New spinner and Indian batsmen-match made in heaven. England should probably play Bashir instead of Wood, India will hurl to an innings defeat

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
then which one is?
England v Pak at Karachi in fading light
Eng v Aus- Ashes 2010 Down Under
Eng v SA- was it 2013 or 2014 where they beat them 2-1?

This certainly isnt the greatest- for me atleast.The greatest in my opinion has to be one where the quality of cricket played is persistently at a high level+ a good sporting wicket. India didn't play quality cricket throughout the test really.

If you look at the past, teams like SA, Aus and WI have proven to be tougher opponents by virtue of sustaining a 'said' momentum or higher throughout the game.

This win may rank higher for some of you, but really hasn't been that great. India were poor. Had you beaten a dominant India, then perhaps yes.

Bevab

Staff Member
England v Pak at Karachi in fading light
Eng v Aus- Ashes 2010 Down Under
Eng v SA- was it 2013 or 2014 where they beat them 2-1?

This certainly isnt the greatest- for me atleast.The greatest in my opinion has to be one where the quality of cricket played is persistently at a high level+ a good sporting wicket. India didn't play quality cricket throughout the test really.

If you look at the past, teams like SA, Aus and WI have proven to be tougher opponents by virtue of sustaining a 'said' momentum or higher throughout the game.

This win may rank higher for some of you, but really hasn't been that great. India were poor. Had you beaten a dominant India, then perhaps yes.

You're missing some of the context though.

Turning a 190 run deficit from the first innings against any side would be a great comeback on it's own. To do it away from home would be more impressive. To do it against a top three side who have only lost three tests in the last ten years at their home is even more impressive. For the architects of said comeback to be the bloke who looked like a second XI spinner on debut and a bloke who looks diabolical against spin even on the grassiest of pitches makes it even more remarkable. Easy to see why it ranks so highly for most English supporters.

Crassus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Oh yes pitches will be minefields now but not sure that helps India necessarily. Means all spinners will be deadly not just their 2 world class ones.
Yeah for me the worst thing they could do is what they did last time after the first test and create minefields where the test is over inside 6/7 sessions.

That brings England's decent but inferior spinners into play and essentially just turns it into a shoot-out. As in who can blast the most runs before one comes down with their name on it. I'd back the current England team to fare best if that was the case.

Bigby Wolf

Verified
India
Mumbai Indians
The Boys
The key to winning in India is bat well bat big which England rightly did in the 2nd innings.

I thought this was also a rank turner where Pope batted splendidly.

This was not red soil pitch folks where the pitch offer turns right from ball one.

The one in Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Chennai (both have red and black soil options)

Yeah the pitch was tad slow which is what we will get in Ranchi even Rajkot (flattest Indian wicket).

Surprise to see no Chennai, Mumbai and even Banglore around this time.

For India they simply need to attack better with bat and outplay England in bazball which is monumental task considering a lot of our batters are way too defensive.

England with Bazball approach is way ahead of the curve right now.

Bigby Wolf

Verified
India
Mumbai Indians
The Boys
Imagine the English team with Bazball approach with the current English bowling lineup.

500+ runs confirmed on Day 1 itself.

rangersw12

Club Captain
I think it's up there as one of our best overseas wins when you take into account the opposition and conditions the only the one that comes close is Jamaica 1990

Makes the next test really interesting now and what India will do with the pitch . If I was them then I would prepare a flat one and hope they win the toss and bat big putting us under pressure

Selection will be interesting as well especially if Jadeja is injured .

As for England there is a case for Jimmy to come in for Ahmed or Wood and maybe Lawrence for Leach ( assume injured )

I think this win really puts the cat among the pigeons and will be fascinating what both teams do next . Should be a cracking series

Bevab

Staff Member
I’d bring in a batter for Jadeja. The smart thing to do would be to hand Sarfaraz his debut but he isn’t even in the squad…

The alternative would be to bring in Patidar at three and bump everyone else one spot down. I’m not the biggest fan of Patidar in this format but at this point it’s not like he can do much worse than the incumbents.

Users who are viewing this thread