England tour of India (5 Tests)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
But Root is the only bowler with a second innings wicket right now. Speaking of which, either there's one coming soon or Jaiswal is about to go full Astle - he seems to be in a mood.
I want to see 25 overs of Dan Lawrence bowling

giphy.gif

Manuroy

School Cricketer

Mukesh patidar bharat most useless players india picked this decade​

Post automatically merged:

sai sudharsan pradosh ranjan paul
Devdutt Padikkal we got bunch of Young players then why the hell dravid pick these oldies like patidar bharat Mukesh

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Mukesh patidar bharat most useless players india picked this decade​

Post automatically merged:

sai sudharsan pradosh ranjan paul
Devdutt Padikkal we got bunch of Young players then why the hell dravid pick these oldies like patidar bharat Mukesh

Might have to do something with the fact that none of those names you listed can bowl pace or keep in test cricket.

Bigby Wolf

Verified
India
Mumbai Indians
The Boys
Kuldeep in the first session was sensational deserved few more wickets with the way he bowled.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Looks like Stokes and McCullum might get that 500 chase after all. Now wouldn't that be something?

Reminds of the Astle innings that almost got NZ home.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Nah, this one is over unless England take eight wickets in the first hour.
The pitch seems to be holding true, isn't it? A quick 100 will put pressure on the bowlers and don't forget, Ashwin may not be back.

Bevab

Staff Member
Sometimes I wonder why players this Bazball style doesn't suit don't just stick to their own game

Because there isn’t a Bazball style out there really and criticising it for Root’s lack of form seems a bit too far fetched and convenient.

The fundamental philosophy around it seems to be freeing an individual of the worries they may have regarding failure. A traditional coach would have told Duckett that he is supposed to leave the good balls and won’t be picked if he keeps going after nearly every delivery while under Bazball it has been “do what you feel like, buddy”. You pick a bunch of stroke makers and then tell them the same and the result is… hyper aggressive cricket. You wouldn’t get the same with a bunch of stonewallers like Cook and others. Where Bazball does take a stand here is they favour the stroke makers for team selection because they think it helps them win games by taking time out of the equation in winning a test.

When Root is told the same, it’s he who chooses to indulge in the scoops and dinks. Sure, a coach could pull him aside and tell him by now that he’s better served by being himself but you’ll only get the response from Root that “coach, this is me”. Forcing him to then revert to whatever he did before could work but it also runs antithetical to what Bazball is all about and I’d rather see Root try to figure out better ways to be creative with his shots than neutered because he’s got the ability to average highly with the bat whilst also looking cool.

I would also point out Stokes once again as the embodiment of Bazball. Saw a comment on social media about how Stokes played overtly aggressive to the point of being a meme at the beginning just to show his teammates to do what works best for them and that they wouldn’t be dropped if they do so and I’m inclined to agree. He’s averaging close to his career strike-rate since the start of last year and his playing style hasn’t really differed apart from the mad phase where he was trying to hack away at everything. You don’t really see people talk about it though because it doesn’t sell as many clicks.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Because there isn’t a Bazball style out there really and criticising it for Root’s lack of form seems a bit too far fetched and convenient.

The fundamental philosophy around it seems to be freeing an individual of the worries they may have regarding failure. A traditional coach would have told Duckett that he is supposed to leave the good balls and won’t be picked if he keeps going after nearly every delivery while under Bazball it has been “do what you feel like, buddy”. You pick a bunch of stroke makers and then tell them the same and the result is… hyper aggressive cricket. You wouldn’t get the same with a bunch of stonewallers like Cook and others. Where Bazball does take a stand here is they favour the stroke makers for team selection because they think it helps them win games by taking time out of the equation in winning a test.

When Root is told the same, it’s he who chooses to indulge in the scoops and dinks. Sure, a coach could pull him aside and tell him by now that he’s better served by being himself but you’ll only get the response from Root that “coach, this is me”. Forcing him to then revert to whatever he did before could work but it also runs antithetical to what Bazball is all about and I’d rather see Root try to figure out better ways to be creative with his shots than neutered because he’s got the ability to average highly with the bat whilst also looking cool.

I would also point out Stokes once again as the embodiment of Bazball. Saw a comment on social media about how Stokes played overtly aggressive to the point of being a meme at the beginning just to show his teammates to do what works best for them and that they wouldn’t be dropped if they do so and I’m inclined to agree. He’s averaging close to his career strike-rate since the start of last year and his playing style hasn’t really differed apart from the mad phase where he was trying to hack away at everything. You don’t really see people talk about it though because it doesn’t sell as many clicks.
I think Alastair Cook summed it up quite well today. The problem wasn't Root playing the shot but the timing could be questioned tactically. India are down a bowler, Jadeja seemingly on limited duties and Bumrah is the biggest threat who could've been seen off with Root our best player of spin on a wicket not showing too many demons.

Users who are viewing this thread